Home-Made Play Dough

What kid does not like play dough? Now you can make your very own Homemade Playdough! As a mom though…sometimes I am not a big fan. It always seems to get EVERYWHERE. But it is not without its bonuses. It entertains at our home for a long time. And I usually end up joining in the fun. It is hard to resist squishing the warm, soft dough.

Home Made Play Dough wm cover

Pin It

We have used this recipe for several years.  This homemade playdough smells delicious and has a great texture and consistency. Another good thing about this play dough is that if it dries out all you have to do is add a little water to it and it is as good as new. So go ahead and whip some up today. You will be glad you did. I promise. But I can’t promise that it won’t end up all over the kitchen floor and maybe even your carpet if your kids are as messy as mine.

Homemade-playdougn

Home-Made Play Dough

Ingredients

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
  • 1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid or other powdered fruit drink
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup water

Instructions

1. 1. Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid in a medium pot.
  2. 2. Add water and oil.
  3. 3. Stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes.
  4. 4. When mixture forms a ball in pot, remove.
  5. 5. Knead until smooth.
  6. 6. Play and explore with this fragrant, brightly colored dough as you would any play dough.
  7. 7. Put in a plastic bag and refrigerate to store.

Pin It

Comments

1. Debbi says

I love this blogg. Your ideas are so adorable. You are so amazing and talented. I love to see what new things you are doing.

What a sweet comment! You made my day! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this! Hope you continue to enjoy it!

2. Kayla's Korner Designs says

I just made a couple of batches for my kids. LOVE how easy and great this recipe is. Thanks for sharing!

3. charlamagne says

i made it just now and my kids could'nt be happier!!! now i need to go get some more flour and kool aide!! Thanks a lot for this recipe!!

No, you don’t. But it will last longer if it is kept in the fridge. We have had ours for over a year just sitting in the cupboard though and it still works great. If it dries out just add a tiny bit of water and it should go right back to normal…just don’t add too much water.

4. Barbara Shaffer says

Here I am, 4 yrs after your post, trying the recipe! Hopefully, you’re still answering email on this post. I had completely different results from your picture & your comments. I’m hoping the problems are ones you can help me with. I used the recipe as posted for 4 different colors/flavors (wow, nothing like kneading warm playdough!), but the colors were pale, not vibrant like yours & the fragrances were mild & unrecognizable, both initially & after “standing” a few days. I ended up boosting the colors w/food coloring (though it didn’t help much w/the red), but that, of course, didn’t do anything for the lack of fragrance. Any guesses as to what I may have done wrong?

LOL! So glad you shared that with me! We still use this recipe and all my kids still like to play with it! Enjoy it!

5. zarina bagga says

Amy,
    new to the site want to try this recipe but can i skip the fruit drink powder as i donot get the same in india they are all with sugar can i add colour instead of this please let me know i am on facebook and whatsapp too i am on sessenger also.

Thanks

awaiting a reply

Zarina

6. Susan Thompson says

Hmmm got everything else but no powdered drink, I’m gonna test it out with Jelly crystals. Here’s hoping, if night I’ll go back to my old childhood one on the Creme of tartar box for today then give it another go with powdered drink
    ;)

1. [...] add in a little more arts & crafts time & also made Orson some homemade finger paints and play dough. He gets very excited about these things for a few minutes but quickly grows tired of them… [...]