Make Your Own Brown Sugar Scrub

Do you love using those expensive body scrubs but hate paying a small fortune for them? Here is a recipe for a brown sugar scrub that will give you the same results for a LOT less. You can make them for yourself or give some away as gifts.brown sugar scrub 1

Photobucket

Pin It

Brown Sugar Scrub Recipe

1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey

Find a cute jar to put the scrub in. I found some really cute and inexpensive jars at IKEA in all shapes and sizes.

brown sugar scrub 2

Add 1 cup of brown sugar.

Mix in 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil.

2 Tablespoons of honey.

Stir all together and that’s it! Make it pretty and then either indulge in it yourself or give it to someone you care about!

brown sugar scrub

Pin It

Comments

1. Lindsay Lowery says

I just stumbled across your blog and I think it’s amazing! I am for sure going to have to make some jars of this for some fun gifts!

2. Valerie McKenzie says

This is great! It makes your skin so smooth, I just made it with my daughter and we loved it! Thanks!

3. Joy says

I have a quick question: Does the scrub need to be refridgerated? Either way, how long does it stay "good"? I want to know so if I make it for a teacher gift or friend gift, I don't want it to go bad and be embarrassed. Thank you so much for this wonderful idea! Joy

4. **Amy** says

@Joy–Great Questions! I actually did refrigerate mine. The ones I made to giveaway I wrote a little note on the tag mentioning to refrigerate and discard after a couple of weeks. I personally do not know how long they would last, but did not want to take any chances. I also have tried to make them so that I give them away in small amounts so that there are only a couple of uses in each jar. Thanks so much for asking. I should have thought to include that in my original post. Now I think I will!

5. Jen says

Do you know what size your jar was? Was it the Ikea 10 oz jars? I’m trying to find jars for a Church craft day to make this.

6. Allison says

Thanks so much for this grand idea! I just made it to give to my MIL for her birthday and I know she will love it!

7. Chamagne says

Hi! I came across this craft idea on pinterest – it’s a great idea. I don’t believe you need to refrigerate this scrub but I would maybe change the oil to almond oil or jojoba. They have been known to last longer. I made sugar scrubs last year that are still good. This recipe is much less involved than mine was – I made with scents and such. Anyway, thanks – these look amazing!

• n says

will homemade sugar scrubs spoil? I want to make some for gift baskets but if I need to put an expiration date or directions that would be very helpful! i believe my jars are 1-2 oz containers so not big but more than a few uses…

Has anyone kept these for a longer period of time and can you please post an update on how long this lasts and whether it needs to be refrigerated?

I saw this on Pinterest and just made it. It was extremely easy! I used baby food jars so that there are only a few uses out of each jar, they worked great! You get two jars out of each batch. Thanks for the great idea :)

What a great idea to use some baby food jars! A perfect gift size. Thanks for taking the time to share it with me.

10. Mimi says

I used to have my own bath and body business. The recipe itself doesn’t need to be refrigerated. The problem becomes when you use wet hands. Water begins to incorporate into the mix. That is when the fun “germy creatures” begin to grow and reduces the shelf life substantially. The best thing to do is try to use something like wide popsicle sticks to scoop it out and put it on your hands to scrub. I have seen some say vitamin E oil, honey etc are all “preservatives” and this is very untrue. If you make it for a gift, look for a wooden scoop, small wooden spoon or attach some of the wide sticks to use to scoop the scrub out. I love scrubs and they were one of my best sellers!!

• Lanetra says

I wanted to ask what is the best type of preservative to use when making scrubs. I wouldn’t want it to ruin or make anyone skin breakout.

11. Elly says

As soon as I saw the picture I made the recipe. The packaging grabs your attention inmediately. It is wonderful. Leaves hands very soft. Thanks for a diy wonderful and very inexpensive beauty treatment.

12. Angie says

Can y0u use coconut oil instead of olive oil? I have a jar of coconut oil and would love to try this recipe!

13. DeShawn Stodola says

Can I use this for a face scrub? I am looking for something gental enough for face! Wonderful ideas and recepies…. thanks!!!!!!!!!!

14. Kim says

This scrub is fantastic; I made a few batches for some mother’s day gifts, and made extra for me! It smells amazing, the brown sugar exfoliates great, and the honey & oil really left my skin super soft! Must use this all. the. time. Such an easy recipe to whip together to get a quick & affordable polish! I featured this recipe on my Weekend Find blog post this weekend, you can see it here: http://twotendesigns.blogspot.com/2012/05/weekend-finds-mothers-day.html

Thanks for this and all the great recipes!! Can’t wait for the Lemon Sugar Scrub! Mmm.
    -Kim

15. patricia says

Mine separated very fast! is that normal?? it was hard to put it in the individual containers because as soon as i stop stirring it it separates…

I’m having the same issue with seperation,,,dont want to give it as gifts,,it looks awful..:( Any suggestions? cant imagine its suposed to look like this?

16. Marie says

Can you tell me about how long is the scrub good for please? I cant wait to give it a try!

It should last a couple of months in a tight and sealed container if you take precautions to not get bacteria from dirty hands in the jar.

I think coconut sugar should wok just fine. As far as the mineral oil goes, it can plug your pores so I would try to stay away from that oil. Olive oils, almond oil or coconut oils are better for your skin.

17. twila says

Hi, this is a great recipe, i am making lots for my sister, and i tried some, its AMAZING!!!!!

Mu sister made this for me as a christmas present and I had pimples all over my arms neck and face but after using it once i lost 50% of them. Love it. Have a happy holiday!

19. Amanda says

I made this tonight and I have to say it is my new favorite homemade scrub! I love the lemon scent and look forward to gifting these for Christmas, I think everyone else will love it too :)

20. Amy says

I want to make this scrub in a bigger jar. Like a mason jar.
    What would be the new measurements for that?
    please help, wanting to make for christmas gift!

TIA

21. Samie says

I love this so much, I gave it friends and coworkers for a christmas present. Everyone loved it! In fact I got asked if they could just eat it instead, my one friend who used it first said it works wonderfully and might need me to make more. Thank you for sharing it is a great idea that works wonderfully!!!
    Samie

22. Rhonda G says

I am a novice at all things crafty but saw this on Pintrest and thought; Hey! I can do that!

I made the Brown Sugar scrub this morning and loved it! I was so inspired that this evening I made the Lemon sugur scrub ! LOVE it!

THANK YOU for publishing scrubs that even us newbies can make! I plan on giving them as Valentines gifts to my sons teachers and my best girlfriends! This Valentines day will be Sugar scrub sweet!

Yay! I am glad you were able to make them with great success! They really are a fun gift to give and receive. I hope all of your teachers and girlfriends love them too!!

23. Lisa says

Hi! I looked at the comments and one person asked how long do they stay good and if you refrigerate or not. So my question is do refrigerate all of your scrubs or not

I normally do NOT refrigerate them. But some people are worried about that spoiling. It should last for three months if you are careful to scoop out the scrub with clean hands.

24. Noemi says

Hi i just made a sugar scrub but i only put 1 cup of regular cooking oil crisco and 2 cups sugar. my question is “is crisco oil safe to use?’

25. Hannah says

Hi I just made some and tested it. My skin feels quite oily is this normal?
    Is there away to make it less oily?
    I’m using extra vargin olive oil. Could it be the olive oil?
    Any suggestion on what type of oil would be better?
    Please help! Thanks!

26. Vanylla says

Hi, may I know what kind of extra virgin olive oil did you use? Is extra virgin olive oil cold pressed for pasta go acceptable or?

Yes! That should work just fine. Rub a little between your fingers and see how you like the feel of it on your skin!

Love your DIY projects especially the sugar scrubs. I made this brown sugar scrub and added in a few drops of peppermint essential oil. It’s awesome in the bath!!!!

Am planning to make some as anniversary gift for my friend now :D

28. Kristal says

Do you know how much sugar and oil I would need for 65 6oz jars of scrub? Looking to do this as a shower favor. Also do you know where to find chunky brown sugar in bulk?

29. Laur says

I decided to make this face scrub but didn’t want to use my olive oil so i used coconut oil instead. I had some lime zest so tossed that in and a couple of tablespoons of orange blossom honey from Florida. I mixed it with my hands and when I licked my fingers I decided I would not be putting this on my face. It is a perfect vehicle for getting coconut oil into my diet. Now I use this to sweeten my smoothies in the morning. Thank you for the wonderful idea.

Laur

30. lily schwalger says

I’m trying it for my mum for mothers day tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. [...] First off I tried making a Brown Sugar Body Scrub. When my sister-in-law and I went for manicures last week, one of the luxurious parts was the brown sugar scrub that they used on ours hands. It felt so good. My hands were so soft afterwards, I realized I must have looked hilarious touching them so much! Then I remembered that I had found a recipe on Pinterest for a Brown Sugar Scrub (original idea here). [...]

2. [...] jeśli ktoś uwielbia peelingi do ciała – będzie zachwycony tymi pomysłami tak, jak ja! polecam wyszukaną w sieci stronę the idea room [...]