Pumpkin Spice Playdough

One of my fabulous readers, Kristine, sent me this scrumptuous smelling Pumpkin Spice Playdough recipe. So the kids and I made it the other night and spent a couple of hours playing with it. It was so soft and smelled divine!  It is one of our new favorite Play Dough Recipes.

pumpkin-spice-play-dough

My daughter said, “It smells like I am making gingerbread pie!” Is there such a thing? If not, someone should get to work inventing one. This time of year I love everything pumpkin and this was no exception. It took a total of 10 minutes to make and has provided hours of entertainment so far!

Pumpkin Spice Playdough:

2 cups water
orange food coloring (or combine yellow and red)
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 cup salt
4 tsp. cream of tartar
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 cups flour

Combine all ingredients in large pan on stove. Over medium heat, stir until most of the lumps disappear and it thickens up to a dough-like consistency. Put on countertop and knead like bread dough. Store in a air-tight container.

pumpkin-spice-play-dough

This would be perfect for entertaining the kids in the kitchen while you are prepping for Thanksgiving Dinner. I purchased a cute little play dough set from IKEA a couple of years ago and the kids have loved playing with it.

If you like this you might want to try our other Play Dough Recipes:

Home Made Play Dough

Peppermint Play Dough

Halloween Play Dough

Comments

1. Brittany says

LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to have to try it. It's a great alternative to peanut butter play dough. :)

2. Julie Harward says

Oh, you are so sweet! I love this idea…all my grands will be here for about 4 days over Thanksgiving and I will be doing this! Thanks :D

3. mummy_chelle says

Just a quick question – what is pumpkin spice? I haven't heard of it before but maybe we don't have it here in australia? I make the playdough for our kindy and they would like this I think.

4. **Amy** says

mummy_chelle–Pumpkin Pie spice is just a mixture of some common spices. Here is a recipe so that you can make your own.

Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
    (makes 1 teaspoon)

1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/8 tsp nutmeg (freshly grated, if possible)
    1/8 tsp allspice

5. RootsAndWingsCo says

I guess great minds think alike. I just posted this same playdough on Tuesday! I love it! Such a perfect thing for the kids to be playing with right now…and it smells heavenly! I love that the spice even gives the play dough the look of pumpkin pie. I feel like I'm playing with my food! I did not know what was in the pumpkin pie spice before. Quite interesting! Thanks.
    Rebecca of the R&W Gals

6. Valerie says

Mmm.. I can smell it through the internet! I am filing this idea away at thecraftersfilebox.com. Thanks so much for sharing!

7. Stephanie Lynn says

These would make wonderful little gifts for my sons classmates! Thanks for posting! I can't wait to smell this! =)

8. Amanda says

I am curious how well this play dough dries out? Do you think it would work well with cinnamon instead of pumpkin pie spice to make a few Christmas ornaments?

9. Mique (as in Mickey) says

Just made this with my kiddos- perfect Thanksgiving Eve project. Thanks! I linked to it on 30days yesterday.

10. Heather says

My 3.5 year old daughter and I just made this dough recipe. LOVE IT. It’s much softer than the brands you buy in the store and so much easier for her to play with! It smells like FALL!

1. [...] I’ve had scented playdough on my to-do list for a very long time, but I was thinking more along the lines of a fruity version.  Then one day, while exploring Pinterest I ran across Pumpkin Spice Playdough. [...]