Powdered Donut Snowmen Treats

Photobucket

I have to tell ya…I LOVE this post! Donuts AND snowmen! These pictures make me happy! I really like snowmen! Do you remember these other posts I did with snowmen?

1. Snow Man Tutorial
2. Snow Man Oven Mitt tutorial
3. Marshmallow Snowmen
4. Decorative “Snow Ball” Men

Snowmen just make me happy!

(January 2010)

Anyways…Today I would like to share with you how to make these adorable powdered donut snowmen. Now I realize that making snowmen out of donuts is nothing new, but I wanted to make them something that you could actually give to someone as a small gift for the kids’ friends, or for an elementary classroom activity, scout treats, etc. Here is what I did.

First I took a piece of cardboard measuring 2.5 inches square. Then I cut a piece of scrapbook paper the same size and glued it onto the cardboard. Then I took the tip of my scissors and put a small hole in the center of the cardboard.

Photobucket

Then I took a sucker stick and cut one end of the stick off so that it measured about 3.25 inches. I dipped one end of the stick into glue and then stuck it into the hole I made in the center of the cardboard.

Photobucket

Then I simply placed three Hostess powdered “donettes” (the small ones) so that the stick is in the middle of each donut.

Photobucket

Then I took a piece of thick yarn measuring about 10 inches in length and wrapped it between the top and middle donut for the scarf.

Photobucket

I used a piece of candy corn for the nose (which I had leftover from some oreo turkeys we made for Thanksgiving. (I also just noticed some in the candy bins at Target in case you have trouble finding them). For the eyes and buttons I used mini chocolate chips. But, I didn’t like how dull the eyes and buttons were, so to each mini chocolate chip, I added a tiny drop of some black decorating icing in a tube that I had on hand. Much better!

Photobucket

Then for his arms I simply took a single pretzel stick and broke it in half using one half for each arm.

Photobucket

To make his hat, I cut a 2 inch circle for the brim of the hat and a 1 inch circle for the top of the hat. The hat itself was made by taking a strip of black paper that measured 4.5 inches by 1.25 inches and rolling it into a tube.

Photobucket

Roll it so that the 1 inch circle will fit nicely onto the top. Glue it into a roll. Glue the top of the hat on. Then take your scissors and make a hole in the 2 inch circle for the sucker stick to go through and then glue it onto the base of the hat. Now simply slip the hat onto the stick. It should stay in place nicely.

Photobucket

Pretty easy…and so cute! We ate them :)! But wouldn’t they be fun to share with a friend?

Linking up here:

mmm button

★Amy

Comments

1. Tiffany says

My kiddos & I just built a snowman today. I can't wait to grab the stuff to make these tomorrow. Hopefully I can find the candy corn at Target. Thank you so much!!!

2. Veronica says

Adorable! My little girl has a birthday mid January and I have to take a treat on that day for her class. Do you think it would be weird to do this in January? Or is it too Christmasy? Maybe if I make sure to stay away from red and green colors? It's too cute to pass up!

3. Creativities Galore says

Such a neat idea. I love powdered doughnuts so I will definetly be making these :)

4. Torri P says

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! SO CUTE!!! We are totally making these this year! And just a heads up for anyone looking, last time I was at winco…they have candy corns in the bulk section

5. anuska26 says

Oh! I want a snowmen like that! In my country, Spain, we used to buy that kind of Donettes but they don't sell them anymore! I really miss them….

6. Beth says

No way! That is just too cute. I will have to do that this year. Thank you for the fun idea.

7. The Beach Barn says

Too CuTe! What a cute little snack to make for the little ones coming over for our Christmas party. : )

8. Chic Cookies says

This is just mindbogglingly (is that a word?) cute! I can't get over him. I posted a link to your tutorial on my other site (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com).

9. Danielle says

Ahhhh! I love these Amy! I wonder if my kids would just eat them before they actually built the snowman. I can't believe how much you have been dumped on in Utah. Crazy SNOW!!

10. Audrey @ Sweet Cheeks says

Love these! We'll definitely be making these…I'm a big snowman fan too ;)

11. Ananda says

I am going to make these with my husband and our son for his class! Thanks for the inspiration.

12. C.R.A.F.T. says

not only do i LOVE the snowman, i love how you packaged it! come on over and link up to MMM :)

13. Marie {Make and Takes} says

I LOVE these cute snowmen! Mostly that I'll get to snack on powdered donuts as we make these!!

14. Jen says

Amy, you are most welcome. I am actually going to share this idea with my daughter's preschool program. :)

15. Nike@ChooseToThrive says

Oh my heck! These are so ridiculously cute — I'm so off to the store to copy these. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

16. Betsy says

I would use red licorice shoelace for the scarf, an upside down fudge stripe cookie for the base of the has as well as a fudge roll up type of snack cake, cut in half, and put it on top of the cookie for the hat. I wouldn’t even bother with the first few steps as far as using the sucker stick for stability, instead use a bit of piped frosting between the donuts to adhere them together as well as the hat, and VIOLA – a totally edible snowman.

17. debbie says

These are great! I am going to try using a Keurig pod as part of the hat- for a Coffee and Donut gift :)

1. [...] Snowman Donuts – We’re not sure how you’ll ever get through this craft project without eating the donuts, but if you can contain yourself, we think these are just perfect for a kids holiday classroom party. Plus, they are simple enough for the kids to make themselves with a little step-by-step instruction. [...]

2. [...] Snowman Donuts – We’re not sure how you’ll ever get through this craft project without eating the donuts, but if you can contain yourself, we think these are just perfect for a kids holiday classroom party. Plus, they are simple enough for the kids to make themselves with a little step-by-step instruction. [...]

3. The "Make Your Own" Zone Saturday Link List - Presto Chango Christmas Decorating - The "Make Your Own" Zone says:

[...] Powdered Sugar Donuts = A Snowman!The best part of this project is if you get tired of it after a few days, you can eat it [...]

4. [...] Snowman Donuts – We’re not sure how you’ll ever get through this craft project without eating the donuts, but if you can contain yourself, we think these are just perfect for a kids holiday classroom party. Plus, they are simple enough for the kids to make themselves with a little step-by-step instruction. [...]