Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Love me some Cinnamon AND…I love me some bread! So I had no doubt I would LOVE this Cinnamon Swirl Bread!

Photobucket

Yum! This bread was so delicious! It looks more complicated to make than it is too. This is the perfect breakfast for me…toasted cinnamon bread, a piece of fresh fruit or a yogurt and a glass of ice cold orange juice! Doesn’t get much better than that!

I used to buy Cinnaburst Bread from a Great Harvest, but it is now about $5-6 a loaf. That is too expensive for me, especially when I, err the kids can gobble it up in one sitting. So I have tried a couple of different breads and have found one that I really like from The Fresh Loaf via Cooks Illustrated.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Filling/Topping:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
5 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Bread:
1 1/2 cups whole milk, heated on stove top to 110 degrees
4 T. unsalted butter, (3 of them melted)
3 large egg yolks
4 1/4 cup AP flour, plus more if needed
2 1/4 t. rapid rise yeast (1 pkg.)
1 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. salt

1. In a small bowl, combine your filling/topping ingredients. Measure out 1/4 cup of your mixture and set the rest aside.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, and egg yolks. Then, in the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the 1/4 cup of cinnamon mixture, 1 TBSP sugar, yeast, flour, and salt.

3. Using your dough hook, mix on low and slowly add the milk mixture. After the dough comes together, increase your speed to medium and mix the dough until it is smooth and comes away from the sides of the bowl. Your dough should stick to the bottom of your bowl, but not too the sides. You may need to add more flour if needed.

4. Turn out your dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a smooth round ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about an hour, or until dough has doubled in size.

5. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan [I used a 4 x 12 pan from IKEA} with cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface, press dough into a 20 x 8 inch rectangle, with the short side facing you. Using a spray bottle filled with water, lightly spray the dough. Sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar mixture (reserving about 2-3 TBSP), leaving a 2 inch border along the top to seal. Lightly spray the cinnamon sugar with the water.

Photobucket

Roll up from the edge nearest you and finish at the sugarless end. Pinch to seal. Place in the loaf pan seam side down. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to for rise another 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Photobucket

6. Adjust oven rack to middle position, and heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1 TBSP of butter and brush over top of dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar, and bake until top is deep brown, about 45 to 60 minutes. Turn bread out and cool on wire rack.

Photobucket

*Click here for a printable version.

Photobucket

Hope you enjoy it…I sure did! Let me know if you make it, or if you have your own version of Cinnamon Bread that you love!

I know I haven’t shared many crafts with you lately! Feeling a bit “crafted” out after the holidays. But I do have a few in the works that I hope to share with you soon…so hold tight!

Comments

1. Tania says

Hi Amy – this looks divine. I have not been successful with making yeast dough, so I usually just buy dough from the bakery section at the supermarket. I have been experimenting with cinnamon type breads and the last one I made was kinda like cinnabuns – spreading a mixture of butter and brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins on the dough, roll it up, cut in slices, put in a deep baking tray and pour over 250ml of cream and some more brown sugar. It bakes into these amazing buns with a little bit of a sticky caramel sauce which is very nice!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

2. Amanda says

I have very fond memories of my mom making me cinnamon toast when I was a little girl. This is a beautiful bread Amy, bet it tasted great!

3. Andrea Hall says

this looks so yummy!!! I love cinnamon bread! I dont have a knack for baking though. It seems things work out better when I just buy ready made stuff. Your pictures make this look so yummy that I will have to give it a try on a weekend soon!!

4. Amanda says

Mmmmm! This looks so good, will have to try it this weekend, at the moment I'm feeding my cinnamon cravings by sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on toast and popping it under the grill for a minute or so, an excellent quick version!

5. Sarah says

Fantastic pictures!! I have this recipe, but use powdered milk rather than scalding the milk. Great Breakfast…if it lasts til then!

6. claudia b says

I am SO making this. We also buy the $6 cinnamon bread from the store and I would love to find a homemade substitute – will try it today!!!

7. Haley K says

I'm don't think I can express how much I LOOOOOOVVEE cinnamon bread :) Do you thnk I could throw some raisins on top of the sprinkled cinnamon?

Thanks for a SWEET recipe Amy :)

8. Shortcake and Company says

I'm so excited to try this recipe! My SIL made us some whole wheat cinnamon bread for Christmas, and we devoured it!! I'm gonna make this right now!!

9. Joan says

This looks fantastic. Do you think spraying the cinnamon sugar with water after it gets sprinkled on the dough helps keep big air bubbles from forming when it bakes? I always get big gaps when I make cinnamon swirl bread.
    Also, do you think this would work using the dough setting on my breadmaker?
    Thanks!

10. ellie g says

Okay, so Cinnaburst bread from Great Harvest is my son's FAVORITE treat. I've convinced him that you can only get it at his Grandma's house. So he thinks there's a magic store there that makes it. That's partly because I'd eat it, if it was here, and also because I'm too cheap to buy it.

Should I pretend I never read this entry? Or try it and become a hero? Hmmmmm…..
    Geez Amy.
    Now I have a dilemma!

This looks yummy! Maybe I'll try it late at night. Sneaky.

11. Heather says

Thank you!!! I am a cinnamon bread junkie and a cooks illustrated junkie.=) Can't wait to try it and eat it errr share it, with my family.=)

12. Amy {The Idea Room} says

Thanks for the sweet comments everyone!

@Joan–You could totally make this in your bread maker. Just scald the milk first and then add the rest of the ingredients to the bread maker. It should work. Not sure if the water helps, but I had no trouble with the bubbles. I imagine the water could help to seal the dough together though so it doesn't separate.

13. Erna says

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Been looking for the perfect cinnabun/bread recipe and think I finally found it :) I made a double batch and sprinkled about 1/4cup fruit cake mix I had left over from Christmas in the one bread (on top of the cinnamon sugar mix). Came out brilliantly!

14. erinmalia says

Hey Amy. Thanks for sharing this. I couldn't wait and so I did it this morning. I used half white flour and half wheat, which worked well. In addition, I'm too lazy to scald my milk so I warmed it in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Everything else I did as you wrote and it turned out lovely. My nearly-three-year old thanks you!

15. Jeff and Valerie says

This looks great. I'd like to make some. I don't have a dough hook, though. Can I just knead it together by hand? Thanks

16. Erna says

Jeff and Valerie – I don't have a dough hook either, wooden spoon and then hands worked just fine :) Just messy!

17. Amy {The Idea Room} says

@Jeff and Valerie {@Erna}– Yes! You will just have to mix it together and then knead it "the old fashioned way" :) by hand. It will work just fine!

18. Melissa says

I made this yesterday and this morning we had cinnamon swirl bread french toast! It was DELICIOUS! Thanks for the recipe…

I also used silk instead of whole milk and it worked great!

19. The Mom says

Thanks so much for this recipe – it's been sitting in my "Recipes to Try" bookmarked folder for quite a while and we finally tried it last weekend. Can I just say…"OH MY!" What an awesome bread recipe! Love, love, love this! Kids went crazy, Hubs went crazy, Neighbors kids went crazy, house smelled divine…need I say more? Definitely moved to "Keeper Recipes" file! Thanks again! Love the blog, btw.

20. Jensen Family says

This looks amazing!!! Have you tried this recipe with instant milk? If so, what amount of milk and water did you use? Thanks!!

21. Laura says

My family also loves the cinnamon bread from Great Harvest, especially when I make french toast with it. Though I am a fairly skilled baker & cook, I do have trouble from time to time with getting homemade breat to rise. So to save myself from the stress, I buy the frozen bread dough from the store, let it thaw & rise, & I’m ready to go! (this dough also works great for homemade pizza). I am thawing the dough now & will bake this evening with your filling recipe (all others just listed cinnamon & sugar as the filler but I knew there was more & thought it would be brown sugar-thanks for the confirmation & amounts!) for a great french toast breakfast for my kids to start their week tomorrow morning. Greatly appreciated….thank you!

Sounds like a great idea with ensured success! I am admittedly not a great bread maker. And french toast? Yum! You will be your kids hero :)

1. […] week zag ik bij The Idea Room het recept van een kaneelbrood. Maar een heel brood is wel erg veel voor 2 personen. Dus ik […]

2. […] week zag ik bij The Idea Room het recept van een kaneelbrood. Maar een heel brood is wel erg veel voor 2 personen. Dus ik […]