Blooming Canvas Art–Guest Post with Life is Sweet

Hey guys!  I have been playing catch-up from my vacations the last couple of weeks.  Knowing things would be crazy, I asked a real life friend whose blog and family, I *ADORE* to help me out and share a guest post with you today.  So today I would love to introduce you to Haley from Life is Sweet! Here is Haley…

Hi there Idea Room readers! I have to first thank Amy for giving me the opportunity to take up some space on her lovely, ever-creative blog! I hope you all enjoy what I have to share :)
I first saw this adorable concept here, but Annie used hearts to create darling little valentines…I added a little Spring and used canvas.

- stretched canvas (I used two that measured 7×14″…purchased them at Walmart in the craft section)
- textured cardstock (white scrapbook paper)
- acrylic paint (colors of your choice, have fun with it!)
- glue stick
- Mod Podge
- paint brushes (I used the sponge for paint, brush for mod podge)
- scissors

I searched for “flower silhouettes” on google images…and found this great site: J.A. Taylor Designs. I emailed them requesting permission to use their images and they were great to let me :) I just saved the images, inserted them into Word, and printed the two pages.

I smeared the glue stick all over the printed image, and placed it face-down onto the back (smooth side) of the textured cardstock, then smoothed it out.

The picture above doesn’t show extremely well, but you will be able to see the flower’s silhouette which will serve as a guide for where you’ll cut. You may want to trace with a pencil first…then cut.

Lay the cut-out onto a scrap piece of paper, and brush Mod Podge onto the back of the flower silhouette (the paper part, not the cardstock)…do this quickly because the Mod Podge dries fast! Place silhouette onto the canvas, and press firmly yet delicately from behind AND on top. And brush off any mod podge that oozes out from behind the silhouette cut-out.

Now the fun part! The paint colors I was going for were a golden yellow and a dusty blue, but the yellow turned out more orange, so luckily I had some white to mix in and lighten it up a bit. Be sure to test the colors by brushing them onto a scrap piece of paper. I brushed the paint with horizontal strokes…and didn’t go quite to the edge, but left a whispy, brushed look to give it some texture. But as you can see below, you have plenty of options :)

I really like how they turned out! And I’m actually excited to do another project similar with 4 canvas squares and animal silhouettes for my sons room :) There are lots of possibilities with this!!
Thanks again Amy for having me! You’re the best!
xo,
Haley

Thanks Haley!  I love it!  Be sure to stop on over and check out Haley’s other amazing ideas and fun, personal blog posts at Life is Sweet!

Comments

Thank you so much Haley for guest posting! I love this! You are right..,there are so many great ways you could use this idea! Love ya! Amy!

This is such a fun idea! I love that you don’t need any fancy cutting machines for it either. Love it!!
    xoxo,
    Amy

OMGosh I would have never thought of that. I love the blueish one with the simple brushstrokes. That is a stroke of genius. I heart Mod Podge so whenever I see it in use i always perk up. You did a fantastic job, thanks for sharing!

This is a FANTASTIC idea! I’m always lookin’ for canvas ideas. I had never thought of doing it like this. I really like the big, bright blocks of color! And the 3-D effect is AWESOME! I am making a mental note of this technique for sure! Great job!

These turned out beautifully… I ♥ them… *Ü*!
    Just poppin’ in to say “Hi”… and take a look around. My first time here and a new follower… *Ü*. I’m looking forward to visiting with you often. **Lots of Hugs** Deborah

What a wonderful and creative idea from the LOVELY Haley! I love reading her blog…it’s full of little nuggets of creativity, lots of love, and she’s one/third of just about the cutest little family around.

I can’t wait to try this, myself! A perfect way to bring a little bit of SPRING inside! :)

THANKS AGAIN for featuring a project of mine!! I really enjoyed doing it, and am excited to do more! It’s people like you that inspire and support people like me that are just starting to get into crafting and see the joy that comes from creating! You’re awesome Amy :) love ya!

Love it! Love it! Love it!
    I have so bookmarked this and I fully intend on trying this out on the 5 or so canvas’s I have sitting here but have not figured out what to do with yet! The potential and possibilities are endless. Thank you and if you didn’t know already, LOVE IT!!

9. Jaz says

This is one good learning to pernalize my wall. I think i could also this for a card. thanks!

1. […] Veja aqui o passo a passo! […]

2. […] I like canvas art.  I like easy canvas art.  I also like Amy from The Idea Room.  Everything came together in a recent post by guest Haley on Amy’s blog, and you won’t believe how fast and easy it will be for you to create canvases that are gorgeous just like these.  And thanks to Haley for using such a lovely shade of blue (though she didn’t even know it was my favorite color).  Take a peek at the DIY Canvas art tutorial. […]