Red, White and Blue Candied Popcorn

I have one last festive recipe for your Fourth of July or Canada Day festivities (Happy Cananda Day today!!)…Red, White and Blue Candied Popcorn (or Red and White for you Canadians)!  Super easy and delicious and a fun way to celebrate your Nation.

red white blue popcorn 3

Here is the recipe from Cooks.com.

Candied Popcorn

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup water

1 tsp. vanilla

6 cup popcorn (popped)

Few drops of food coloring (optional)

Boil sugar, salt and water to 235 degrees (soft ball stage).  Remove from heat.

Add vanilla.  Pour over popped popcorn and stir until glaze sugars.

red white blue popcorn 1

Pour candy over popcorn that has been placed in a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Mix the candy over the popcorn so that it is evenly spread out.  Let cool and serve.

red white blue popcorn 2

I made two batches so that I could share it with a lot of my friends and family.  One batch red and one batch blue.  Then I just intermixed some regular popcorn pieces into the red and blue mixture to make it red, white and blue.

red white blue popcorn 4

Package it up cute or serve it in a big bowl for everyone to share.

red white blue popcorn

Hope you have some fun holiday plans!  We are spending our holiday with my husband’s family!  We have a lot of fun things scheduled.  Hope all of you stay safe and have a great holiday weekend!

Comments

Thank you so much for posting! I haven’t had this since I was a child, and we won’t talk about how long ago that was! :)
    Can’t wait to make and share! xoxo michele

Layered in the bag like that is to die for cute! I need to try this out, candied popcorn is so hard to find around me and I remember it being around a lot more when I was a kid.

We make a really similar candy popcorn using JELLO! I will have to post the recipe on my blog soon! But I now love knowing that I can recreate this if I am out of JELLO! Thanks for sharing!

4. Deborah~jean says

This popcorn makes me smile….I will make it for the firework show in town…..Bring a bag for everyone to have while we are on are big blanket watching the show…..Thanks for the inspiration…..I just came across your blog and truley love it:)

Had to come back to this post to tell you that I made this for the 4th and the kids loved it! Now, I think it might be one of those things I make for every holiday (orange for Halloween; green and red for Christmas, etc) Thanks for the idea!

Oh that is just too fun. I wish I had seen this in time for the 4th, but I love the idea that RoseMarie has of using different colors for other holidays.

7. Sonia says

Love this idea! I make chocolate covered popcorn, but that melts in the summer and my friends want popcorn all year round.

8. Jenn says

This was so easy and so perfect for the gathering we’re going to for the 4th … Thanks for sharing! Found this to be much less daunting than the jello recipes I had found. I appreciate you!

9. Lauren says

Hi, I loved reading this and decided to try it out. I actually have made many different batches since finding this. I’ve made a Vanilla Orange, colored orange (dream sickle my Fiancee called it), Strawberry colored pink, a Coconut colored blue, and a Coconut run tinted a very light lime green! My Fiancee took some to work today and his co-workers wanted more! LOL Thanks again for the recipe!!!

10. Andrea says

I just made this and it is AMAZING! Thank you for the post. We did purple and added some sprinkles. My daughter is in love!

1. [...] The Idea Room   What do you do for Memorial Day?  I would love to know if you have any traditions!  Also, let me know if you re-created any of the above for your Memorial Day event! How exciting [...]