Easy Halloween Crafts—Homemade Slime

Want a fun and unique non-treat Halloween gift idea for the kids this year?  I recently shared some fun Halloween Playdough a couple of weeks ago as a non-sugared Halloween treat.  In keeping with the non-treat theme, I thought Halloween slime would be another fun option.  I know my kids love this stuff.  And it is an easy Halloween craft to make and can be packaged in some creative ways.  I saw something similar to these test tubes on Martha’s site and decided to make my own version.

slime-recipe

I know many/most of you will not have test tubes lying around your home like I did…don’t ask…long story about how I used to teach high school science! I know you can buy some on Amazon for a few dollars and they are plastic.  And I am trying to get better at making printables.  I struggle with creativity in this area so I am trying to branch out a bit.  I made some labels to go on the test tubes and you can download blank ones which you can then create your own names…or download the pre-named labels that I have pictured.

Halloween-classroom-ideas

And…if a free printable weren’t enough…I made a video demonstrating how we made our slime.  I know…I am getting a little crazy over here.  My son was really excited about it so I thought…why not?  So much easier seeing something then reading directions right?  Especially if you are a creative type.  But I must make a disclaimer…I have no idea what I am doing.  I could not get the two videos together to make just one video, so you get part 1 and part 2.  I am sure there is an easy way…but I was feeling challenged.  And…I sound really boring, monotone and quiet in the video…so you have been warned!  I will see if I can learn how to do this better.

How to Make Slime Part 1

How to Make Slime Part 2

Pretty easy right?  So go and make some for your parties and Trick-or-Treaters.  You can find Borax in the laundry aisle.

Easy-Halloween-crafts

If you don’t want to make slime, you can fill them with playdough using the Homemade Playdough Recipe I shared earlier.  Or go with the common and easy Halloween fall back…CANDY!  Because honestly…can you ever have too much candy for Halloween?

Halloween-classroom-party-ideas

Throw in your favorite sugared treat, slap on some labels and you have a really fun Halloween handout!

halloween treats 1

Click here for the Blank Halloween Test Tube Labels

Click here for the Named Halloween Test Tube Labels

Comments

LOVE the test tubes!! I used to make slime with my jr. high science kids every year for Halloween, but LOVE the idea of putting it in test tubes! Super fun!
    Just pinned it! :)

I am sure you have some of those test tubes lying around too right? Haha Fun activity for your science kids!

this is genius! i want to make slime to pass out to the neighborhood kids! i think that would be so much more fun than candy!!! gong to be the “cool” house this year for sure! off to order test tubes as we speak!

pinning. oh yes!

thank you!

• Tia says

I just wanted to let Jenni know that handing out the slime does sound cool, but could be very dangerous!! Some of the kids might think its food, I know I always screen my kids candy but not all parents do,so even if you write on there that it isn’t food they still might not look! Glue isn’t necessarily that harmful but borax is!

3. Carolina Crafting says

This is an awesome idea for school, parties,etc. Great take on the Martha article.

Yes! I found it at Target last year. Hope you can find something similar. It has black and white stripes on the back of the pillow.

I found this through pinterest! So excited. I’m hosting a “Mad Scientist” themed Halloween party this year. I’m totally making these for the kiddos attending our party (and i’m sure a few adults will want some as well)!

haha! Thanks Kami! I will show them your comment! Especially after I “made” my son go to his Piano lesson today :)

5. Sarah says

Hi Amy, I LOVE this idea… thank you so much for sharing!! Do you know what size test tubes you used? I went to order off Amazon today and didn’t realize there were so many! :) Thanks!!

6. AMY says

I got all the stuff and can not wait to start making this! Thanks so much for the great ideas! I love your blog. We just finished making the pumpkin spice play dough tonight for my daughters pre-k class! Thanks again!

7. Jayne Bergeman says

So cute. We did something similar for a grown up party where we filled the test tubes with jello shooters! We were able to get “test tubes” from a water bottling facility. The plastic bottles are actually shaped like test tubes before they blow them up and put water in. They even had a screw off cap.

8. Carrie Phelps says

Now that my grandchildren are 3 & 5 I’m having my first annual Halloween party this year. I love this idea and will have to purchase plastic test tubes, I was just wondering if your printable labels are meant for 6″ or 16x150mm test tubes? Thanks!

Great idea but can you please tell me if the slime is easily removed from the test tubes? I have some glass test tubes which I’d like to use but if it doesn’t just slide out then I’m afraid the kids might break them trying to get the slime out…thanks!

A lesser known combination for slime is to mix the Elmer’s glue with Stay-flo liquid starch. It makes the same clear slime you find in the vending machines. ooooey goooey fun! Thanks for sharing.

11. dixie says

10 inch test tubes?? Where in the world did you find those, the biggest I can find online anywhere are 6 inches. Help a momma out… haha

12. Cornelia Niehus says

Borax is known as toxical… you shouldn´t use that for something, children like to touch.

1. CraftCrave | Blog | Freebies for Printable Scrapbooking or Cardmaking (large): Wednesday, 28 Sep 2011 says:

[...] Easy Halloween Crafts—Homemade Slime – 1 freebie(s)? [...]

2. Halloween Countdown: Day 31- Test Tube Slime and Treats « Griffin's Honey …A Frugal Mom says:

[...] Get the full slime recipe HERE [...]

3. [...] Kristen from The Crafting Chicks has the cutest guest post over at Eighteen25 for a darling DIY Spider that is a MUST add to your decor list.  Sweet Amy from The Idea Room again, hits it out of the park with her Homeade Slime!  [...]

4. [...] Easy Halloween Crafts—Homemade Slime – The Idea RoomSep 27, 2011 … In keeping with the non-treat theme, I thought Halloween slime would be another fun option. I know my kids love this stuff. And it is an easy … [...]

5. [...] Freebie Drink Label Give Apothecary Jars a spooky look with these printables Creepy treat labels Halloween cupcake picks Mini spooky printable Make custom treat bags Free Halloween Printables Halloween free printable Keep calm and eat brains Say Boo and Scary On Fun Halloween Owl Masks Hoot Hoot Mobile Print Cute Halloween dress-up fun for Boys Halloweenie Dress Up (Boys) Cute Halloween dress-up fun for Girls Halloweenie Dress Up (Girls) Halloween fortune game printables Halloween Fortune Printable Print these and wrap around candles for a spooky candle light look! Halloween decorations- pillar candles Bats halloween banner printable Halloween Banner Halloween treat labels Cute and creepy halloween treats print Slip in these Halloween jokes into your kids lunchboxes. Halloween lunchbox jokes Best Halloween Ideas- Printable Bats Halloween Bats Wall Decor- Template Halloween Sign “Happy Halloween” Free Printable How to make halloween banner All kinds of Halloween Templates for your creative handmade projects 24 Halloween Templates Insert this in your cupcakes RIP Cupcake Topper This activity has paid printables, I shared because I loved it! You can make you own using these as inspiration at picmonkey Halloween Matching Game Printable (Paid) Paper bag and cupcake topper Happy Owl Halloween Halloween Tic Tac Toe Tags and Circles Everything Printable Halloween Party Pillow box template Printable Halloween Treats Love this cup sleeve idea. Free printable cup sleeve Halloween MM Cookies Print Circle Freebie Pumpkin Pops Halloween Party Collection Beware trick or treat “Boo to You”, “Be Spooky” gift tags and stickers This is a fantastic idea. Love the witch face, simply print it and wrap around the trick or treat container. Get Your Witch- Candy Boxes and more Trick or treat halloween print Halloween treat bag tags I love halloween Haunted Hollow Boo Subway Art H is for Halloween Packet Cute! Cookie Ghosts Woooooo Spoooky Spinners Happy Halloween Witch Lunch Box Halloween Haunted House Treat Bag Haunted House Luminary Party Treat Box Template Treat Boxes Slime and nasty things in test tubes with printables [...]