Halloween Play Dough

Need a non-candy small gift item for your kids friends and classrooms this Halloween? Or a fun Halloween Craft?  Why not make some of these mini Halloween Play Dough Characters.

Fill them with some easy to make Play Dough. I love making this Play Dough and shared it with my readers a couple of years ago. It is so soft and smells so good. And you can customize it by just using different packs and flavors of Kool-Aid or any powdered drink mix packet.

Halloween-Play-dough

To make the Play Dough you will need just a few simple ingredients.

Halloween-Play-dough

Homemade Play Dough Recipe

1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons
cream of tartar
**1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid or other powdered
fruit drink

(I did not add the Kool-Aid mix to this batch because I wanted to make several different colors of Play Dough)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water

halloween playdo 1

1. Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and Kool-Aid in a medium pot.
2. Add water and oil.
3. Stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes.
4. When mixture forms a ball in pot, remove.
5. Knead until smooth.

halloween playdo 2 wm

I simply took the ball of white Play Dough and separated into four different equal pieces and then colored each section a different color with a couple of drops of food coloring. Then drop some play dough into some small containers. I found mine at my local craft store for really inexpensive, but you could also repurpose some small baby food jars if you have some of laying around too.

halloween playdo 3 wm

Then I simply decorated each little container to represent some sort of Halloween character with google eyes, pom poms and construction paper.

Halloween-Play-dough

The possibilities are endless! And you can have a fun little take home goody for a lot of different activities.

Halloween-Play-dough

Wouldn’t these be fun to give to your kids classrooms for the Halloween class party? Or as a small party favor? Or give to your kids in your church group? Or if you are feeling extra motivated…make them to give to the Trick-Or-Treaters?

halloween playdo 9 wm

And…because everything is cuter with a label…I have provided a free printable label that can be used to hang on the side of your Halloween Play Dough container or put on the top of it.  Click here for the Halloween Playdough Tags.

halloween playdo 8 wm

Comments

This is such a fun Halloween idea. It’s great that it’s DIY playdoh (since it can even be made gluten-free) & not candy oriented. Thanks for sharing!

Yes! More and more people I know have gluten allergies! And I get sick of all the candy treats. Your welcome!

2. Kris says

I think I have lost my mind. Lol. I am looking for the idea that mentioned Moo.com. Was it on your website and if it was can you resend it to me please? I always think I’ll remember and this proves I can’t and on’t.

Kris

Adorable.. I am going to be doing this for sure, but I am going to take the lazy route and buy mini playdough :)
    thanks for the free labels! So cute

Not lazy! Mom’s only have a limited amount of time. So it is okay to take a shortcut for things that don’t really matter sometimes! Hope your kids love them!

I don’t think I can tell you enough how much I love this idea. It is so stinking adorable Amy. I adore it. I am toooooooooooooooooooooootally doing that for my daughter’s preschool class. Another one of your tutorials that I do.

5. Katie says

Hi Amy,
    These are adorable. What craft store did you get the containers at? And what section of the store were they in?

Thanks!

I got them at my local Ben Franklin Store. They were in the aisle with the cardboard boxes and other container items.

What a cute idea! am a new follower and have pinned his idea. May attempt it for my kids, try to steer them away from too many sweets!

Thanks for being my newest follower. I hope you enjoy following along. I hear you on the sweets…so many for all the holidays…not that I don’t enjoy sweets :)

7. Holly says

What did you use for the mummy? I just love those! These are too cute and a great gift for our halloween fund raiser

8. Holly says

I loved this idea but just ran out of time before Halloween. I’m thinking about doing this for the kids in my daughter’s preschool class for Christmas instead fo the gazillion cookies I know will be floating around. Do you happen to have any Christmas craft pics from the past that you have done my chance? I am not that creative and would do much better if I had a picture to go off of. Just curious and thought I would at least ask. If not, hopefully I’ll find some creativity in my little pinky, maybe? LOL!!
    Thx!
    -Holly

9. Elaine Yang says

These are great. I’m currently putting some together. What did you use for the stem of the pumpkin?

10. becky says

So adorable! Would like to do for my son’s halloween party at school next week. Where did you get those clear containers? Thanks!

11. charmingdate scam says

1. CraftCrave | Blog | Freebies for Printable Scrapbooking or Cardmaking (large): Saturday, 17 Sep 2011 says:

[…] Halloween Play Dough – 2 freebie(s)? […]

2. […] = ''; } Play-Doh eaters anonymousHello world! Welcome to my site !Halloween Play Dough – The Idea Room body { background-image: […]

3. […] document.getElementById('singlemouse').style.display = ''; } Book Review: Blue Like Play DoughHalloween Play Dough – The Idea Room body { background-image: […]

4. […] Halloween Play Dough Turn an unassuming pot of play dough into a super cute Halloween character as a playful offering for tiny tots. Visit The Idea Room for the full, DIY tutorial, from making homemade play dough to crafting the packaging with construction paper and goggly eyes. […]

5. […] Looking for a no brainer and easy Halloween gift? This Mummy has no brain, just unwrap it and you will find Halloween Playdough. Another recipe from the Idea Room. […]