How to make café shelves

I hope you all had a great and relaxing Mother’s Day Weekend. We were lucky enough to have my Brother-In-Law and his family stay with us this weekend. Things were a bit crazy considering that there are 11 kids between us ages 14 to 3…!! But we had a great time playing with them. Now it is time to get back to work.

I had a lot of you comment about the café shelves we have in our newly updated Laundry Room. We made them and so can you. The best part is that they are super easy to make. Win Win for sure.  So if you would like some in your home keep reading…

laundry room 1 wm

How to Make Café Shelves:

1.  Find a pair  of Shelf Corner Brackets.

I used some from Lowe’s that we found in the molding aisle.  We went with the 7 inch size because that is the size that fit the best with the shelf we had chosen.  For one shelf you will need 2 brackets.  If you are making 2 shelves like we did you will need 4 brackets.

2.  Find or make a wall shelf.

We happened to find a nice pre-made shelf at Home Depot.  We loved the chunkier style of it and the that it has some nice decorative molding along the edges.  It was in the closet and storage aisle.

cafe shelves 3

3.  Spray paint your shelves your desired color.

Spray paint was the easiest and fastest option.  Plus—I LOVE spray paint.  It makes me super happy.

cafe shelves

4. Glue your corner brackets on the BOTTOM of your shelf.

Make sure that the back of the bracket is lined up perfectly with the back of your shelf. So that when the shelf is on the wall, there will be no gap between the wall and the bracket. You want them to look like they are holding up the shelf.

We used Gorilla Wood Glue.

cafe shelves 1

5.  Be sure to adjust the bracket and place it in from the edge of the shelf.

We measured ours so that it was set in 4 inches from the side end on both ends of the shelf.

cafe shelves 2

6.  Let Wood Glue dry completely.

laundry room wm

We decided to make our shelves the same size but had debated about making the top shelf a bit smaller than the other one.  Ultimately we decided to go with two of the same size shelves.  I am really happy with how they turned out and feel like the brackets give the shelf a lot of fun character and interest.

Have any of you made any café shelves or something similar for your home? I would love to see them.  I would also love to see if any of you end up making some of these.  I always love hearing from you guys out there!

Linking up here:

Today’s Creative Blog

Comments

Thank you so much Andrea! I knew I needed something and finally found just the right touch I think. Still playing around a little bit…but that is how I always am. :) thanks for stopping by!

This post is perfetly timed for me. I found some old shelves recently that I had used in a previous house and knew I needed them in my powderroom. I am going to get these sweet brackets and dress the shelves up a bit. Can’t wait to try it, thanks!!

So glad it was great timing! These shelves would be fun in a powder room! Lots of fun stuff you can put on them!

2. Laurie says

Very Nice! I have some older shelf pieces to “Get Happy” with some spray paint and install in my baby girls room.

3. Chelsa says

Super cute… looks like I will be making a trip to Home Depot this week… I cant wait to make these for our nursery

These shelves are awesome! The brackets you chose are the perfect touch! If my laundry room was this pretty, I might actually keep up with the laundry. haha. Or not…

I really enjoyed meeting you at SNAP and you were a fabulous speaker. I soooo related to many things you said and I came away so rejuvenated! Your blog and YOU are such an inspiration.

Thank you so much! That is so sweet of you! So glad to meet you too! Wish I could have had more chatting and getting to know people time!

5. Sandy says

I love your blog – when I have my own home again, I’m going through it from beginning to end because I love so many of your decorating ideas – thanks so much for sharing. :)

Love your laundry room shelves (and the rest of the room too!). It looks like such a cheerful place to do laundry (one of my least favorite chores). Thanks for sharing.

Mine too! Funny thing is…I still take my laundry into the family room and fold it while sitting on the couch! And the family room is not nearly as pretty!

No! It gets messy just like the rest of my house! Don’t be! This room originally had stained and holey OUTDOOR carpet in it. Baby steps!

7. kaye says

HI! I would like to know where did you buy the pots for the herbs. or did you make them yourself? thanks

8. Julie says

Gorgeous! I have two questions, how much did the bracket and shelf cost, and do you know what brand/name the shelf was? Thanks!

The brackets were about $7 bucks and the shelf was around $20. Gah…sorry…I do not have a brand name for the shelves. I should have taken a picture. I can’t imagine even not thinking about it since I take a picture of everything!!

9. Shandi Alegre says

We just bought a home and I will actually have a laundry room instead of a laundry closet and I totally want to make these they are amazing thank you so much for the idea and how-to ! :)

Yeah! How exciting for you! So glad to help! I hope you are able to make them and use them in your home as well.

10. Kami says

These are super cute! I have one question and I know it will probably seem idiotic but how did you get them up on the wall? Maybe I’m not looking closely enough or they are just really well hidden but I don’t see any screws holding up the shelves?

The shelves actually came with a metal bracket that you screw into the wall first and then slide the backs of the shelf onto. Super easy and convienient to be able to get the screws into the wall studs. Or you can always put the screw through the brackets and then dab a little putty and paint on it to hide it.

11. Shauntay says

I am a big fan of your blog. I also frequent The House of Smith’s blog and the both of you have amazing ideas. You should doa guest post for each other. ( If you all haven’t already done so)

Haha! I LOVE Shelley. We actually have not done that even though we are friends in real life. That is a great idea. Thanks for stopping by!

12. Shelley says

Hi There, I just found your blog and your laundry room turned out awesome. Was wondering where you purchased the black and white rug in front of the sink? It is the perfect size and I have the perfect spot for it. If you don’t mind, please let me know. Thank you…Shelley

Great information, would rather make them than buy them, they always look better. This space is beautiful and the shelves are a perfect fit. Thank you for sharing!!

Tanya :)

14. Trish says

Wow, just came upon your site and its already in my favorites. LOL. I just love this, its all so organized, quick question, where did you get the awesome rug? Did you make it as well?

I have read so many content about the blogger lovers but this paragraph is actually a
    pleasant paragraph, keep it up.

1. [...] How to make café shelves – 1 freebie(s)? [...]