Chore Card System

Even though it is summer, my kids are still expected to do their daily chores.  We are not perfect at it all the time, but it helps me to feel organized and keep the house clean with the kids home during the day.  My kids are getting older and are pretty good about understanding what is expected of them.  It doesn’t mean chore time always runs smoothly…because…let’s face it…they are kids!  But I came up with a Chore Card Template that seems to be helping.

chore cards

We had an outdated chore chart system that my older kids had outgrown. So I came up with a similar chore card system that was a bit more suited to my older kids who have a better understanding of what a chore entails.  (And that watermelon? Delicious! I love me some watermelon in the summer!!)

chore cards

I simply used an Avery template 8371 for their printable business cards and made up some chore cards.  For each chore I spelled out the exact details I would like them to make sure they complete.  This way they know exactly what is expected of them.

free chore cards

Chore Card Template

My kids each get 1 to 2 Family Chore Cards along with their own Personal Chore Cards which are pictured below.  Each kids personal chore cards are written specifically for their individual needs.  They are to get all their chore cards completed before they are able to play with friends, etc.

chore card 2

The kids were pretty excited about this new system.  The first day of the new chore cards was fantastic!  I have never seen them whip through their chores so quickly and HAPPILY!  The second day, they were a bit less enthusiastic…haha!  But so far the cards are getting the job done.

Want to use them in your home?  I have provided the download for you.  If you use them, I would love to hear how they are working for you!

Family Chore Cards

Personal Chore Cards

Comments

Um, brilliant! I have been trying to pin down a good system for quite a while (my wee ones are three and six), and so far everything I’ve tried just seems sort of haphazard. I think I could add pictures to these for my three-year-old…have them both bring me the cards when they’re done…oh, yes, I love this. Thank you for sharing!!

OMG…I’M PRINTING THESE OUT RIGHT NOW!!! Thank you thank you soooooo much ……YOU ROCK!! You don’t know how long I have been meaning to make these, now that my kids are getting “older”! You saved me so much time!!

Neat idea. I honestly don’t think any chore system will encourage my children to do chores, but I can see how this makes you feel a whole lot more organized.

– The Tablescaper

It does make me feel more organized. And it helps my kids understand what is expected. They do a pretty good job for the most part.

4. djmain says

What a great idea. I would be interested to know how you divide them up between your kids. Do they choose whatever card/room they want to do, or do they choose out of a hat?

Great question. I actually pick one for each kid everyday. I just set them out on the breakfast table so they can get them going first thing in the morning. That way I can match it to what really needs to be done and rotate them through each kid depending on what needs to be done in the house that day.

I LOVE this! My kids are still a little on the young side to do this, but I’m going to pin it for later. Thank you for sharing!

6. Margaret M says

I seem to have missed the post about the $100 Lowe’s gift card winner. I can’t seem to find it. Thanks for your help.

well that is probably because I totally spaced posting it! Oops! Thanks for the reminder. I will announce it tomorrow!

Hi Amy, I printed these out but I was wondering what program you used to create them? My kids have some different chores that I would love to add to these list.

I just used a template I found online. Sorry. I think if you download it you could upload it into your photo program and then erase my stuff and then add your own.

8. Laura T says

Love this! I’m going to adapt it to my classroom jobs so that my students have a clearer idea of what is expected of them. Thanks for the idea!

9. Kim says

Thanks! I can’t wait to get the cards made for my kids.
    New school year has begun so, this will be extremely helpful as I won’t have to “nag”.

10. Jennifer says

Thank you for this idea! I spent the better part of this morning designing my own cards based off your design. I can’t wait to try it out with my kids. I think if they have more specific direction it will be easier for them to complete. Thank you again!

11. Laura says

These are awesome, thank you for sharing them!! I do need to customize them so I’ll be making my own but using yours for ideas. Thank you soo much!
    I also noticed that you have prayer/scriptures on one of your chore cards. I had a negative experience with “quiet times” being a chore or expectation. Of course God worked in my heart many times during those moments, but now I am 34 years old and still struggle with the notion that time with God is something I “have” to do, rather than being able to seek Him from the desire of my heart. If that makes sense. It is something that requires discipline in your life, so I’m not sure where the balance is. Just thought I’d share my own experience with that.

I used your chore cards to create my own… I have mine in powerpoint and am happy to share if I knew where to send them. Let me know!! It really helped to have something to model – saved me a lot of time! Thank you. Laura

13. Tonya says

I am stumbling on to these a bit after the initial post and the link is not working for me. Any help?

14. ALLISHA says

I love the chore cards, but can you please post or email a file that can be changed? like a word.doc?

15. Liz Dombroski says

WOW!! I was just wondering how I was going to do this very thing for our family. I am tired of chores not being half done. THANK YOU!!

16. ALLISHA says

This one cannot be modified. I would love to customize this a bit. As each family has their differences. It’s great though!!