Christmas Vintage DIY Crate

This month, as part of the Lowe’s Creative Blogger team, we were given the challenge to create some Holiday décor items.  I always enjoy these challenges because it gives me an opportunity to finally get some of these projects that are constantly swirling around my head, out of my head and in my home.

vintage-crate

And I am especially excited about this project…a vintage DIY crate!  I have actually spent some time looking around for some of these crates but couldn’t find exactly what I wanted and so I had toyed with the idea of making my own.  But wasn’t quite sure how to go about it.

DIY-vintage

So with this month’s #LowesCreator challenge, I decided that this would be the perfect time to try my hand at making a “vintage” crate.

I picked up some tounge and groove pine boards at Lowe’s and cut off the “tounges” and “grooves” by simply running the boards through our saw.  I picked these boards because they are really thin and inexpensive.

For the front and back of the crate, I cut 6 of these boards so that I had:

6 boards that measured 3.5 inches by 24 inches.

They are 1/4 inch thick.

Then I made 6 more boards that measured 3.5 inches by 7.5 inches for the sides of the crate.

DIY-Vintage-Crate

Then I cut a piece of a pine board 7 x 24 inches.  This is the bottom of the crate.

Then to make the corner supports of the box, I cut 4—7 inch pieces a of 1.5 x 1.5 board.

What…You don’t work in your pajamas? :) My little girl takes pretty good pictures…don’t you think?

Then you will need to nail your crate together. I didn’t use any wood glue on this project, but you can if you want.

I started with the bottom and one of the front pieces and nailed them together. Then I nailed on the back piece to the bottom.

Then you can nail on both sides. Be careful to hold your box exactly where you want it so that it maintains a nice rectangular shape.

DIY-Vintage-Crate 1

Then I nailed the corner supports in and finished nailing the other two front planks to the corner supports.  I chose to leave a tiny space in between each plank to give it a more vintage feel.

After the front is nailed, I added the side planks so that I could match them up with the front. When nailing these on, be sure to keep your corner pieces straight. This is very important to the overall finish of your vintage crate.

Then finally, you will nail the back planks on. This crate is made so that the sides of the crate planks actually show on the front and the back of the crate. I thought this would help with the overall vintage look.  Now your crate is done! Yay!!

Vintage-Crate

To add a label I simply printed out this old vintage stamp that I found in the online Silhouette store.  I transferred it over onto the wood with the old trick of drawing on the back of the design in pencil and then coloring over the top of it so that it ends up on the wood.  Pretty high tech!

Then you simply need to draw the design with a black Sharpie.

vintage-crate

Throw a layer of stain on your crate ( I used a walnut colored stain)…and you have a beautiful vintage DIY crate!

vintage-DIY

I was surprised at how easy this crate was to build.  And was really happy with the overall results.  I love being able to make something JUST the way I want.

I added some pine branches and a berry garland to glam it up and threw in a couple of candles.  As always be super careful when using candles.  And…since I took these pictures, I actually threw a string of white battery powered Christmas lights to give it some more holiday sparkle.

Christmas Vintage Crate-32

When the holidays are over, I can replace what is in the crate so it can be in my home all year long.

Be sure to check out Lowes Creative Ideas and sign up for their free newsletter which is full of creative goodness.

LOWES-Creative-Magcollage1

*I was given a Lowe’s gift card for the supplies to make this crate.  However all opinions and statements are mine.

Comments

I love how it turned out Amy! I’m a fan of working in my pajamas too. You gotta be comfortable when you’re workin’! :)

Beautiful!! I love the way it turned out and I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who gets crafty in my fuzzy pants! : )

That would really be neat for your kindling to. Would be really neat to have it right there so you can grab it to build your fire. I really like it! GOOD job jommers and all! lol

• Tami says

I love this idea Rose! You really could use it year round, just change what you put inside!

Kindling is a great idea to keep in there! The box is so versatile and you can build it the exact size you want.

Whaaa? I LOVE that idea!! With some fun wrapped gifts in it would be so fun! Hmmm. I do have some leftover pine boards :)

Oh! Do I remember those days. Enjoy it! They grow up so fast. My baby is now 5 and I swear she was just born. Give that new baby a squeeze for me. I miss mine!

4. Suzanne says

I am coming to embrace the fact that I am not a DIYer but I can totally appreciate the tutorial. If you feel compelled to make another, I’d be happy to give it a home. :-)

Amy, I LOVE this! It turned out so great! Can’t wait to see all the #LowesCreator posts this month! And, I love to see that I’m not the only one who DIYs in my comfy clothes! :)

6. Tracy says

Thanks for the inspiration. I was just given two ammo boxes yesterday and wasn’t sure what to do with them. Now I know!

7. Kellie says

No problem. Glad I could give you one idea back for all the inspiration you’ve given me! Love your blog.

8. Becky says

Such a great idea! Thanks for sharing and maybe I will get some motivation to make one :)

Totally off topic…..but where did you get your Christmas Stockings? I love them!

9. Venie A says

Love love love this and want to make one this weekend. What kind of tongue and groove did you use? The only ones I saw didn’t have a flat surface.

10. abby says

How much would you say it costs to make this one crate? I’m trying to decide between buying some online or making some… but I’m not sure I trust myself to try to make something like this. ;)

I would say for sure less than $10 if you are buying the wood. You can use the cheapest pine boards for this or even old pallet or fence wood to make it free!

1. […] // // Isn’t this vintage crate beautiful! Here is the deal, it isn’t really vintage and you can make this beautiful Christmas crate on your own!  This gorgeous crate will bring a holiday warmth to any area of your home. Amy, from “The Idea Room”, gives you step by step instruction to help you create this on you own. Follow the link! Theidearoom […]