Boy’s Room Reveal

We finally got around to re-doing my oldest son’s bedroom and adding some fun boys room decor.  He and his younger brother have shared a room since the time the younger one was 18 months old.  My second and third children are 19 months apart in age, so my son was forced out of the crib and into his brother’s room.

Boys-room-ideas

As they got older, and bigger we decided to turn the guest bedroom into our oldest son’s room.  It didn’t make a lot of sense to keep a room empty for guests when our two boy’s were crammed in one room on top of one another.  So we just moved him over into that room but had essentially left it the same…with yellow walls and a flowered bedspread.

Boys-room-ideas

He has been in the room for over a year and a half now.  And I will tell you what…this kid is not a little boy anymore.  He has grown over 9 inches in the last year or so, taller than my height of 5 foot 9 inches and quickly gaining on my husband’s 6 foot 4 inches.

boys-room-decorations

He will be turning 15 here very soon and I think I am having a bit of a “mom meltdown”!  Where has the time gone?  In three very short years he could be out of the house and serving a mission for our church or off to college.  THREE years!?!  I have only THREE summers left with this kid before things change.  Three years goes by so fast!

boys-room 3

So, I made it a priority to get his room finished so that he could actually enjoy it while he is still around…sniff, sniff!

We put the other furniture in storage (the headboard and dresser which were ones that my parents had bought for me when I was a teenager) and made a headboard out of some old pallet wood.  If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen some pictures of this process.  I will share a full tutorial for how we made it here shortly.  Best part…the headboard cost us NOTHING but a little elbow grease!  You can’t beat that!

boys-room 13

We picked up some shelves at Lowes and some décor at Hobby Lobby to add some color to his room.  My son’s favorite color was orange.  He wanted orange walls…I did not.  Orange is my least favorite color.  So we made a compromise…I got my gray walls and we found him this fun orange bedspread at Target.  It is still there right now if you are interested.  And…I actually really love the bedspread…and so does he!

boys-room-decor

We picked up these awesome gray lockers at the  NPS store in Salt Lake City (a salvage and freight recovery company that sells used industrial and office items at a great price).  We picked these babies up for $25.  They had a dent on the side, but it popped right back out with a good hit with a mallet.  There were a bit difficult to maneuver into our basement and through a freakishly weird hallway.  We barely got them in with a fraction of an 1/8 inch to spare.

boys-room 7

This kid loves maps and geography so I knew I wanted to work that element into the room somehow.  I found a map on Amazon for $1 (with a $3 shipping fee haha), but it was perfect.

boys-room 11

We bought it and then put it onto some of our left over pallet wood from the headboard. For the Wood Pallet Map Tutorial click here:  Wood Pallet Map Tutorial

pallet-map

I am so happy with how it turned out.  I was inspired by a picture I found on the internet and will share that with you when I share the tutorial.  It is one of my favorite parts about his new room.

pallet-map 6

This kid LOVES to be around the water.  He is on the High School swim team and just this past week started playing Water Polo with the High School team.  He is still in Jr. High here but is a freshman (Jr. High is 7th through 9th grade) and is allowed to play on the High School teams.  It keeps us busy, but we are enjoying watching him become a man-child ;)!

boys-room 12

We didn’t want to buy him a new dresser since most of his clothes are stored in his closet.  But we found a great deal on a tool chest drawer set over Christmas at Sears and are using that as a dresser.  I figure he will be able to take it with him when he moves out.  He is pretty handy and helps quite a bit on the projects we do around the house.

boys-room 9

I am so happy this is finally finished.  And, now that his room is finished, we have moved on to repainting and refreshing my younger son’s room to make it his own.  And at 12, it might be time to get rid of those Mickey Mouse sheets…!

Comments

Thanks Lacey! He spends a lot of time in there now! Ha! Maybe we would see him more if it were still the yellow and flowers!

1. Robyn Alexander says

Oh my goodness- this room is awesome! I love the lockers & using a tool box for a dresser! Great use of ‘cool’ elements! :) I bet he is in heaven

Thanks Robyn. It is fun to try and think out of the box a bit and he thinks it is cool so that is all that really matters!

2. Heather M. says

I love this room! So unique and grown-up. I’m laughing because I keep telling my soon-to-be 7 year old son that his room really needs to be re-done. We painted it when we first moved into our house in anticipation of him sharing it with his baby sister (they are 19 months apart as well.) Needless to say, that didn’t happen and his room color (a very pretty more pastel-type green) needs to be changed! Thank goodness he’s so laid back and could care less.

Ha! I can totally relate! Nice to know we are not alone! My son is pretty laid back as well. But was so happy to have it more manly! Fun that we both have kids (boy and a girl) both 19 months apart. I love that. And they are good friends. It should work out well for them in high school don’t you think? Having cute friends of their siblings over ;)

You did a great job! He is sure to enjoy that room! I’m working on my son’s room right now too and we are also using maps. I found a ND and MN map in my Grandpa’s van and we’ll be using those. What is your plan for when company comes? We have a guest room that is also my craft room. It could be such a great space if I was brave enough to get rid of the guest bed. (it only gets used about 3 times a year…not sure that’s worth it!)

I love that you found some sentimental maps to use. That makes it all the more special. When company comes we will just move him back over into his brothers room and throw the old bunk bed mattress on the ground. I know how you feel about losing the guest bed! My mother in law comes and stays quite a bit but she has said she doesn’t mind sleeping in my sons room!

That is such a great room! Mature, masculine, fun… perfect!

We were always kicked out of our room for company, I didn’t actually know that people had guest rooms in their houses! My mom was so tricky… but really, it was because no one could handle sharing a room with my little sister ;)

haha! That is too funny! I have one who is a more difficult room mate! Thanks for the sweet comment! We were always kicked out of our rooms as well when we were kids!

His room looks great. I love the colours and the map looks great. My son is 15 next week and was in the USA last week on a school ski trip. While he was away I redecorated his room as a surprise (and to keep me busy so I didn’t stress too much about him being so far away!). I too cannot believe how quickly he is growing and how it only seems like last week that he was a little boy. I hate it but at the same time love seeing him turning into a young man.
    Sam x

What a great and fun surprise for him! And a great way to keep yourself occupied. Hope he loved it and had a great trip skiing. They change so fast!

This is fabulous! Love the orange and grey, and totally digging the lockers in the room! Very boy-ish. And yet still very NICE. Good work!

7. Waco Bayless says

Love what you did and I too love the color orange so, your son is not alone. My living room is orange and, I love it!

I am really liking the orange in there. I think it is fun and cheerful. Never would have thought that before using it. Maybe I will get more daring :) Would love to see your orange Living Room. :)

Thank you Jessica! My son loves the lockers too. Good thing we were able to get them in there. I almost doubted it for a bit there!

8. Michelle says

This looks fabulous!! I bet he just loves it! It’s the perfect teenaged boy room! My middle will be 15 in March. :( So, I completely hear what you are saying about three more years. It just makes me sad. She keeps talking about moving out of state when she graduates. This mama couldn’t handle being that far away from her girl. Enjoy these years left, as it does go in a blink of an eye. I also have a 25 yr old (and a 6 yr old – 3 kids almost 3 decades!). So, I know how fast this flies!

• Michelle says

Forgot to say my 15 yr old is getting a room make over as well. Upgrading to a full sized bed, new bedding, shelves, etc. So excited to get that under way. :)

Looks fabulous! I happen to love orange, and it looks great with the gray walls. My 11 year old son is starting to ask about redoing his room (that has been this way since he was 3)…just pinned a photo so I remember this room when it’s time. Looking forward to the headboard tutorial, too.

10. Lorie says

I love it!!! Can’t wait for the tutorials!!!

And if your boy is anything like mine it will be three years before that room ever looks that nice again!!

;D

So true! This son is actually pretty clean. Not “my” clean, but I can’t complain too much. Some of my other kids? Well…ha…different story for sure!

11. Kim says

I absolutely love your sons room makeover. I had a quick question for you about the headboard. I have totally bought into pallet wood being revamped into walls and headboards, and would love to use this in my own home. My concern has always been finding wood that is not treated with chemicals. We have a huge pile of pallets from my husbands business and it all has a smell to it. I am hearing that it is difficult to find pallet wood that has not been treated. Where are do you find your untreated pallets?

Again, great job in the bedroom. I know 2 boys that would love a bedroom update!

I picked these up from our local plant store. They do not have a chemical smell to them at all and were just plain wood.

I just love this room. I have a son who is 14 and a daughter who is 16. time goes by so fast!! I especially like the bedspread, lockers, and water pics! How did you make the pictures? I would love to know.

The pictures are simply 11×14 photos printed from Costco and then Mod Podged onto some pieces of wood that I painted white!

Thank you Teresa! I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to comment and let me know how you liked it!

13. Jill says

Thanks for sharing!! I LOVE the orange and grey and I LOVE that map too!! Fun! I need you to come and make over my house :-)

This came out really great and I love the pops of orange around the room. That pallet mat wall hanging is pretty awesome too.

15. Crystal says

Amazing!!! I love the orange bedspread with the gray walls. Also, those lockers are great!! You did a fantastic job!! I know how you feel though…I sent my oldest to college this year and I only have 2 years with my other daughter…sniff, sniff…time flies too fast so enjoy every minute!!

So very fast! I never imagined when they were all teeny that it would go so fast! I hope you are doing well with that first one off. When one goes, the others seem right behind! Thanks for you sweet comments!

16. Brenda says

Love Love Love!!! Everything! Thanks as always for your inspiration. My 12 year old keeps telling me he needs bookcases, since he is starting to collect so many books and such. I completely agree. I LOVE the locker idea. It would look more tidy plus he can feel he has safety by locking up his things from his younger siblings! I am totally going to check out the NPS store. Thank you!

Yes! The lockers are big for keeping stuff safe from younger siblings! Hope you can find the perfect set for his room!

17. Christina says

I would really like to know how you made the pallet headboard for your son’s bed. Will you be posting that tutorial too?
    Look your website !
    Thanks

18. Rosemarie says

I love the grey with the orange. I like the floor light as oppose to a table and lamp.

Thanks Rosemarie! He wanted a lamp that wasn’t on his bedside table so this ended up working out well. He can now read in bed or do homework in his bean bag with some extra light.