I don’t know what it is about bananas at my house but they either get eaten up so quickly that I have to snag one for myself before they disappear…or they sit untouched and we are forced to whip up a batch of banana bread. Does that happen at your house too?
If so…then I want to share my favorite Banana Bread Recipe with you. This recipe bakes up a perfect, moist loaf of banana bread. And…I don’t have to force anyone to eat it up as it disappears quickly.
I like to use the extra long bread loaf pans from IKEA rather than the regular sized bread loaf pans. The pans measure 4.5 inches by 12 inches in length. The pans seem to allow the bread to bake evenly throughout the entire loaf, ensuring that the middle of the bread is able to cook fully without the outer layer becoming dry and burnt.
*For a printable version of this Banana Bread Recipe click here: Banana Bread Recipe
Banana Bread Recipe
1 3/4 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsps. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup mashed banana (2 to 3 medium ripe bananas)
1/3 cup shortening or butter
2 Tbsp. milk
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. In a large mixer combine the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add mashed bananas.
2. Mix in the butter (shortening) and the milk and beat together for about 2 minutes.
3. Add in the eggs and the flour until well blended. Stir in the nuts if adding them.
4. Pour batter into a greased bread loaf pan (8 x 4 x 2 inches or the longer 4.5 by 12 inch pan).
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
6. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack and then remove from pan and finish cooling on the wire rack.
If you are not in the mood for Banana Bread and want to use up your ripe bananas in a different recipe, you might want to try another one of our family’s favorite cake recipes…This one is always a big hit…