Best Banana Bread Recipe

I don’t know what it is about bananas at my house but they either get eaten up so quickly that I have to snag one for myself before they disappear…or they sit untouched and we are forced to whip up a batch of banana bread.  Does that happen at your house too?

banana-bread

If so…then I want to share my favorite Banana Bread Recipe with you.  This recipe bakes up a perfect, moist loaf of banana bread.  And…I don’t have to force anyone to eat it up as it disappears quickly.

banana-recipes

I like to use the extra long bread loaf pans from IKEA rather than the regular sized bread loaf pans.  The pans measure 4.5 inches by 12 inches in length.  The pans seem to allow the bread to bake evenly throughout the entire loaf, ensuring that the middle of the bread is able to cook fully without the outer layer becoming dry and burnt.

banana-bread

Banana Bread Recipe

1 3/4 cups flour

2/3 cup sugar

2 tsps. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup mashed banana (2 to 3 medium ripe bananas)

1/3 cup shortening or butter

2 Tbsp. milk

2 eggs

1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

1.  In a large mixer combine the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add mashed bananas.

2.  Mix in the butter (shortening) and the milk and beat together for about 2 minutes.

3.  Add in the eggs and the flour until well blended.  Stir in the nuts if adding them.

4.  Pour batter into a greased bread loaf pan (8 x 4 x 2 inches or the longer 4.5 by 12 inch pan).

5.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

6.  Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack and then remove from pan and finish cooling on the wire rack.

*recipe from BHG

flourish_1_thumb.jpg

banana-bread

If you are not in the mood for Banana Bread and want to use up your ripe bananas in a different recipe, you might want to try another one of our family’s favorite cake recipes…This one is always a big hit…

Cinnamon Banana Cake

cinnamon-banana-cake

Comments

Yum! I’m going to have to pick up one of those pans the next time I’m at IKEA and whip up this bread. I’ve always got some bananas that are a bit past their prime :)

That cake is seriously so delicious!! You will have to let me know what you think if you do end up making it!

2. Tess says

That was the perfect thing to make on a snow day. It popped onto my feed this morning. It is now in the oven. Thank you. Tess

Oh good! I know much of the country is in a deep freeze and storm right now! Hope it warmed you up! Stay safe!

3. amelia says

That is exactly what happens at my house. It drives me crazy. I want that Ikea pan. I’ve got bananas that can’t wait though so i’ll have to use my regular ones.

Glad to know I am not alone! ha! The regular pans works fine too. I just throw a piece of tinfoil over the top of the bread at the end if the middle needs more time to bake.

4. Sharonsharon says

I made this bread tonight. Ate a piece right away. It was ok. Wrapped in foil in put into a large ziplock bag. Let it cool. Cut a piece for my son and I cut myself another small piece. Omg it is delicious. I highly recommend this recipe just left it completely cool

Yay! I like it better after it has cooled too! So glad you like it! Thanks for coming back and sharing that with me. I love to hear from people who have actually tried it out!! Hope you have a great day!!

5. Cindy says

Yes that’s the same recipe I have been using for years…and l keep it covered till 10 min before taking out to brown a bit, BUT. I gotta get those pans from IKEA…great idea for sure…. And the cake looks great!

6. Diane says

Do you think this recipe would work cooking in pint jars and sealing? I would think it would, but concerned about the bananas.
    Diane

I honestly have no idea. I have never tried to do anything like that. Sorry I am not much help. Sounds awesome though.

7. Brandy says

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I lost my favorite banana bread recipe in my last move somehow. This one sounds most like my old one. It’s baking in the oven now! I can’t wait to taste it! Thanks again, I love your other recipes and have new inspiration in my kitchen :)

8. Mary says

Thank you sharing your banana bread recipe. I made it last night and my kids loved it. So needless to say it was gone quickly and I made another tonight. This recipe is a keeper. Thanks again

Hello! I’ve come across another recipe. It’s almost exactly the same but with no milk or salt. I imagine the milk will add moisture (handy if I’m a bit short of banana). Are you able to tell me the function of the salt please?
    Cheers!

10. Monique says

I found this recipe on pinterest. I’m eating a slice as we speak. Delicious! And a hit with hubby and my 15 month old. Thanks so much!

Oh good! I am so glad! It is our favorite banana bread recipe. Thanks so much for taking the time to come back here and share it with us!

11. Kaylee Lino says

my sister and I are making a loaf as I’m typing I hope it turns out as great as yours!

12. Amanda says

How on earth do u get the shortening to mix in with the wet ingredients?? I am not an experienced bread baker, but my shortening stayed all lumpy and never seemed to really mix in :(. I am going to bake it anyway and see what happens!

I just beat them together until it is mostly mixed…there are usually a few small lumps of shortening but they will bake out.

13. Stephanie says

I just made the Banana Bread and it turned out delicious. Next time I will use four bananas.. thanks so much for sharing. .