Chocolate Donuts

Chocolate Doughnuts…or if you prefer…Chocolate Donuts…are one of my all time favorites.

Like if I could have only one dessert ever for the rest of my life…I would choose devil’s food chocolate cake donuts.  The richer and denser, the better.  You know, like those chocolate donuts behind the glass case in the gas station?  Yeah…those.  My all time favorite Chocolate Donuts are from Dunford Bakery.

chocolate-donuts-5_thumb.png

I can’t eat junk food like I used to…so I have to be really careful about what I eat and how often.  I try to limit my bad food choices to special occasions and then eat something that is totally going to satisfy my sweet tooth cravings.

chocolate-donuts-6_thumb.png

Remember when I shared with you my food intolerances?  Yeah that…well, I haven’t shared a lot more about that here with you because there hasn’t been a lot of great progress in that area of my life.  Apparently I am not very good about eliminating 7 MAJOR foods from my diet permanently.  I did super fantastically for eight months and then had a little bit of a break down.

Can I just tell you how exhausting it can be?…thinking, analyzing and planning EVERY. SINGLE. THING you can or can’t eat.  I was going through some personal family struggles and I just didn’t feel like I could continue the rigid diet I was on.  I had a teensy little “tantrum” and pity party for myself and gave myself a little “break”.

chocolate-donuts-7_thumb.png

I was fine for a while and was hoping that I would suddenly be cured and be able to eat some of my favorite things again.  But slowly and surely, I began to feel some of my old symptoms coming back.  Sigh.

So, I am working my way to getting back on track and allowing myself to accept the failures along with the victories.  I have hope that we will get my food issues sorted out.

chocolate-donuts_thumb.png

And, well, at this point you are probably wondering why I am rattling on about my food allergies in a post dedicated to chocolate donuts.  I am not really sure…other than I like them and can no longer eat them, and when the kids wanted a little snack, we thought it would be fun to make our own donuts…so we did.

And if you like chocolate donuts, you might want to make some too…just make sure you eat one for me.  I understand these are pretty good.  Not as good as my Dunford Bakery donuts…but good enough that you just might whip them up next time you get a hankering for a chocolate donut.

Devil’s Food Cake {Chocolate Cake} Recipe

1/4 cup milk

1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar

Glaze Frosting:

1 cup of powdered sugar

2 – 4 Tbsp. of milk

Directions:

1. In a small pan melt the butter or margarine with the unsweetened chocolate. Set aside to cool slightly.
  2. Cream together the sugar and the eggs until light in color. Add the chocolate mixture to the eggs and beat well so the eggs do not cook.  Add 1 cup boiled water (still warm) and blend well. Mixture will be very liquid.
  3. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add this mixture to the chocolate mixture and blend well.
  4. Mix together the vinegar and the milk and stir into the chocolate batter.
  5. Heat donut maker that has been greased and then bake donuts according to the pans directions OR bake in a donut pan for the suggested time and degrees according to the size of your pan.
  6. Let donuts cool on a wire rack until warm and then dip into the frosting glaze mixture.

flourish_thumb.jpg

chocolate-donuts-2_thumb.png

If you could have only ONE dessert ever again…what would it be?

Comments

Boo! I’m so sorry about your diet stuff. It stinks sooo badly. I hope eventually you can add more and more back into your diet. xoxo

Totally get it! Every food conversation can easily be a pity party when there’s food allergies! This recipe looks yummy. I’ll probably try with apple cider vinegar to avoid the corn in white vinegar. Always something!
    Hope you find your way back on track!

There is always something. Thank you for your support Darcie. It means a lot to know there are others who understand!

They look perfect (like from a fancy cupcake/donut shop). My kids would love these. I totally understand about the crazy diet limitations. When my son was a newborn they realized he was allergic to diary and soy (he was hospitalized for 3 weeks because of it) so they had me cut out all dairy and soy for an entire year to nurse him. It was so hard to read every box label, ask every restaurant for ingredients (we cut way back on eating out). This was all before they had better food allergy labels. I was going crazy doing it but I was highly motivated to keep my baby healthy and I had an end in sight (just for a year). I lost 40 pounds that year. I ate super healthy but every bite was a struggle. I’m noticing my body having more intollerances to food this past year and am trying to figure out what is causing it. Food is such a mystery to me. I hope you are able to find a balance in your food journey.

Thank you! I am hoping for the same outcome ;) It is desperately exhausting. And fixing double meals every meal is tough for a mom. Baby steps!

4. Vickie says

I LOVE Dunford donuts!!! Whenever we go to Utah, that is our first stop, then our last stop to bring boxes of them home to Washington!!!! This recipe looks like a good substitute. I”ll have to try them. Thanks for sharing it!!!

Hope you enjoy them. Nothing could replace the Dunford…but they do a good job of getting you a dose of chocolate.

You HAD to mention Dunford. The hubs and I lived in the apts next door to Dunford’s in WJ a few years back. We could smell them making their donuts every morning and I LOVE LOVE LOVE their chocolate cake donuts. By far the best I’ve ever had. Now I live in AZ and crave those donuts of chocolatey goodness. Mmmm. I’ll have to try this recipe for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Oh my gosh…NEVER look at the calories of the Dunford donuts…but I’ll tell you they are worth all 400 calories!!
    I’m totally going to have to try these since I can’t get one at the gas station down here in St George.

7. melissa tilley says

Hi Amy. I do follow you on pinterest but miss pins you make sometimes. I follow you on facebook as well. I would like to pin this and it is easier to pin straight from this post than going into pinterest and finding the recipe or craft. Am I missing something or is there a pin right on this post/recipe? Hope that makes sense. Still new to pinterest and lingo. Thanks!!

• melissa tilley says

Ha. Found it at the end of the post. Couldnt find it before for some reason. Is there anyway you can add a pin it button to the top picture to make it easier to pin?

8. Vash says

I came from pinterest and only because I was curious about why you donuts are tied together with twine. It’s just so goofy and random.