This summer, we restarted a dinner making schedule with the kids! We have done this before when the kids were younger and it only lasted for a few months. This time around the kids are older and the kids are actually enjoying it. This means that each one of my five children are in charge of making our family meal one night a week. On Sunday we plan our weekly menu and each kid is encouraged to come up with the menu for their dinner. I help with suggestions and we try to come up with something different each time.
I am telling you…a mom could get used to this! The kids have been really excited about their meals and it has been fun to see how serious they are taking this. I have had to reign some of them in from creating a 5 course meal…haha! I thought they would grumble more about it…but give it some time…right?! 6 weeks in and we are still doing pretty good.
Some of the best things that have come out of this are the following:
- Kids are learning how to cook and bake.
- WAY less complaining about what we are eating for dinner because they are in charge.
- They realize how much work goes into making a meal and have been much more helpful with the clean up.
- They are eating things that would normally elicit groans and “nose plugged eating”.
- They are branching out and searching out fun new recipes…by themselves!!
We shall see how long it lasts!
My eldest daughter wanted to make some Homemade Macaroni and Cheese in the Crock Pot since we had a really busy day on her dinner night last week. We got this recipe from a friend a couple of years ago…and if you like Macaroni and Cheese…and easy Crock Pot Dinners…you will have to give this one a try. You can also make this in a 9×13 pan and bake it in the oven if you don’t have or don’t want to use a Crock Pot.
Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
8 ounces cooked elbow macaroni
One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick ) of butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
2 large eggs, beaten
Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 5 cups)
Dash of paprika
- In a large 4-quart slow cooker sprayed with cooking spray, mix the macaroni, evaporated milk, milk, butter, salt, pepper, eggs and all but 1/2 cup of the grated cheese.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the mixture and then sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3 hours and 15 minutes.
- Turn off the slow cooker, stir the mixture and serve hot.
*If you don’t have a slow cooker, grease a 9-by-13-by-2-inch pan with butter, add the mixture and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes.
Join Us for New Ideas!