Do you love pizza? All of my kids LOVE it when we make homemade pizza. We even make our pizza dough from scratch most of the time. If you haven’t ever made pizza dough from scratch, you won’t believe how easy it is.
This pizza dough can be made in your mixer or by hand. We usually just mix it up by hand so that I don’t have to clean the mixer…is that lazy? haha!
Pizza Dough Recipe
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour, divided
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups cold water, oil, sugar, and salt in a small bowl and stir together.
- Combine 5 cups of the flour, yeast mixture, and cold water mixture in bowl and mix together until fully incorporated.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface from the left over flour. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 2 minutes). Add the rest of the flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky).
- Set dough aside while finishing your dinner prep if you are using the dough within the next hour to bake.
- Divide dough into two large balls and roll out into two pizza crusts. Roll them thin as they will rise and thicken while baking. (or break into several small pizza dough balls for individual pizzas).
- Top the pizza crusts with your favorite toppings and Bake at 400 fro 18-25 minutes depending on how thick the pizza crust is.
- If you are making the dough to use later, simply divide the dough in half (or more individual pieces), and place in a ziploc bag coated with cooking spray. Seal and chill in the fridge overnight or up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
- You can freeze the dough in heavy-duty, freezer-safe zip-top plastic bags for up to 2 months; thaw dough overnight in the refrigerator.
We love to add a variety of toppings for the kids to throw onto their pizza. Some of our favorites are:
What are your favorite pizza toppings.
Join Us for New Ideas!