One of the best cake recipes out there, is this Earthquake Cake Recipe. It is so chocolatey and decadent, but so easy to make. It will be the perfect cake recipe for your next family get together or birthday celebration. They call this an Earthquake Cake because you kind of just throw the ingredients all together. When the cake bakes, the ingredients move around a little bit and you get a jumbled cake of goodness.
You mix in the cream cheese layer so that you have a swirled mix of chocolate and cream cheese that is so yummy. Each bite of cake has a totally different combination of ingredients and flavors.
You can mix it up so that you add a few different ingredients if you aren’t a fan of chocolate chips, pecans and coconut. Throw in some white chocolate chips, walnuts, or almonds and some cranberries if you want a different mix. Just use the same ratio for a similar item to be substituted!
1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
1/3 cup oil
1 and 1/3 cup water
2/3 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans on the bottom of the pan.
- Take the package of the german chocolate cake mix and combine it with the oil, eggs, and water using a spatula.
- Pour the cake mix on top of the coconut, chocolate chips and pecan layer.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and cream cheese.
- Using a mixer on low speed, beat the powdered sugar into the butter mixture until it’s smooth.
- Spread this mixture on top of the uncooked german chocolate cake in the pan.
- Swirl with a knife to mix the two together in a swirled pattern.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes. Cake should be a little bit gooey on the inside when finished.
Make it today and your whole family will enjoy it!
Thanks for stopping by! xoxo
Would you like more recipes, printables, DIY/Decor, and organization ideas?
Sign up for updates and get a free copy or our Sugar Scrubs eBook!