Looking for some perfect Sugar Scrubs? I share some recipes for several including this amazing Peppermint Candy Cane Sugar Scrub.
Guess what? I have another version of some sugar scrubs for you today. I LOVE these! they make the perfect homemade gift. what could be better than a Peppermint Candy Cane Sugar Scrub
Sugar Scrubs are a great way to add some moisture during the dry winter months and soften up dry and itchy skin. And who doesn’t need that this time of year. It is also a great way to relax during this crazy busy season.
DIY SUGAR SCRUB
Print out a pretty label and add some fun scrapbook paper or bow and you have the perfect hostess, Christmas gift or Holiday gift idea! So pretty right? DIY Sugar scrubs are so easy to make. I bet you even have all the ingredients right on hand in your home now. Its a diy gift that is fun to make, use, and to give and receive. I love that it is also pretty to look at!
CAN YOU USE PEPPERMINT EXTRACT IN A SUGAR SCRUB?
You can use an extract in a sugar scrub. However, I prefer to use essential oils. Essential oils tend to be more pure and have a longer lasting smell and benefits because they are not diluted with other fillers and additives. Be sure you are using food safe and food grade versions of either an extract or an essential oil as you are placing them on the skin. The skin will absorb them into your body so you want high quality oils and/or extracts in your scrubs.
HOW TO USE A SUGAR SCRUB
You can use sugar scrubs in a bath or a shower. Get your skin wet with warm water, then scoop a small amount of scrub into your fingers and scrub your damp or wet skin. You can use your hands, a washcloth or even a scrub loofah to increase the exfoliation. Scrub the skin in a circular motion to cover the entire area. Then rinse the area with warm water to wash away the excess sugar for smooth and soft exfoliated skin.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE SUGAR SCRUBS
Be sure to keep your sugar scrub in a well sealed container. Sugar scrubs should always be scooped with a clean utensil, spoon or clean hands. Keep the sugar scrub out of the humidity. So don’t store it in the shower. Store it in a dryer area and bring in the shower when you are going to use it and then return it to a different area so it can last as long as possible without spoiling.
HOW LONG DO SUGAR SCRUBS LAST?
A body scrub with high quality ingredients should last uptimes to 3 months. Keep them sealed in proper containers and don’t introduce bacteria into them with dirty hands. Keep them out of the humidity so the sugar and the oils do not spoil.
WHAT ARE THE BEST ESSENTIAL OILS TO USE IN SUGAR SCRUBS?
I love using DOTERRA Essential oils. In my opinion they are one of the highest quality oils you can find and are food grade safe.
To learn more about Essential Oils or to join my team, click here:
You can buy Peppermint Essential Oils here: Peppermint Essential Oil
WHAT SUGARS SHOULD I USE FOR A SUGAR SCRUB?
There are several different types of sugars you can use when making a scrub. The bigger the sugar crystal, the more exfoliation the scrub will provide. I also like to think about the aesthetic when choosing a sugar. You can really pick and choose depending on what you want out of the scrub.
WHAT OILS CAN I USE FOR SUGAR SCRUBS?
In this recipe I used almond oil, but any of the following oils work great.
- almond oil
- coconut oil (this oil solidifies at room temperature and will soften when you use it with warm water)
- grapeseed oil
- avocado oil
- nut oils (be careful if gifting this because many people have nut allergies)
- olive oil
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE SUGAR SCRUB
You just need a few simple ingredients to make your own DIY sugar scrub. Here are my suggestions.
- glass jar with wood spoon, or mason pint jar
- small wooden spoon or small wood scoop
- essential oil or peppermint extract
- almond oil, or any of the oils listed above
- Granulated White Sugar (other sugars listed above)
- food coloring
- wooden spoon
- mixing bowls (I love these red and white striped bowls)
- printable sugar scrub label (can be found below)
- baker’s twine or cute red and white striped ribbon
- cardstock for labels
- scissors for cutting labels
- glue stick for attaching label to jars
HOW TO MAKE PEPPERMINT SUGAR SCRUB
- Set out two separate mixing bowls and fill each bowl with one cup of sugar.
- Add the almond oil to each bowl so that the sugar is a nice soft consistency but not too wet.
- Stir together the oil and the sugar in each bowl.
- Take one bowl and set it aside.
- Take the other bowl of sugar and add two drops of red food coloring and mix it together.
- Add 8-10 drops Peppermint Oil to the pink sugar mixture and mix it well.
- Take a clean container and add a layer of pink sugar using a large funnel. A paper funnel works well so the sugar can easily slide into the glass jar.
- Follow with a layer of white sugar.
- Continue until the layers until the jar is full.
- Add the lid to your store-boughtpintjar and wrap up with a bow or ribbon.
- Attach one of my free printable labels!
Peppermint Sugar Scrub
Sugar scrubs make the perfect homemade gift. What could be better than a Peppermint Candy Cane Sugar Scrub.
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup almond oil, divided coconut oil works too
- 2 drops red food coloring or raspberry juice
- 8-10 drops doterra peppermint essential oil
Set out two separate mixing bowls and fill each bowl with one cup of sugar.
Add the almond oil to each bowl so that the sugar is a nice soft consistency but not too wet.
Stir together the oil and the sugar in each bowl.
Take one bowl and set it aside.
Take the other bowl of sugar and add two drops of red food coloring and mix it together.
Add 8-10 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil to the pink sugar and mix it well.
Take a clean container and add a layer of pink sugar using a large funnel. A paper funnel works well so the sugar can easily slide into the jar.
Follow with a layer of white sugar.
Continue until the layers until the jar is full.
HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT SUGAR SCRUB LABELS
If you would like to download the FREE printable sugar scrub labels, click on the link below:
*As always, these labels are provided FREE for your own personal use. Please do not sale them on your sites, etsy stores, etc. or share them with friends and family. Send friends and family here to download their own labels. Thank you!
WHAT OTHER HOMEMADE SUGAR SCRUBS CAN I MAKE?
I have several other fun DIY sugar scrub recipes that I have created and shared here. There are so many scent options and essential oil benefits, so do a little research and create a scrub for anything you feel you would like! Click on the links to be taken to each recipe.
- Frankincense Sugar Scrub
- Myrrh Bath Salts
- Homemade Bath Salts Recipe
- Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub
- Peppermint Sugar Foot Scrub
- Candy Cane Sugar Scrub
- Lemon Sugar Scrub
- Citrus Bliss Sugar Scrub Cubes
- Lavender Sugar Scrub
- Brown Sugar Scrub
- Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub
- Grapefruit Sugar Scrub
- Chocolate Sugar Scrub
- Cinnamon Vanilla Sugar Scrub
THE ORIGINAL HOMEMADE PEPPERMINT SUGAR SCRUB
I am so glad you found me here. This recipe has been shared thousands of times over the last several years since I first shared it. It was even featured on The Ellen Show. I hope you enjoy making, using, gifting this sugar scrub, or receiving it! It has been a fan favorite and one of my favorite sugar scrubs to make and use still! Thanks for referring others back to my site. I always appreciate your support for the time and effort I put in here in my small corner of the internet! :)
BEST ESSENTIAL OILS TO USE FOR SUGAR SCRUBS
I love a good, high quality essential oil. I love DOTERRA Essential oils and use them in my home all of the time.
If you would like to learn more about Essential Oils or to join my team, click here:
You can buy DOTERRA Peppermint Essential Oil here: Peppermint Essential Oil
Be sure to pin the picture below to save this idea! xoxo