It is always a good idea to bake up some homemade cookies! Always! Especially this time of year, when the cooler weather begins to set in. These Soft and Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies are perfect for Fall Weather Baking and for Holiday Parties!
On Sunday afternoons, we love to bake and this past Sunday we all decided that these Molasses Cookies would be perfect. This recipe reminds me of growing up and is the recipe my mom used to make for us when we were kids. She always let us roll the cookies in the sugar and place them on the cookie sheets. I am sure we were more of a hindrance than a help to her and the progress of the cookie baking…but we always felt like we were great helpers in the kitchen.
These cookies are the perfect combination of soft and chewy! You can also add a tasty Sugar Glaze to the cookies if you would like to, but it is optional and they taste just as great without it. But sometimes it is nice to fancy them up a bit if you are taking them to a Holiday Party.
Ginger Molasses Cookies
1 ½ cups Shortening (Butter Flavored Crisco)
2 cups Sugar
½ cup Molasses
4 tsp. Baking Soda
4½ cups Flour
1 tsp. Cloves
1 tsp. Ginger
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Salt
1 Tablespoon Milk
Sugar for rolling cookies OR Frosting Glaze
1 ¼ cups of powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons of Milk
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixer, cream together shortening, sugar, molasses and eggs until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in the milk to give the dough some moisture.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls and then roll them in sugar if not frosting them with the icing glaze.
- Place cookies on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Do NOT overbake unless you want Gingersnaps.
- Let cool on wire racks.
- Glaze the cookies with the frosting if you choose that option, by dipping each cookie top into the glaze and let it sit until it hardens.
*Click here for a printable version of the Ginger Molasses Cookies Recipe.
You will add these to your favorites!
Interested in any of our past cookie recipes? Check out these:
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.