She Be Jammin’

Not me! My sister made all these beautiful jars of freezer jam this past week. She was kind enough to share her pictures of them with us. Now…this girl can take amazing pictures. Seeing her photography is what inspired me to learn to improve my own.

Anyways, I love freezer jam! If you have never made any, you need to…NOW! It is seriously so easy! I totally prefer freezer jam to cooked jams and especially store bought jams. The only exception for me is apricot jam. Apricot jam is so much better cooked.

My sister has inspired me to make some more freezer jam as I did not make any last year. So next week, this is what I will spend one of my afternoons (during naptime) accomplishing. I can’t wait!!

Here is What You’ll Need:

4 lbs. of Fresh Berries or fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, plums, peaches)
1.5 cups of Sugar (amount will vary according to fruit and pectin used. There are some pectins that can be used to make low-sugar or no sugar versions of jam. Read your directions in the pectin package closely).
1 Pkg. Ball Freezer Jam Pectin
lemon juice (see recipe that comes with Pectin; some need it some don’t)

Freezer-safe canning jars or small tupperware containers.

Wash, stem & slice fruit, then place in a shallow pan.
Use masher to crush berries {consistency will depend on how chunky you like your jam}.

In separate bowl, mix together pectin and sugar.
Add mashed fruit to your mixture and stir for 3 minutes.

Scoop jam into small freezer-safe jars or tupperware containers. Let the jam set for 30 minutes, then store in your freezer or refrigerator. Store in your freezer for up to 1 year, or in refrigerator for up to 1 month.

Recipe makes approximately six 8 oz. jars or twelve 4 oz. jars.

Try mixing a couple of different fruits together for a yummy, unique flavor! A jar of jam makes a great gift for friends, neighbors and especially sisters…hint, hint!

Here is a link to another freezer jam recipe using honey and agar flakes.

Comments

1. Clint and Gillian says

I LOVE LOVE LOVE all kinds of jam! My mom makes it every year, I'm so glad you put up this recipe. I am going to try it soon! Thanks!!! :)

2. Karin says

Those pictures are beautiful. Makes one want to make jam just to be able to put all those pretty jars on a shelf ;-)

3. Yara says

great picture.
    I can only make cooked jam, as I have plenty of storage in a cupboard, but no space in my freezer : /
    And, I am thinking I should make some more jam to fill up my cupboard

4. TidyMom says

hey I bet I could do this!! and I have lots of blackberries and peaches in my freezer that we picked down at my father-in-laws log home!

Thanks! I'll let you know if I try!! Any idea where your sis got those great jars?

oh, and yesterday I followed your tut and made a few fabric key fob's!! I'll blog about it soon, with a link to you of course!!

~TidyMomn

5. Tiffany says

I have never made freezer jam. I may have to try it this month! It sounds pretty simple. Thanks!

6. Annikke says

I have always wanted to try freezer jam, but was a little intimidated. The pictures of the beautiful jars of jam makes me wanna make some. I am bookmarking this recipe and maybe next week I can try this out…hopefully it comes out as pretty as yours!

7. smks says

Love the idea & picture!! Does this work for frozen strawberry? I have tons of it in freezer.

8. Keriann says

Ok when I opened the post and saw what exactly she be "jammin" meant I couldn't help but laugh hysterically….I'm pretty sure my dog now thinks I'm crazy!!

I'm so loving the idea of blackberry peach jam!! Yum

9. Kate @ The Gaines Gang says

You are so right! This looks easy and yummy. Would make a great gift to take to a new mom in the hospital along with some fresh bread!

Thnaks for sharing!

10. Mom's Place says

I absolutely LOVE to make jam! I never buy it, and haven't for some time now! I just did a batch of Blackberry Strawberry last week! However, I have never tried to do freezer jam. Might just have to order me some Tupperware and give it a try!

11. Emily says

I second the request for your sister's jar source! :)

Love the post & also love freezer jam; I have lots of strawberry I made a few months ago & made raspberry peach last week.

12. Laurie Jones says

I am the sister. The jars from the first picture are old store bought chili sauce jars my mother-in-law was throwing out. I couldn't pass them up they were so cute. They do say 'chili sauce' on them, so they aren't that fancy. It is my new quest to find cute, cute glass jars for next year!

The jars in the second picture are the smaller Kerr brand jars.

13. Tauni says

Thank you for this post! I have been dreaming about "preserving" some jam for sometime and haven't gotten the guts up to look into it…I am going to try your sister's recipe this weekend with my peaches.

14. Anonymous says

I have never made this before, but after seeing your post I made it last night! It was delicious!! I made raspberry-peach! Thank You!

15. randee says

i love your blog & all of your great ideas (except maybe the witch fingers, yuck!, hah!).

i am especially lovin' my very sweet pendant that i received last week. my daughters said they'd take it off my hands. maybe. but not until i've worn it at least a hundred times.

thanks so much!

16. Tauni says

Thanks for the great idea! I made both peach and peach/blackberry jam Saturday. They turned out great.

I'm adding a link to your blog on my post today!

17. Cuddle with Aloha says

I have always wanted to make my own jam, but always thought it was too time consuming. WHAT A SURPRISE! this is totally do-able. thanks so much…

18. Lisa B says

Silly question, do I need to get 4 lbs total of fruit or 4lbs of each of those fruits. 4 lbs total just doesn't seem like enough…

19. **Amy** says

Lisa–Not silly…4 lbs total of fruit will make one batch of jam which will be about 6 8 ounce jars or 12-4 ounce jars. You can double the batch, but you will have to double the ingredients and add TWO packages of your pectin. You will want to check the directions for the pectin brand that you end up using since they might be slightly different.

20. Nevaeh says

I cant wait to try the bread recipe. I to am not a great bread maker but would love to make my own. I have everything I need so I think I will give it another try, maybe even the jam.

21. NVmom says

I am so excited!! I have wanted to try canning for a while and a bonus those freezer jars are BEAUTIFUL. And everyone needs a little beauty don't they? Moms in particular! Thanks for a great site. :)

This was fabulous. My kids asked me to try the Blackberry-Raspberry combination. I doubled it and it really was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. Thanks for sharing!

23. christina says

I love freezer jam, but I have never tried making it before. I would really like to try since I have a lot of strawberries on hand this year. Can I substitute gelatin for pectin in this recipie??

24. Norma says

First time I have been to your site, I found you on Pinterest but, your sister’s jars are beautiful I don’t think I have ever seen any like that. Beautiful!

25. danielle says

omy this lookes to easy I will try this because I like making jam but thought it whould be to much work but this one does not does not look like that

26. Donna says

This is just the recipe I have been searching for!!!…But….would you know how much in weight…grams or ounces …of a “package” of pectin?…What is the actual amount of powder used?…Thanks so much for any advice!

27. Jenny says

Your recipes sound wonderful. I usually do cooked jam as I have limited freezer space. I have water bathed freezer jam before with no problems . Do you know if this is possible with these? I may try it anyway lol

28. Amber says

How do you know if a jar is “freezer safe”?? I like to reuse jars too but how will I know if they are ok??