Magic Reindeer Food

*Update 12.10.13–I have a newer version of the Magic Reindeer Feed with a printable if you are interested in seeing or using it.  To see the newer version click here: Magic Reindeer Feed

A few years ago my daughter came home from her Pre-school class with some magic reindeer food. She was instructed to sprinkle it on the front lawn on Christmas Eve so that Santa and his reindeer could find her home.  She was so excited and my other kids wished they had some reindeer food too.  It worked just like magic. Santa definitely came! We have continued the tradition every year since to ensure that Santa can find his way to our house.

reindeer-food-recipe

The food has special “glow in the dark” crystals that are illuminated by the moon and as my daughter pointed out today, Rudolph’s Red Nose! I wish she would have said that before I got them all printed out :). That is so much more fun than being illuminated by the moon. (I will have to change it for next year as I have already made ours up).

This would be so fun to make for your kids friends as a small, inexpensive gift, an elementary school party, your neighbor’s kids or your grandkids!  Be sure to make it edible so that the birds don’t eat something that is not good for them…like glitter.

Here is our simple recipe.

Reindeer Food

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup red or green sugar crystals (for cake decorating)

**I have seen some recipes that call for glitter, but I have heard that it can be dangerous for any birds who might eat it, so we just use colored sugar. Colored sugar can be made so easily. Just take some sugar and drop a few drops of food coloring in the sugar. Then take a fork and stir it until the sugar is colored evenly and there are no lumps.

Here is a fun poem that you can give along with the reindeer food to let people know what it is and how to use it.

Sprinkle on the lawn at night
The moon (Rudolph’s Nose) will make it sparkle bright
As Santa’s reindeer fly and roam
This will guide them to your home.

I filled a cellophane treat bag (6 in. x 3.75 in.) with the reindeer food and attached a label by stapling it to the top. The writing on the label is upside down so when you fold it,the writing will be right side up.

christmas-kids-activities

There are two different downloads if you are interested.  I would love to know if you end up making some!  I love to see the projects my readers are enjoying and making for themselves.

Reindeer Food 2

Reindeer_Food

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Thank you for sharing! I love this idea and SO many of your other ones. I am going to borrow this for my daughter's preschool class.

2. La Dolce Vita says

My little girl is just old enough to do these! I have made these with groups of kids before. Thanks for the labels!

3. Jennifer says

I love this idea…they usually make it at school for the kids to put out with milk and cookies!

4. Jackie S. says

Super cute idea!!! I wasn't sure what to make for my 4 year old's preschool class gift but this will be PERFECT!!! Thankyou Thankyou!!!

5. Mom's Place says

We do this too!!! We add cheerios to it though along with all the oats, colored sugar!

6. kerianne. says

I work at a preschool and my kids would love that! I can't wait to make it for them…and it's much better than giving them a treat bag filled with candy! Thank you for the great idea!

7. Erica says

This is wonderful! Instead of flipping the text box in word, does it work to flip the clipart/picture upside down? I think I'm going to try that!

8. Katie says

Hi Amy,
    I have had difficulty flipping text before in Word myself. After spending hours on the web looking for a solution, I have found that the easiest way to print text in two different directions is to use PowerPoint. You can rotate the text box and the text will turn with it. I hope this helps!
    I brought home Reindeer Food when I was in first grade using broken Shredded Wheat and we continued this tradition as a family for many years and I will certainly continue the tradition with my own family!

9. { erin } says

If you want an easy microsoft program that lets you flip text and do tons more with your pictures (I use it to make the newsletters for PTA, create invites for my kids bday parties, etc) you need Microsoft Publisher. I use it almost EVERY day!!

10. Yarni Gras! says

we've been doing the same thing for 7 years! My daughter turns 12 next week…..I wonder if she will still want to do it….I hope so!

11. Victoria Hassink says

We do this every year and give to to friends and neighbors. I think we first did it in preschool. Our poem is slightly different and it makes for some fun photos.

On Christmas Eve when the moon is out,
    Clap 3 times and stomp about.
    Sprinkle this reindeer food on the ground
    Shout Santa 2 times and turn around.
    The sparkle of the glitter and smell of the oats
    will guide Santa's slay straight to your house.

12. Katie says

I just flipped the clip art, much easier! I love your site. So many great ideas. I am going to give this away with the personalized hand sanitizers.

13. Adriana says

I made this with my daughter's pre-K class and they loved it. Thanks so much for the idea and labels!

14. SAVANNAH says

THANKS FOR THIS AWESOME IDEA! I AM MAKING SOME FOR MY GIRLS TO GIVE TO ALL THEIR CLASS MATES!

15. **Amy** says

Thanks for all the fun links and the helps for the text flipping and programs. I love all the feedback! Keep it coming!

16. The Manlupig Mob says

sending it in to be approved today. I put a disclaimer on mine* (Ingredients:Sugar,Oatmeal.
    Please do not eat, it is reindeer food and what ever they do not eat the birds will appreciate.)
    hopefully it will be approved! haha… if not I guess we could use prepackaged oatmeal and sugar packets! haha…

17. Brittany says

Super cute!
    I love this idea!
    Thank you for sharing this adorable craft.

I just posted my version on my blog. :)

18. Us Simple Girls says

Totally posted this on our blog too. I had forgotten all about it until you reminded me.

Thank you!

These are going on the top of the annual Christmas Eve gift… new jammies… we're sure to have fun in those footed pjs covering the lawn!

Katrina

19. Anonymous says

Thank you so very much! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I just discovered your site…and I am in love….it makes me happy to just look at all your wonderful ideas.

20. **Amy** says

Thanks guys and for the links!! Just so you know, I did try initially to flip the picture but could not, that is why I ended up flipping the text.

You guys are the best!

21. Laura says

Love this idea, but why put sugar in it?? Just do the oatmeal. Won’t hurt a child to eat it but they won’t be tempted to eat more by sugar. And the birds who do clean up will not appreciate the sugar.

22. anne says

hi its a lovely idea but i would recommend bird seed instead of oatmeal.the oatmeal if eaten by the birds is bad for them it swells up in their stomach…we have made some for xmas school fete with bird seed and glitter….great site by the way

Thanks Selina! My kids insist on doing it year on Christmas Eve as part of our tradition. Even as they get older and wiser in the ways of “santa”!

Thank you for including the adorable pdf’s …. I am taking these in for my daughter’s kindergarten class tomorrow. I am going to read Reindeer Christmas by Mark Kimball Moulton, make handprint reindeer paintings with them and give them each a bag of magical reindeer food to take home! Thanks again for sharing!! Merry Christmas!

24. Nadine says

I would like to prepare the Magic Reindeer Food before I go on holiday for 2 weeks and be ready for the Christmas Fair 7th December. Will the Oats and sugar last if I have rapped it up in Voile?

Absolutely! I make it well in advance in preparation for Pre-School gifts and for the kids on Christmas Eve!

25. Marsha Morrison says

I love the reindeer food project from your site. By chance do you mind updating the wording in the PDF attachment that would make reference to “Rudolph’s nose will make it sparkle bright” I like the PDF art work of just Rudolph in the three circles.

THANKS SO MUCH !

26. Monica Delaney says

We made this in our creche and all the children loved making it A really simple activity that all the children can take part in thanks

Thank you Monica! I am so glad you were able to make it with the children and that they enjoyed it! Thank you for taking the time to come back and share that with me. I love hearing from people who end up making something I have shared! xo

Thank you so much for not using glitter in your reindeer food. The glitter sticks in the windpipe of the bird slowly chocking it to death. If the glitter does indeed manage to make it to their stomached, it can not be digested, so will slowly poison the bird – a very painful and horrid death.

It makes. E so mad when I see people telling the children,their food has ‘extra magic glitter’ cos that means hey, you might kill 2 birds!

Edible sparkles are fine.- it keeps the birds and the magic of Christmas alive!

Many thanks,
    Tamara Hodgson-May

28. JoAnn says

Hi! I just printed out Reindeer Food #2. They were an exact fit for the bags I bought. Thank you so much!!! Merry Christmas!