Bean Bag Numbers Tutorial

Still at Summer Camp…but I have an Idea Room Readers Tutorial for you today from Sarah at Create Studio. Sorry it is so late, but things at camp have been super busy, I just barely got some down time before I am off again.

___________________________________________

I’ve never been too keen on math. Words I love, but numbers I loathe. (Although for some strange reason I’m drawn to Sudoku puzzles… try to figure that one out!) Anyway, I’m hoping my little Owen will have more of a love of numbers and math than his mommy, so we’re starting early by making numbers into toys!
You can see by the impatient little hands in this picture that these have already been a big hit. He didn’t want to wait for me to photograph his new toys!
I made these numbers using the technique I used to make my tummy time mat.

After washing them they get these really great frayed edges, then I stuffed them with rice. (So I guess technically these are more like ricebags than beanbags… ricebags sounds a little weird though!) Do you want a tutorial? Well alright!

Here’s what you’ll need:
  • 10 different scrap pieces of fabric
  • Rice
  • Funnel
  • Plastic Straw
  • Graph Paper
  • Sharp Scissors
First you’ll want to draw some numbers on your graph paper. I made sure that the width was at least 2 1/4 inches at all points of the number, the graph paper helped with that a bunch. Below are my numbers “4″ and “5″. If you would like to print this picture out on a full 8 1/2 by 11 piece of paper you’ll see the scale I used. If you would like the other numbers, check out this post.
Next, cut out your numbers from the graph paper and pin them to your fabric. Be sure you have the wrong sides of the fabric together when you cut the numbers out. You won’t be flipping these inside out, so you’ll want the pretty side of the fabric to face out.
Stitch around the outside edges of each number, be sure to leave a 1/4 inch seam allowance and at least a 1 inch opening to put the rice in later.

Using some sharp scissors, cut the edges of the number. Be super careful not to cut your sewed edge or you’ll be going back to your sewing machine to fix it. Be patient with this step, it takes some time, but it’s worth it in the end!

When all of the edges have been clipped you’re ready for the fun part! Throw the numbers into your washer and dryer and the edges will fray beautifully! Your final step is to fill each number with rice using the funnel. I’ve found that a plastic straw works well to jam the rice down into the bottom of the numbers. Stitch the opening closed and you’re all done!

Sarah

Thanks Sarah at Create Studio for sharing your great tutorial with us today! Go ahead and show her some comment love!

Amy Huntley is the owner/author of The Idea Room. A mother of five, who enjoys sharing her love of all things creative in hopes of inspiring other women and families. Connect with her on Google+, or read more of her posts.

Comments

1. 1

What a fun idea to fray the edges!!!

2. 2
    Bethany says:

These are so cute! I love the rough edges.

3. 3
    Katy at Minnesota Attorney says:

You are so talented! I love the fringe around the edge! What a great hands-on way to learn numbers!

4. 4
    The Activity Mom says:

oooooh I can't wait to make these! Thanks! =)

5. 5
    Addison Kay says:

Love it! Looks like a good Christmas present to start working on for all the nieces and nephews! :) Thanks!

6. 6
    Kristen Duke Photography says:

I LOVE the look of the frayed edges! The numbers are also fun:)

7. 7
    naomemandeflores says:

Super lovely idea!!!

8. 8
    All In The Family says:

Hi! I just purchased the finger puppet pattern two days ago and purchased the travel games (5) today. I can no longer access my primary email that was used for my paypal account. I just added my current email and was wondering if you could send my purchases to my new primary email account. My old email was hacked into so I changed the password and can't for the life of me remember it:( my email is [email protected]

Thanks!

Amy West

9. 9

LOVE the tutorials! your pics are so easy to understand and you make it seem simple and we love that!
    ~selina
    sisters4saymoreismore.blogspot.com

10. 10
    Melissa says:

I don't really do numbers either! These are so cute though and the frayed edges are adorable! Thanks for sharing!

11. 11

Amy, Thanks so much for linking up to my Bean Bag Numbers Tutorial! I hope your readers enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them! Happy sewing!
    -Sarah from Create Studio

12. 12

You mentioned washing them, and for teethers I will want to. How does the rice wash? Is there any risk of spoilage?

13. 13

Another note is always that ports won’t admit non-operable vehicle for
    roll-on roll-off transport service. When you are going to
    generate decision to ship your car or truck in California you then must please take a idea about the
    routes of California. It’s critical that when somebody realized the
    requirement to transmit his car, he or she must start gaining car shipping quotes as soon as
    he is able to.