JOY Trees

Christmas-Trees

Guess who has been browsing the thrift store…

I had been wanting to put some little potted trees on my front porch and was searching for 3 pots that would fit with what I had in mind! I was so excited when I came across these beauties!! I got the matching pair for $1.50 and the popcorn jar was $1.00! Wahoo! I had wanted to get all three matching, but I feel pretty happy with what I was able to find.

Photobucket

So how to cover up the prints? I simply primed them with primer using a regular brush but was very careful to paint them smoothly without any drips, etc. After they had dried, I spray painted them with some white Krylon outdoor spray paint. By the way…Krylon is my favorite brand of spray paint!

Photobucket

Then I glued a ribbon around the middle of the pot, threw in some small evergreen trees. I found mine at Hobby Lobby. They were orginally $7.99 but were 50% off! Gotta Love That!!

What do you think? I am really happy with these JOY trees. I might add a few little red or silver berries to them to spice them up a bit more! Have you been decorating your house for the Holidays? I just barely got all the bins and boxes put away…they have been out since the day after Thanksgiving :)! Feels good to have it done!

And thank you for all of you who have linked up your Christmas Projects and ideas…I am trying to get through all of them. You guys are doing some fun things!

Easy-DIY-Christmas-Project

★Amy

Comments

1. Michelle says

At first glance, I couldn't tell that the pots were different. Now that I see it, I still love them!

2. Veronica says

I actually really like that the pots are slightly different! Okay, I think I am hitting the local DI tomorrow :) Such a cute idea!!

3. Steph says

I love this! I agree with Michelle at first glance I would have never guessed they were "mismatched"!

I too am so very thankful that my Christmas decorating is DONE…finished up on Saturday and now have just been enjoying our work!!

Have a happy holiday!

4. Steph says

Have a happy holiday!

5. Heidi Ferguson says

Wow, this is one of those ideas where you're like 'how did I not think of this EONS ago?!' I love potting plants but I never thought to thrift/paint (that should be a word on its own…thriftpaint) some. Amy strikes again!

6. The Reluctant Blogger says

OH I love those! I have a front porch for the first time ever and maybe can put something together like that!

7. Holly @ Roller Coaster Life says

these are soo cute!!! I want to do it now too!

um… is that snow?!?!

8. Kerryanne English says

Love this project Amy and the fact that it is handmade makes it even more special.
    Your Christmas decor looks so lovely with snow. Here in Australia today it is officially the first day of summer, so the artificial trees would be perfect – no chance of wilting then – LOL
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

9. Veronica says

Oh, and I think I may duplicate this in the spring as well. Make pots that say something like "BLOOM" in big wooden letters :)

10. Tracey says

What a cute idea! It is so neat to be able to walk into a thrift store, look at something, and see it's potential for something completely different!! Very festive, great idea!

11. Carrie @ Dittle Dattle says

Love this idea! You're the best, Amy! The snow in the background just makes it feel like the holidays are here!!!

12. Lyndee: A Recovering Craft Hoarder says

They look awesome! And I like having the square one in there so they aren't all exactly the same…but enought the same.

13. Amy says

Why is it that I *never* think about painting something like that to fit my decor??? Those look great!

14. Haley K says

As aways, great idea Amy!! :) The pattern of round-square-round pots gives it character :) And funny story, i swear I saw that popcorn dish at the Centerville DI a few weeks ago! haha On good days, that DI is a gold mine!!

15. Deb says

What a great way to reuse some old containers. I love the way they look with the letter added. Thanks so much for sharing.

16. Alicia Cortes says

They look gorgeous Amy, you are my fairy tale ;-) I would have never dreamt of an idea like that and I'll share it with my sister in law. I'll decorate my house next week-end and I'm already so excited about it!

17. Samantha says

Really, really, really, really cute!! Something like that would look perfect on my front steps. I will be copying you soon :-)

18. Kristi says

So cute! I love it. It makes me wish I had held out and done this instead of purchasing the the two I bought last year in pots.

19. Andrea Hall says

these are really awesome! What a great find. I never find great deals like that at my thrift store. The letters really pop

20. Lorri says

I LOVE that one of them is different! It gives it the perfect look! This is a fantastic idea that I would love to try. I might even try them in smaller containers to use on the kid's table for a fun Christmas table setting. thank you for sharing!!!

21. J Family says

I love that there is a different one in the middle. Oh how I wish I had stairs. This is great!!! I am looking for a project to do with my kids with the traditional ball ornaments and came to your site. Hope I can find something- you share great ideas.

22. Denise & Jillian says

I Love this. I went right to the Thrift store and found 4 cookie jars (alot smaller than your's…bummer) for $3 that would work great. I can't wait to get it finished and post your link on our blog! Thanks

23. Kristie VanWagoner says

You are so creative! Love this idea and wow look how many followers you have now! Go you!

24. Inspire Me Heather says

Gorgeous! I liked your idea and I linked them up to my "Christmas trees" post too!

25. Centsational Girl says

Oh I love love love the bright red letters up against the crisp white!!! So lovely!

Question: Why brush on v. spray primer first? Inquiring minds want to know!

xo
    Kate

26. Margo says

I love this Christmas craft and will be searching for pots to make my own.
    How did you attach the letters to the pots?