Lump Of Coal | Christmas Gift

I have been wanting to make these simple Christmas Gifts for a couple of years now and finally got around to it.  I have always LOVED See’s Licorice Medallions and thought they would make the perfect lump-of-coal or “Christmas Coal”.

Santas-coal

And how perfect is it that they each have a letter “S” on them?!  We are going to pretend that the “S” stands for Santa Claus!  Because surely Santa’s Coal would magically have a letter S on them!

candy-coal

To make the Santa’s Coal bags, I simply took some small linen bags that I picked up at Michael’s and stenciled “Santa’s Coal: North Pole” on them.  Could. NOT. be. any. easier!!

Christmas-coal

And…you can make some too.  Want to get a copy of the stencil?  Click here to download:

*If you are not a fan of The Idea Room on Facebook, you will need to click like first and become a fan. After you become a fan you will need to click on “Get your free gift” in the upper right hand corner of the Idea Room FB page and then click on “Previous Downloads”.

{Santa’s Coal Stencil}

lump-of-coal

These are so simple to make and would make a fun gift for kids classmates, friends, the kids at your church or even as a fun little stocking stuffer!

If you can’t find the See’s Licorice Medallions (or you don’t like the flavor of Black Licorice…seriously…who wouldn’t like that flavor?) you can replace it with some black gumballs or jelly beans.

christmas-gift

And…last but not least, I made a little printable tag to go with it if you want.  You can use the tag with the stenciled Santa’s Coal bags or use the tag and attach it to a different bag altogether.

Candy-Coal

{Santa’s Coal Gift Tag}

Have you been naughty or nice this year?

Comments

1. Lucy says

This is so cute…I always get a few of my nephews coal as a gag gift before they get their “real” present!!!!
    Thanks, love your blog!

Hi Amy,

I am just one of your many fans and am amazed with your creative talent. I think my age is getting the best of me because I have followed all your directions for the downloads for the Santa’s Coal stencil and tag and can’t find it in the download section. Please help if you have time.

Thanks
    Kathy

Well…that would be because I actually FORGOT to put up the download! LOL! So Sorry! My girls are in a production of The Nutcracker every night this week and it is killing me! :) I will go an upload it as soon as I get the kids off to school! Oopsie!

I am also looking for the Santa’s Coal stencil and tag and can’t find it. Sorry to bother you but what am I doing wrong. Love your idea…

Thanks
        Debbie

Thanks Crystal! Glad you love it. Thanks for always being such a great commenter! I do notice and appreciate it! xo

Hee hee, so cute! My sister actually did get a lump of coal in her stocking once, and well-deserved! I think this would go over a little better ;)

Oh I just love this! This is really fun gift idea!Your post freshen up the old memories …My mother told me story about this tradition..

5. Denise McCrary says

Hi Amy! These are super cute and perfect for my teacher friend who is challenged this year with some less than “nice” kids she is tutoring. However, she is a black licorice lover so…I am making these for her and suggesting maybe she can make them for her “kiddos” too. Do you have tags that have “Nice” checked somewhere? I only see the naughty ones. I am actually doing several of your projects this year. The crate, the vintage crate for year round as I am going to change a couple of things, and a couple of other home decor. I think your ideas are fabulous!

Shoot. I should have made some nice ones! I do not have any for you to print out. I will have to think about adding another one. Unfortunately I don’t think I will be able to this year. If I get a chance, I will leave another comment here for you. Thanks for the sweet comments!