Frog Eye Salad is the perfect addition to any summer gathering! Acini de Pepe pasta, sweet pineapple sauce, mandarin oranges, and marshmallows all combined into one sweet, yummy salad.
Hello Idea Room friends!! I’m Ashton, and I’m so excited to be here as part of the Idea Room Summer Series.
My brother and I blog over at Keat’s Eats where we are sharing our family’s favorite recipes. We both post a variety of recipes, but Keaton tends to be our meat expert while I like to focus on the sweets.
FROG EYE SALAD
Today I’m bringing you a summer staple: Frog Eye Salad!
Have you heard of it?? I never once tried Frog Eye Salad until I was in college. And now that I’m 30, I can still say I’ve only eaten it a handful of times. But it’s a side dish that my husband grew up loving, and he decided that we needed it at our Memorial Day BBQ.
I’m so glad he did! Because up until now, it has TOTALLY been off my radar. But not anymore!
HOW TO MAKE FRUIT SALAD
- Acini de Pepe, which is just itty bitty balls of pasta. You cook it, just like normal pasta, and then let it chill.
- A sweet pineapple syrup that you make over the stovetop. It adds really great flavor and sweetness to the whole dish.
- Marshmallows, mandarin oranges, more pineapple, and coconut. This salad really packs them all in!
- Essentially everything just gets mixed together, chilled, and enjoyed.
Frog Eye Salad
This salad is the perfect addition to any summer gathering! Acini de Pepe pasta, sweet pineapple sauce, mandarin oranges, and marshmallows all combined into one sweet, yummy salad.
- 8 ounces Acini De Pepe pasta
- 1 cup pineapple juice reserved from pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 22 ounces mandarin oranges drained
- 20 ounces pineapple tidbits drained and reserve juice
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple drained
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3/4 cup coconut shredded
- 8 ounces cool whip
Cook the Acini De Pepe pasta according to package directions. When done, rinse under cold water in strainer. Let cool.
In a saucepan over medium high heat stir together pineapple juice, sugar, flour, salt and egg. Cook and stir constantly until mixture thickens and is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Let cool.
In a large mixing bowl combine the pasta and thickened mixture. Then gently fold in the mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple, pineapple tidbits, marshmallows and coconut. Fold in cool whip. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.