Bath Tub Paints

Photobucket

Make some Bath Tub Paints for some good, clean fun. They can be made with four simple ingredients found right in your kitchen.

Take a muffin tin (or containers of your choice) and add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch to each cup of the tin.

Photobucket

Then to each cup add about 1/4 cup of baby shampoo.

Photobucket

Add 4-5 drops of food coloring to each mixture to make your favorite paint colors.

Photobucket

Stir and mix together the paint until the color is fully incorporated and it has a smooth consistency. Add a small amount of water to each tin (about 2-3 Tablespoons) and stir.

Photobucket

Give each child a paint brush, put them into a shower or bathtub and let them go to town expressing their creative artistic abilities.

Photobucket

I did not let them paint on the wall tiles because I was afraid that the color might stain the grout! But every surface of the tub (and eventually their bodies) was fair game.

Photobucket

They were in the tub for over an hour having a blast.

Photobucket

When it was time to clean up, I gave them each a sponge and let them clean up their artwork. The best part was a clean and sparkling tub that I didn’t have to scrub myself!

Photobucket

Comments

1. Razzle Dazzle Mom says

I loved bath paint as a kid, and well, my kids love to paint, and love to bathe, so can’t wait to try this one!!

2. April says

That is an awesome idea! I just recently found your blog and well…I am going to be very busy trying everything out!

Thanks for sharing!

3. Shelley says

I just tried this with my 2 1/2 year old son tonight and he loves it! Thanks for the great idea and recipe.

4. Anonymous says

Why not use something like Johnson's baby shampoo … then even if it gets into the toddler's eyes by mistake it won't burn.

I found a picture of this through Pinterest and my 3-year-old and I just tried this over the weekend. It was a HUGE hit! The only problem we had was that we ran out of shampoo to make more! Thanks for the great idea!!

6. brittney says

i did this and i used neon food coloring it was great my son got it every where even on the grout and it did not stain but if you use the neon food coloring use 4 drops not 5 it leaves a very light tint on skin barely noticeable only reason i know because when i washed my hands it was so much fun cant wait to do it again

You can definitely save it for a couple of weeks at the most. If it dries out a little all you need to do is add a bit more water!

7. Jemma-kate says

hi,
    Planning on making some of this for my niece for christmas, just wondering, where did u get your cornstarch from and which brand did u use??

8. Carolyn says

When my children were small, I would mix shaving cream and food coloring to make bath paint. They loved the 3-D effect of the shaving cream. It smelled good and never stained. Also, I would put it in an aluminum muffin tin so it would float in the water.

9. beth says

This was great for my almost 3 year old to stay in a tepid bath with when we were bringing down a fever. Thank you!

Hi,
    I’d love to make some of these for my friends’ children for Christmas, but not being a mom myself I’m not 100% up on what ages it would be a good gift for. What do you think? The kids I have in mind are 1, 3, & 5. Thanks for the inspiration!

Perfect! Be sure to use baby shampoo so that it doesn’t hurt if they get in their eyes. Those ages will love it. Even my older kids still love to use this!

This was a huge hit! Every bath now involves this paint (which is sometimes twice a day!) I don’t even bother measuring the ingredients, it seems to work every time I make it. So far our grout has been safe; I try not to add too much food colouring. Thanks!

So happy to hear that! We still use this quite often as well…and I too get lazy measuring! haha! Thank you for coming and sharing this with me!

I do not comment, however after browsing a bunch of remarks on Bath Tub Paints – The Idea Room.
    I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you don’t mind.
    Is it only me or does it look like a few of the remarks appear like they are left by brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are writing at other places, I’d like to keep up with you.
    Could you make a list of the complete urls of all your
    social sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

1. […] Thanks to Pinterest, I found this great idea for making bath time more fun. Make your own “paint” from cornstarch, water, baby shampoo and food coloring and let your child create an artistic masterpiece. While your kids enjoy making a colorful “mess” in the tub, you’ll enjoy the easy clean-up. Simply wipe away with a sponge! Learn more about this fun bath time craft at The Idea Room. […]