Make Glow-in-the-Dark Slime

Learn how to Make Glow-in-the-Dark Slime like we made the other day. My kids ranked this as one of their favorite of our summer projects so far. Even I was enjoying playing with it. It just feels so cool.

image

Pin It

We added a few drops of glow in the dark craft paint to get the glow-in-the-dark effect. The more borax solution you add, the stiffer your slime will become. If you want runny slime go easy on the borax solution. We wanted our a little stiffer so we added a bit more Borax solution. Ours turned out really nice.

image

You can roll it into a perfectly round sphere, that slowly flattens when left alone. It really does glow. But I was not smart enough to figure out how to take a picture of it. The version I made is “mom-friendly”. It will not stick in carpet because it is fairly solid. I cannot make any guarantees though if you choose to go with the runnier slime version.

image

**Thank you for all of your fun and kind comments as of late. You can just keep those coming :)! And just to set the record straight…I am a normal mom like the rest of you. I just choose to show you the best in our home. My kids would get a kick out of those “cool mom” comments. They would have no clue who you were talking about! Just so you know, I have those “bad mom days” like every one else. Days where I just might make and eat an entire rainbow cake for myself :)!
Pin It

Comments

1. Lynn says

Oh my goodness! All the neat things you have shown us to do with that borax in the laundry room!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

2. Letti says

My kids would love this but is it mommy friendly…lol I love that it is glow in the dark too.

3. Lori says

I don't have kids… Would it be weird if I made this anyway? I could maybe say it's for nephews & nieces…

I love all these cool ideas you post!

4. babyblooze says

Dude. GLOW IN THE DARK Slime??? This is too much! With two boys we are DEF going to do this project!

5. Christa Marie says

I LOL'd at the "make a whole rainbow cake and eat it" comment! Ha ha! This slime – we are SO going to do that! :-) LOVE IT!

6. Martha says

i'm so glad i have your blog bookmarked and you posted all these cool things.
    my girl scout troop will totally love all of this stuff. thanks.

• bella says

OMG you have the best idea,I love to many things I will be a copy cat and make many of what you posted,my grand kids will have so much fun

7. Martha says

ok, dd and i made this today. she was so excited. I just posted pictures on my blog. thanks for the inspiration.

8. [email protected] says

Wow, WAY cool! I've got to try this! I'll be linking.

9. Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom says

You had me at slime – LOL! I think my daughter will just love this!

10. Anonymous says

We are doing this for THREE Halloween parties tomorrow!!! (14yr olds, 9 yr olds, and 7 yr olds) I bought Chemistry flasks and test tubes with caps from Oriental Trading so the kids could take it home easier (we're doing a sort of Mad Scientist theme… Love the Glow in the Dark feature!!! Think this one is going to be a HUGE hit!!! Martha Stewart who???? You're amazing!!!!
    Thanks so much!
    Michele in RI

11. Michele in RI says

Amy,
    Just popping back in to tell you that the Slime was a MAJOR hit!!!!I had 40 some kids begging to 'make it again'!!! Parents were in awe and I was the queen of all Halloween parties! Thanks a bunch!!!!
    Michele

12. Michele says

Whoa. I am in awe. I love the creative substitutions you made. Excellent!

We made an edible slime for Halloween last year…no glowing, but still cool.

You mix sugar, koolaid and water, boil it and add tapioca starch. Then it gets all rubbery and totally transparent. We added two tapioca pearls to each blob and pretended they were gooey pets.

13. **Amy** says

Glad you guys enjoyed this one. Thanks for letting me know how much you enjoyed this at your parties. Love to hear that people are doing this and having good success.

Michele–Thanks for the edible recipe. We will most definetly give it a try this summer! My kids will love it!

14. MCTD Billman says

I just found this post blog-hopping. I wanted to tell you how FUN this will be!!!! At our family reunion we do an auction to earn money for the next year, and I'm sure that when I make a few of these they will go fast!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this talent!!!!! I LOVE it!!!!

Celeste B.
    ccscards.blogspot.com

15. Erin says

This is a GREAT idea! I have made so many different versions of slime, but I have NEVER thought about adding glow in the dark paint :). Thank you!

17. trish says

thanks we just made this! How fun and easy! I have a feeling we will be making this all the time!

Just saw this on pinterest. Can’t wait to make it for my son’s 5th birthday party – we will have some happy party guests! :)

Thank you so much. We just made a test batch with my daughters. My 17 year old and my 7 year old daughters had a blast. We are having mad scientist party and this will be one of the projects we do that day.

Thank you for sharing all your great ideas. Thanks for sharing with us.

Well, I’m late to this party! :) I just saw it on Pinterest and HAD to see what the laughing was all about. So cool. My kids would flip over this. My question is, does it keep? I put homemade stuff in their stockings so if I made this and put it in a small jar would it stay “slimy”? Thanks! Lisa~

21. Janice says

I LOVE your “disclaimer”!! So refreshing – something I have to remember as I see all kinds of cool-mom things on Pinterest and blogs.

We have been studying David and Bathsheba in seminary. We have been talking about the consequences of our choices. What better way to demonstrate the consequences of our choices than to make some slime…glow in the dark even! Thanks for the recipe with the added glow in the dark paint. I made this years ago when my kids were in cub scouts. I think the older kids will have fun with this, too.

23. Barb AKA butterfly says

Love it! I have done this with my Brownie group ( girl guides ) at Halloween with green food coloring , except we call it “boogers”. I will have to try the glow in the dark paint. Maybe during our science camp.

24. Sk1nnySteph says

It sounds like a ton of fun, but the use of borax seriously concerns me. I use it in my homemade laundry detergent but would never use it near kids. Just inhaling the dust when Im making laundry detergent irritates me and causes breathing problems, so having kids use it to make this slime seems unsafe. Also, it is known to cause a rash with frequent skin contact. I’m curious as to why you didnt use corn starch. A much safer product used in many different homemade slime recipes I’ve seen.

i learned this in a class devoted to science projects and whatnot to do with future students–it was to teach about polymers–even at 22 and 23 and older, we all had fun as well! never thought of using glow in the dark paint but that’s a great idea.

26. Carole says

I have “the cool mom syndrom” even with my 4 children – 17, 19, 21 & 23….. The tome passes very very quickly – but i listen to the dinner conversation & they dont ever mention he bad mommy moments – they remember blowing a colcano up in out kitchen, bldg life size animals out of chicken wire….so keep these amazing creations coming..

You are cool even in your bad days! A rainbow cake? I love your site, and the next time I’m having a bad day, I’ll make myself a rainbow cake. :)

28. darlene sanchez says

this is way too cool! thanks for all the fun ideas…i and sure all my biker freinds will love to have glow in the dark stuff at the NM balloon festival party we are haveing….grown ups are the fun kids..lol can u please email me the the amount i need to mix together

29. kellyvawn says

I totally just made that SLIME with my 3yr old Grandson… we had a blast, that stuff is amazing!! Made according to the video!

30. Christina says

In laboratory tests, borax has been considered to be a cause of reproductive issues in animals. It is believed that borax may cause complications with pregnancy and reproductive organs, so if you are pregnant, you should avoid contact with borax.

31. Marissa says

OMG this sounds like SO much fun!! I am definitely making this with my 5 year old brother and his friend tomorrow!! I might even bring some to school to impress my friends! I’m curious as to how much it makes. Will I be able to put it into 2 or 3 baggies or is this just one ‘serving’? please email the exact amounts and directions you did. If possible. Thanks SO much for all the awesome posts you do! I continuously follow your ideas so I won’t become a ‘boring babysitter’ with my brother and his friends! :)

32. Sydni says

Ok, So i tried this with my baby cousin, and when i started mixing it, it just got all clumped up when i started stirring it. What did i do wrong.??

33. Shirley says

This may be a dumb question but what do you do with this once you make it? Want to make some with my great-grandd. I’m 80 yrs on this planet so please be kind with your answers.

Not a dumb question. What a fun grandma! You can play with it and it is a bit runny and glows in the dark. My kids love to just roll it around like play dough.

34. Rachel says

can you break glow sticks and put them or possibly use puffy paint i want to make some for party favors but i am trying to avoid running to the store

35. Cecilia says

What a great idea! My kindergartener came home with a batch of it from school and would love to make it again, but hers was very slimy and it stained everything, adding more Borax would def. be the way to go for me. Quick question: will the food coloring end up all over the kid’s hands? (and table, clothing, carpet, walls, etc…?) Exactly how mom-friendly is this? ;)

If you are OCD this might not be the thing for you. But adding more Borax definitely makes it easier to handle. I am pretty OCD and am okay with this if I use just one or two drops of food coloring and make it less runny!

36. Emanuel says

If you add clear glue instead of the regular white glue the slime is transparent and it looks much cooler :)

I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your blog.
    Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems?
    A number of my blog visitors have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome.
    Do you have any recommendations to help fix this problem?

38. Zee G-G says

Hi Amy,

I love this recipe and would love to try it with my kindergarteners this summer. Could you email me the amounts please? I would love to do this as an activity.

39. Kristyn says

We make gak all the time but haven’t made it with the GLO-IT…. totally trying that this week! Thanks!

1. […] never made slime (it just sounds too messy), but I might give this glow-in-the-dark version a try… it’s just too […]

2. […] Would you like to do a fun project with your kids this weekend?  I found this Glow in The Dark Slime Recipe on Pinterist!  I am definitely making this with my boys this weekend!  Check out how it is done on here. […]

3. […] that right now, need some quiet ideas that are fun enough to keep the attention of my rowdy duo. Make Glow-in-the-Dark Slime – The Idea Room Somebody posted this on here this morning and I think it's great, will be doing this one as soon as […]

4. […] Next we set up two stations – one was pumpkin carving to prepare for the erupting pumpkin and the other was making glow in the dark slime. […]

5. […] Initial Stamped Necklaces Make a Swim Bag with a coordinating towel Make some Frozen Lemonade Make some Glow-In-The-Dark Slime Marshmallow Gun Bath-Tub Paints Make your own fabric pumpkins Decorate for Halloween by […]