Jell-O "Blood" Worms

Jell-O Blood Worms

Halloween Food

Pin It

These edible Halloween Jell0 Worms are a BIG hit for our Halloween Dinner. The first time I served these up the kids really freaked out. My daughter couldn’t even look at them at first, but after some coaxing and a little good natured teasing, she ate one. Then much too her surprise, she liked them.

They take a little effort to make, but I think they are worth it. Plan to make these at least a day ahead of time.

Jell-O Blood Worms

Ingredients:

100 flexible plastic straws

(The straws with a bendable neck make the most realistic worms by adding ridges to the worm. Place bendable necks of straws at the bottom of the container).

an empty, cleaned 1-quart milk or orange juice carton to hold straws.

(The straws will fill up to the height of the container, the taller the better.)

1 package (6 ounces) raspberry or grape flavor gelatin
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin or 3 Tbsp
3 cups boiling water
3/4 cup whipping cream
12 to 15 drops green food coloring

waxed paper

Instructions:

1.  Combine gelatins in a bowl and add boiling water; stir until gelatins completely dissolve. Chill until lukewarm, about 20 min.

2.  Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length; place in tall container. Wrap together with a loose rubber band to hold straws together.

3.  Blend cream and food coloring with the lukewarm gelatin mixture. Carefully pour into container, filling straws.

4.  Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days.

5.  Pull straws from container or, if you’re using a carton, simply tear the carton away from the filled straws. Pull straws apart. Run hot tap water for about 2 seconds over 3 to 4 straws at a time. Starting at the empty ends, push worms from straws with rolling pin, or use your fingers.
Pin It

6.  Lay worms on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover and chill until ready to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Worms will hold at room temperature for about 2 hours.

Comments

1. Lynette says

Okay, those worms are one of the coolest halloween foods I've seen in a long time…i love 'em!!! I will definitely be trying them this year…and doing a little teasing as well :)

2. The Fiskeaux Family says

Thank you, Amy!!! I never thought I'd be so excited to see blood worms in my Google Reader! LOL (And you can bet I'll be making these for the boys someday…)

3. Adriana says

Wow those look so real I might have a hard time convincing myself to eat them :) I will definately be making them for our Halloween party this year!

4. krmccord says

Those worms look real. I don't know if I would be too excited to try them myself:) I think I will have to try them this year!

5. Beckie says

I have been following your blog for some time now and just had to say…..keep up the GREAT work! You are so creative and honestly, I'm a bit jealous :) I look forward to reading your blog whenever you have a new post! Thank you, thank you.

6. little ms. sassy shelby says

I just found your blog and have to tell you how inspiring you are! I don't have kids yet, and won't for a long time but I am devouring this blog, taking little notes for when I do become a mom. Thank you thank you thank you! Keep up the good work :)

7. Room to Inspire says

Oh, I can't wait!!! My kiddos will think this is the coolest…and we always have friends and family over to Trick or Treat, I can't wait to pull these out :)

Chelsea

8. [email protected] says

Whoa! Those are so gross and awesome at the same time. Thanks so much, I've gotta try this one. I'll be linking as well.

9. oneordinaryday says

Oh my gosh. Martha Stewart has nothing over on you when it comes to Halloween treats. This is so cool.

10. edie3 says

This is so disgusting, I love it! Even though my kids are older, I might try this anyway!!

11. Petit Debutant says

Question: How hard is it to pour the jello mixture into each of the straws? Any hints on that part?

• Joyce says

I made these and put a little of the jello mixture in the container, then added the straws and put in the freezer for about a half hour. Then I used a syringe to put the jello mixture in the straws. It worked really well.

12. **Amy** says

Wendy–glow in the dark paint can be found at most craft stores. I found mine at Roberts.

Petit Debutant–I put my finished Jell-O mixture into a pitcher and poured it into the straws very slowly. I did get some overspill that just ended up surrounding the straws. I just broke it off after it was ready. You should be able to get most of it into the straws! It does get messy!

• Ralph B says

My straws wouldn’t fill with the jello it just kept running out of the straws and filling the carton. After many attempts, i figured to fill as much as possible let it coagulate and then carefully remove straws from carton to retrieve the excess of the overflow and return the straws with coagulated jello into the carton and back in fridge ,simmer the excess in a pot. Let it cool and then fill the straws worked wonders for me. Perhaps next time i’ll just fill the carton with a 1/3 cup of jello liquid put the straws in and then fill, that way theres no liquid running any where.

13. Rook No. 17 says

So gross! So awesome! Thanks for sharing this wonderful project.

Jenn @ rookno17.blogspot.com

14. Megan @ Megity's Handmade says

Those are sooooo gross looking but totally awesome! I'm going to have to try this!

15. Leigh Anne Wilkes says

Amy, SO the jello doesn't run out the bottom of the straw?? We are hosting a Haloweenie Roast for the neighbors and think the kids will love these!!

16. **Amy** says

Leigh Anne–The Jell-O does run out of the bottom of the straws and gets quite messy, but there is still alot in the straws to make your worms.

17. Liz from babyblooze says

what is the trick for getting the worms OUT of the straws. Had a major failure this AM! :) HELP

18. Fudge Jumbles says

OMG OMG OMG…I CAN NOT wait to make these….so gross!

Thanks for sharing the idea!

:-) Jeanette

19. J-bird says

I absolutely LOVE these! We made these for the party we went to last weekend and they were a hit! So gross to make but delicious to eat! Thanks for posting them!

20. Keleigh says

These are so cool….to get around the time consuming task of filling each straw individually I just filled my container with the jello mixture then took my straws that were rubberbanded together and stuck them in there. I ended up using about 140 straws because that is how many I could squeeze into the container I used. I had some tall cylinder vases left over from a wedding…..all the straws were full with about an inch left at the top. There was jello that firmed up around each straw but I just wiped it off before I squeezed my worm out. A little less trouble and wracked nerves; ) thanks for the awesome idea…..my kids and the teachers LOVED it!!

21. Sarahie says

Amy, I loved this idea! I just had to try it and made some for my sister and her family for last Sunday dinner. They didn't look quite as good as yours, but they were still a hit! My 4-year-old nephew refused to eat them even after I told him they were just Jello. He thought I was kidding!

I posted my picture of them on my blog, if you want to see how mine turned out. (http://sarahandmichaelcardell.blogspot.com/2010/10/208-this-mommy-is-proud.html)

Thank you so much for the idea!

22. Mary says

I love it!!!! I just finished pushing the worms out of the straws. They look great. I am using them for the boy scout party tommorrow night!!!! I think I might go to the chinese food take out storeand get some of those clear containers. That is how real worms come if you buy them. I am so excited !!!!

23. Scrappy Do says

This is the most disgusting awesome looking edible things I have ever seen, I can't wait to serve them up. THANKS!

• April says

I would definately NOT consider these edible. I would NEVER pour hot liquid into any kind of plastic to allow it to set and then feed it to anyone. When plastic heats up it leaches chemicals into food. These do look awesome, but as DECORATION ONLY.

• Katheryn says

You are not pouring HOT liquid into plastic. You are suppose to let the mixture cool to luke-warm (room temp) prior to pouring it into the straws.

24. marla {Family Fresh Cooking} says

How creative are you! These Jello worms are awesome & they truly look like the real deal!

25. Yvonne Higgins says

I am going to make a chocolate bundt cake tomorrow for our ward Halloween Party. I will then frost it with a dark chocolate and then dust with ground oreos and graham crackers for dirt. Out of the center ot the cake these great worms will crawl. Should be fun.

Oh, that is so disgusting!! I can’t wait to try it!! We go to a friends for Halloween every year and she’s got three boys. Our families combined equals 7 boys. Don’t you know they will love these!!

27. nik says

Brilliant! Definitely worth the effort! I’d go for bright lime green jell-o worms and lemon yellow jell-o skulls & bones. I might have to spike the red ones for the adults with a little cherry liqueur. ;)
    I found you through TCB. Cheers!

28. Dezi A says

Way fun! I just made them. I must say my coloring was WAY off. You must’ve not added any food coloring to get it so red, right? Next time I’ll definitely not add any extra color. Thanks!

29. Danielle says

So, I used these instead of Jell-o shots at my adult Halloween Party! They were a hit! We made 150+ and they were gone quick! We used Raspberry Jell-o and Black Cherry Vodka and they were delish! (in the recipe just changed it to 1 1/2 cups boiling water, stirred in until gelatin was completely mixed, let chill, then added 1 1/2 cups vodka. Kept everything else the same and it worked perfectly!) Thanks for the idea!!!

30. Tracy says

I made these for my sons birthday party and they turned out fabulous! The taste was amazing and they looked so real. I crushed up some Oreo shells for a look of dirt. Mind didn’t turn out two-tone though. They were all one uniform color that was more of a creamy color. Still very realistic, but I was wondering how you got the two-tone colors. Also, I didn’t try to fill each straw with the jell-o mixture. Instead I filled the container with the mixture and then placed the straws in afterwards. The liquid still rose to fill each straw.

31. TigerJade says

Has anyone found an effective trick for getting the worms out of the straws? Mine are not coming out well and keep breaking!

32. CCGarey says

Okay… I want to make these but thought of an “enhancement” …. oreo cookie crumbs make great dirt to sprinkle on the worms. I am going to the closest bait shop to see if I can get a plastic bait container to serve them in… tee hee can’t wait.

33. Cassie M says

ok so i saw on here that everyone used gelatin BIG EWWWW for me because i am a vegitarian and gelitan is made from Animals and there bones and hoofs not kidding that is what it is made from so i was wondering if this would work with vegitarian “jello” and fruit pectian i know pectain sets up fast after it starts to cool so i went to work to try it and i did this by getting the water boiling but only used a cup and got 2 cups black cherry rum warm to make for an adult halloween party used two 3 oz boxes of vegitarian jello and about a tablespoon and a half of fruit pectan used for making jelly and disovled and added the food color i knew as soon as i added the whipping cream i had little time so i made sure all the straws were ready added the cream stired for 10 seconds and poured, it turned out great so for vegitarians who love a little halloween fun just as much as anyone else this is a great idea and is a blast to take to a party Thank You so much for the idea

34. AliceNTorr says

We made these for my grandson’s Halloween party, and like a lot of comments above, kids (even adults) were afraid to eat them at first. But once they tasted, they loved them. My grandson’s mama found the idea on pinterest and tried a lot of other good things as well. We had fun. We experimented several times finding ways to get the jello inserted. Using a pitcher as tall as the straws finally worked successfully. The worms really look creepy! Perfect for the party. Place ice in a container below the jello worm plate and the jello will keep its shape just fine.

35. ANdy says

Great idea ! I made mine, but the worms seemed to stick together (too warm?) is there a tip on how to keep them from sticking together? Should I lay them out separately on the grease proof paper once out of the straw? Thanks

36. Gayla says

I made them last year and they turned out great, but I had given myself plenty of time to make them so this year I don’t have as much time as I started on them already. So my question is…why do you have to wait 8 hours for them to chill? Do you think they will turn out just as good in 4 hours?

37. Sam says

Just made these and they are look just great. I thought they hadn’t worked at first but when I started squeezing them out I found I was wrong cos they look just like the picture (which never happens when I cook). cant wait for the kids to see. Have a horrible haloween everyone!!

38. amanda says

When using whipping cream, do you poor as a liquid or do you beat first into a cream whip and then mix all together

39. dorleta jjohnson says

We tried these a couple of weeks ago and they are really cute and kids love them. i wanted to add some thing to add a gritty texture to make them seem more like actual worms. any ideas? tried pears pureed in the mix but it turned out mushy and didn’t feel like eating dirt with the worms.

40. Ash says

I’m a little sad I didn’t think of this first. What a brilliant idea! Thank you for your creativity and sharing it with the rest of us! I can’t wait to see my friends’ reaction to these.

41. christal says

um,yeah, these didn’t work out,at all. I did everything you suggested and the jello did NOT want to come out of the straws. I ended up tossing the whole batch.

42. Sarah says

So at what point do you add the jello?
    I think you missed a step. Do you add that to the cream/gelatine mixture?

1. [...] Mart has body part jello molds available, like brains, hearts, hands… yuck!  And click here for a fun recipe for jello worms. (0) Comments #fcp-comments-wrap .fcp-actions [...]

2. [...] building Halloween party we made bloody Jell-o worms, adapting the recipe and instructions found on The Idea Room. We streamlined the recipe, just throwing together two boxes of cherry Jell-o, a couple big dollops [...]

3. [...] Jell-O Worms – These worms are so realistic, children run away screaming from them at first! Perfect for a party, as the shape of the worms will only hold for 2 hours at room temperature. Be sure to get the extendable, bendable straws for this, as they will create the most realistic worms! [...]

4. [...] Dracula's Dentures from The Girl Who Ate Everything Gruesome Halloween Cake from Mind Over Batter Jello "Blood" Worms from The Idea Room Maggot Balls from Flamingo Musings Puff Pastry Intestines from Susi's Cooking [...]

5. Halloween Top 20 (#10): Gruesome eats » The Full Moxie:: Celebrity, Entertainment, DIY, Fashion & Beauty, Fitness & Health, Love & Family,Food, says:

[...] Jello Worms: Photo vis The Idea Room [...]

6. [...] Jello Blood Worms by The Idea Room I made this with a cooking class I taught for kids last year. It went over like gangbusters, people. They actually looked like REAL worms after being tossed with Oreo crumbs. In fact, someone came to me and asked if I was really and truly letting the kids eat worms. You’d like photographic evidence? Absolutely. That’s my boy! [...]

7. [...] Jello Worms. They gross me out, which probably means the kids will LOVE [...]

8. Jello Worms–Halloween Food…

Jello Worms–Halloween FoodHalloween FoodPin ItThese edible Jell0 Worms really are generally a BIG hit for our Halloween Dinner. The Actual first time I served these up the particular kids really freaked out. My daughter couldn”t lettuce soup recipe e…

9. […] Pork dumplings look a lot like brains! Just saying. Recipe here. The Bloody Brain Hemorrhage shooter. Looks cool but doesn’t sound like it would taste great. Seen here. Do it yourself pumpkin keg! Find out how here. Just a simple carved mushroom but great for a Halloween veggie tray. Source. Jello blood worms. Add liquor and slurp up delicious worms till your drunk! Learn how to make them here. […]