Pumpkin Shaped Bread Bowls

One of the reasons Fall is my favorite season is that I love soups. Soups of all kinds. Not only do I love soup, but I love eating soup with a good piece of bread. So what could be better than eating soup out of a bowl of bread?

I saw some pumpkin bread bowls in a store last fall and just attempted making some from scratch recently.

How-to-make-bread-bowls

I used one of my kids favorite recipes for French Bread.

1/4 cup warm water
1 cup tepid water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 package yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
3 1/2 cups unbleached flour

1 beaten egg white

Pour the yeast in the 1/4 cup of warm water. Let it sit for a few minutes to activate the yeast. Once the top is foamy with bubbles, pour the yeast mixture into your mixing bowl. Also add the other cup of water and the salt. Mix this together. Add some drops of food coloring to color the water a nice orange color. I used liquid food coloring and put about 4 drops of red and 6 drops of yellow.

Next, attach the dough hook to the mixer. Add the flour a little bit at a time. Keep kneading the dough for another 2 minutes after all the flour is in. You’ll see a soft, slightly sticky dough.

Spray a large bowl with oil. Place dough into the oiled bowl and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Place in a warm place and let rise for 1 hour. It should double in size.

Flour your surface and rolling pin. Punch down the dough and remove it from the bowl. Remove a small handful of dough and add some green food coloring to it. Knead the dough to mix the color as thoroughly as possible and set aside. Knead the rest of your orange dough. Separate into 5 small round balls (for kid sized bread bowls) or make 4 round balls for a larger bread bowl.

Set your round dough balls on a greased cookie sheet. Take the green dough and make 4 or 5 small stems by making little round balls. Place the stems on the top and middle of your orange dough balls. Cover it again with oiled plastic wrap and let it rise for another 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. When the dough is ready, beat the egg white and brush the top of the dough.

pumpkin-shaped-bread-bowls

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. When you tap it, it should sound hollow. Allow it to cool before slicing. Slice the top of the pumpkin bowl off and hollow out the inside of the pumpkin to make a hole for your soup to sit in. Now, fill with your favorite soup!

**Updated–Click here for the printable version of the recipe and instructions! If you have Word 2007 and older, download the recipe with the (.docx) and anything older than 2007, download the recipe with (.doc).

Comments

1. ~ Michelle says

That is really cool! We love soups too. I'm definitely going to try this. My girls will get such a kick out of eating the soup from pumpkin bread bowls. Thanks for sharing. I love your blog.

2. Miss Mustard Seed says

Very cool! I love bread bowls and making them pupmkin shaped for fall is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

3. Anonymous says

I love your blog so much, thank you for all the time and effort you put into putting creative ideas out there !!! :) This bread bowl is adorable!

4. Rebecca D. says

This is my favorite time of year and you've discovered why!!! Yummy food and fun creative ways to enjoy it! Those are making me soooo hungry!

5. Tater Tot Mom says

This is a great idea! I have not always been the biggest soup fan but have vowed to eat more soup because hubby will be starting a longer commute and won't be home until later. Soup will be perfect for heating up for him. It'll taste even better in a bread bowl!

6. Jen V - Flawed and Fabulous Crafts says

So awesome! I am making those for sure! What a fun little 'treat' for the kiddos – THANKS!

7. Room to Inspire says

Lovin' this idea. My kiddos would love this! I was just presented with the Honest Scrap award and wanted to pass it along to you. Your blog is always filled with some many great ideas. I have linked your blog to my post today! Thanks for all of the great ideas.

Chelsea

8. Grace @ One Craft Girl's Corner says

I love it! I must try! I bet these would be good with my Caribbean Turkey Chili recipe!

9. { L } says

I am just loving your blog! :D This is awesome! I really want to do this! Good job, they turned out perfect.

10. Than, Erica, Pacen, Camry & Claira says

I've been following your blog for a few months, and I LOVE it. Seriosly, I do. I love that I feel like it's all stuff I can do and I love that. So, thanks for doing it. There's at least one person out in the world that really loves the things that you do and appreciates you for sharing.

11. Than, Erica, Pacen, Camry & Claira says

and I just spelled seriously wrong. what a great first impression. :)

12. Tiffany says

I love this! For Halloween dinner, we have cheesy potatoe soup. This goes PERFECT with that!

13. **Amy** says

Thanks everyone! Chelsea–Thanks for passing on the award to me! I usually don't take the time to do the things that go along with them, but love getting them! Thanks for thinking of the Idea Room! I will just use my blogging time to share more fun ideas! But that doesn't mean you should stop giving them to me :) hehe!!

14. Rainy Day Farm says

I love it! So darn adorable. I am so going to make those with the kiddos! Can't wait to try them. Thanks so much for sharing such a cute idea.

15. [email protected] says

Those are AWESOME! I love pumpkins and I love bread bowls. I've gotta try this one. I'll be linking too. Thanks so much for the fun idea!

16. Morgan says

Cool! My kids would love eating out of a bread bowl, especially one shaped like a pumpkin. Great idea!

17. Clint and Gillian says

I tried this recipe out on my husband…to MUCH SUCCESS! They were such a HIT! Thanks for the fun and easy idea, we had a great time making and eating them!!!

18. Tasha says

I made these tonight and my family loved them! The kids thought I was so clever! Thanks for making me look smarter than I am :)