The Innkeepers Key

**Just a reminder…if you have used my ideas and then posted them on your blogs, please link back to my blog! I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

I mentioned in an earlier post that I am in charge of planning the women’s activities for our church group. This past Tuesday was our Christmas Party. We gave each of the women one of these as a little Christmas gift.

They are brass skeleton keys meant to represent the Innkeepers Key. The innkeeper who said there was no room at the inn for Mary and Joseph in Luke 2 from the Bible. I included a quote from one of our church’s apostles, Elder Neal A. Maxwell. He said that “each of us is an innkeeper who decides if there is room for Jesus.”

The women can then remove the key from the paper and place it onto their ring of keys so that they could see it and always remember that they are the only one who can unlock the door and let Christ into their life.

I also included a poem to go along with the key which can be used as a bookmark.

The poem is called A Prayer For December:

Dearest God,
Please never let me
Crowd my life
Full to the brim.
So like the keeper of Bethlehem’s Inn,
I find I have no room for Him.
Instead, let my heart’s door
Be ever open,
Ready to welcome
The newborn King.
Let me offer the best I have
To Him
Who gives me everything.
–author unknown

For those of you who celebrate Christmas and believe in the Bible, this idea is really universal. It would make a nice simple and inexpensive gift for a neighbor or friend.

Since I already have these all made up, in the spirit of Christmas, I have provided them for you to download and print for your own use. For the poem, click here. For the key tag, click here. I purchased my keys (which are sold in a pair) here. Please feel free to change them to suit your own needs!

Comments

1. Chong Sung Ting says

This is such a nice idea!
    I've been reading your posts for a while and I really admire your creativity, and also the way you manage to be a testimony to His love in such a gentle way!
    I am truly encouraged =]
    Thanks for sharing,
    sung ting

2. Chocolate on my Cranium says

I'll be using this unique idea for Visiting teaching and as to add to neighbor gifts. Thanks so much for including the printables!

3. (starttheslideprojector) says

Thank you so much! This will be a great addition to my young women's lesson!

4. karen May says

You have the best blog ever. I love all your ideas. You have a special gift of creativity and generosity. I will pray that you are richly blessed. Thanks for sharing your gift.

5. The Hershey Bryces says

LOVE this idea! I've already made arrangements to use this for next year's December RS meeting. I even passed it on to my MIL and her sister (both RS Counselors). Thanks for sharing and making it so easy to do!

6. Lori says

I absolutely LOVE this! Not only at Christmas time but a reminder each day to always have room for Jesus!

7. Lynda Mills says

I not only LOVE this idea, I ordered the keys and plan on doing this for my church, my husband and I teach Sunday School and for Christmas we're doing a presentation. So at the end of the play I'll have the children hand these out to the church.

8. ** Adrian ** says

Thank you SOO much for sharing this!! I have shared this thought before, but never thought of using keys to go along with it. I love the idea! We ordered the keys & will be giving the keychains to our YW after our joint Christmas lesson! Thanks again!

9. Megs says

I found this idea through "Christ centered Christmas". I absolutely love it. I am going to give them to the YW in our ward for their gift this year. Thank you so much for sharing and have a very Merry Christmas!

10. Lisa says

Wow—-Just at the right time….

I was out of town the weekend you posted this and have been running full steam ahead ever since. Church fellowships, school functions, family parties, Christmas cards… We never got the outside lights up this year and I just said a few days ago, "It just doesn't feel like Christmas without them."

And today I was scrolling through my dashboard and this blog caught my eye.

"Thank you God for always putting us first, even when we fail to do the same for You! Thank you for the opportunity to bond with women of faith all over the country. Bless Amy and her family."

11. Ann says

Such a great idea. I would love to recreate this for the girls in my small group this coming Christmas. Thank you for sharing this idea. Btw, love you blog.

Admiring the time and effort you put into your site and in depth information you provide.

It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed material.
    Fantastic read! I’ve saved your site and I’m adding
    your RSS feeds to my Google account.

13. Sharilee says

The link to the key tag for “each of us is an innkeeper who decides if there is room for Jesus.”
    is no longer there. Do you still have that? I’d love to use this for my RS lesson on the 23rd and found some great deals on keys on Etsy.

Nice blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make
    my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your design.
    Thanks

15. Andrea Sutherland says

I was unable to open the files for the InnKeepers poem and card. Can you send it to me in an email please?

16. Andrea Sutherland says

This is the error I receive:

File Removed for Violation.

The file you requested has been removed from MediaFire for a violation of our Terms of Service.

Still have questions, or think we’ve made a mistake? Please contact support for further assistance.

1. [...] found another idea for Christmas Boxes for the homeless and The Innkeepers key idea. Not sure I will get to these ideas this year, but they are food for [...]