Butterfly Wall Collage

butterfly wall art collage 4

Pin It

Ever have one of those projects that just seems to take F.O.R.E.V.E.R. to complete? I have one of those half finished right now…my daughter’s room. I painted the walls over two months ago and just finally painted the trim. In the meantime, I have been searching for ideas to decorate her walls with a fun wall collage. Then I found this butterfly wall art collage over at Ali Edwards. I knew immediately that it would fit perfectly for what I had in mind.

Photobucket

So I took an old frame that was currently empty and spray-painted it white. I then took the back of the picture frame (the wood) and spray-painted it white as well. Then I used a butterfly punch and punched out several butterflies from scrapbook paper.

Photobucket

I measured the inside of the photo matte and figured out how many rows and columns of butterflies I wanted. Then I drew a dot where I wanted to glue each butterfly so they were lined up perfectly. Then I simply glued the butterflies into place.

Photobucket

I removed the glass from the frame so that the butterfly wings could stick out from the picture itself. So easy and totally free and I already had everything on hand! What could be more perfect than that? I love how colorful it is and how it looks on her blue walls.

We have a few more loose ends to tie up before her room is finished and I will share it with you when we are finished!

Pin It

Comments

1. ShadowCase says

I love this idea–you are always so creative! It's great because it's something you can do together with your kids. I love to involve them as much as I can with my projects.

2. Melanie says

I've been wanting to do this, but don't have a butterfly punch! I should probably just run and get one… yours looks fantastic, it is really motivating to get onto mine.

3. Lil Eskimo says

LOOOOVE this. i love repetition and simplicity and WOW does this fit it! i have a hoard of boys, but am thinking this concept could be used with ANY theme! thanks for sharing!

4. Karin van D. says

That's so lovely, Amy. I love all the colours and yet it's still balanced. Beautiful!

5. Melissa says

Love this! I want to try it for my daughter's room which is decorated with butterflies! Thanks!

6. Wendy says

I made a link to your blog from mine. Hope that's ok. I just love this! Your inspiration piece is lovely too. But I love the colors you chose and the size you did! Wonderful!

7. Andrea says

Love it!! You know how much I love butterflies. Thanks for giving me a Wyatt moment today. I may have to make one for my daughters room as well. Thanks for the idea.

8. Tanyia says

O M G …

I totally fell in love with the sweet simple idea, thank you for sharing that!

9. Vickie E says

I absolutely love this. now where to find a butterfly punch…hmm…I MUST go shopping :)

10. Miki says

Wow! This is sooo cute! I love it, good job :)

My daughter would love something like this in her room, love the idea!

11. The Whimsical Princess says

Really cute. You need a cricut! Your hand has to be tired after all of that punch!

12. Hannah says

So great Amy! I have seen something like this around the world wide web…your version is adorable!

13. **Amy** says

Thanks guys! It was SUPER easy. I want to make one now with flowers for my older daughters room. I got the punch at Roberts a while ago and can not remember the brand…Fiskars maybe??? The paint color is Sun-washed Blue by Ralph Lauren and I LOVE it!! Not usually my style but it totally matches my daughters fun and colorful personality!

@Andrea–So glad you like it and hope you can incorporate it into your home for Wyatt's sake!

@Wendy–Thanks for the link :)

@Jessica–Glad to have you with us!

@Whimsical Princess–I know I need a cricut! I tell my hubs that all the time. I will show him your comment! LOL! I had my daughters help me punch though so I can't complain. They loved it!

Thanks all!

14. Cary says

Too cute! I'm going to have to look around for a boy punch though…Pretty sure my son would not appreciate butterflies :)

15. CL Field says

This is incredibly adorable and creative! I love color and pattern, and it's sort of a tongue in cheek nod to the real pinned butterfly displays. Really great.

16. Infarrantly Creative says

That is perfect for a girl's room. I totally love the simplicity of it but at the same time the COLOR! BeautifuL!

17. jes says

I've been meaning to do this.. I have
    the punch and everything. I'm glad you pointed out the need to measure, I would have not figured that part out until too late! Thanks!

18. Carmie, the Single Nester says

I love it. Can you email me the brand of the butterfly punch you used? Thanks!

19. Nikki says

What a great idea! A boy's room could have cars or some sort of animal…hmm, endless possibilities.

20. Brenda says

I LOVE this!!! I am in the middle of revamping my girls room….trying to please both is pretty hard. But one loves butterflies and the other ladybugs…maybe I could incorporate both. Thanks for the fun idea!

21. Laura @ Laura's Crafty Life says

Butterflies are one of my favorite things. I, too, have been struggling to decorate my daughters room and this is perfect. I will need to get a butterfly punch, but I absolutely have everything else on hand.

22. jackiebagel says

This is AWESOME!!!!! i have a little trouble figuring out how to get them to stay but still… wow.

23. Shelly Paulson says

Thanks for the inspiration. Just completed a version of this for my nursery. I added her name to it in the middle. I loved it! Keep up the great work and ideas! You are so creative!

24. Linda Holder says

I am a grandmaw with 2 grandsons and I would like to make some of those Butterfly Crafts with them soon. They are very pretty to look at. Thank you for the ideal and keep up the good work.

Just stopping by to let you know that I’ve featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I’d love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
    featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

26. Jill says

Have you had any problems with the paper/butterflies curling a few weeks after you’ve finished the project?

27. Susan Simons says

I made one of these for a friend’s 25th anniv…used a heart punch to make 24 silver hearts and 1 red heart for #25. I made a table on Micosoft Word and put a dot on each space for placement…drew dark line with a black Sharpie first and then put clean white paper over the grid and marked with the dot. I use small double sided sticky dots from Micheal’s…Micheal’s even had an inexpensive silver 11 x 14 frame with an 8×10 mat!

1. [...] to make a sell at the Madison Art Walk or something like that. Turns out the original idea sprang from a picture with butterflies. We both thought it look too cute to not do. While at Michael’s we gathered a butterfly [...]

2. [...] Framed: A quick project I’ve been meaning to do from the first time I saw it on Pinterest  It fits nicely with the other mounted (real) butterflies all over our [...]

3. [...] saw this gorgeous butterfly wall collage over at the idea room and knew I wanted to make it right away. I had the paper punched butterflies left over from [...]

4. […] I used this tutorial for the butterfly collage art in case you want to make one yourself. I bought all the materials (scrapbooking paper, tacky glue, white art board, butterfly punch) from Michael’s (including the frame which was 40% off). […]

5. […] I came across a lovely, DIY paper butterfly collage from The Idea Room. Check out their version here. I knew I had to try this on my own, and soon. Once the little thing called my wedding was out of […]