Hair Tool Storage Cabinet

I FINALLY got a second to sit down and write up this post.  Sorry to leave you hanging about what exactly was hidden behind this Bathroom Towel Rack Cabinet door.  Many of you guessed there was a laundry chute inside.  Oh how awesome that would be…I had one growing up in my parents house and though we DID use it for laundry, it was also used by us kids for many other devious purposes…hehe!  But, unfortunately my laundry room is on the opposite end of the house so it would have to be quite the chute to get the laundry to the laundry room and I am sure that more than just a sock might get lost in there.

image

So, the next best option for me was to create my very own personal Hair tool Storage Cabinet.  I do love my curling iron…when I actually don’t have my hair in a pony tail *ahem*!  And…I have three girls…enough said!

towel rack cabinet 9wm

Pin It

So that means I spend a little bit of time doing hair on Sunday mornings and before school (when they cooperate). And even though my girls have THEIR OWN bathroom, they tend to gather in our Master Bathroom. Can any of you relate?

towel rack cabinet 10wm

We simply made a “box” that contained three sides.  We left one side off the back so that we could tuck all the cords behind it to keep them from being seen all strewn about in the cabinet.  We also left a small gap in the back so that the cords could fall down behind the box shelf.

towel rack cabinet 11towel rack cabinet 12

Then we placed the box into the bottom of the cabinet.  This becomes the base that we screwed the hair tool station onto.

towel rack cabinet 1wm

We ordered this hair organizing station online.

towel rack cabinet 2wm

Directly behind our customized towel rack, was an electrical outlet.  We wanted to be able to utilize this without having the electrical cords showing so we did what any normal person would do…

towel rack cabinet 3wm

We took (and by we…I mean “the hunky Mr. Idea Room”) drilled some holes in the back of the cabinet so that we could cut out the cabinet directly where the electrical outlet was.

towel rack cabinet 4wm

towel rack cabinet 5wm

After the 4 “pilot” holes were drilled Mr. Idea Room took his jigsaw and cut out a small rectangle to expose the outlet to the inside of the cabinet.  Then we placed our electrical strip inside so we had plenty of spots for all of our hair appliances.

towel rack cabinet 7wm

I LOVE it!  I love being able to turn on the curling iron or flat iron and let them heat up and not be cluttering up the counter top.  They are hidden AND out of the way.  Just the way this momma likes to have things that she uses on a daily basis.

towel rack cabinet wm

Maybe it will help with the clutter…Haha…Here’s to hoping!

And…to answer your questions…you can find all of the following here:

Update Builder Grade Cabinets with finial feet.

Painting Bathroom cabinets white tutorial.

The yellow rug was painted by me…Painted Rug tutorial!

DIY Trumeau Mirror (not pictured)

Framed in Builder’s Grade Mirror

Original Customized Towel Rack post.

Towels are from Anhropologie.

Hair Appliance Tool Holder purchased here.

What do you think? If you had a cabinet like this what would you like to store in there?

Pin It

Comments

You are a genius Amy!! I need a hunky Mr Idea Room to make me one stat. My Tim from Tool Time sadly can’t make it happen. Gosh I want one of those!!!

Amy… this is seriously genious!!! I think every woman who reads this post is now trying to figure out how to get her husband to build her one of these :) Or maybe we’ll want one so bad we’ll do it ourselves! I am sooo doing this when I have a bigger bathroom. Thanks for sharing!

I am just trying to figure out where in my tiny little master bath I can fit this baby! Genius! I love the colors in the room as well : )

4. MeganM. says

This is such a brilliant idea! Awesome job. It looks so beautiful and professional! Love it!!!

Okay seriously! Amazing! I’ve been searching for that kind of exact organizer forever (the actual black organizer) could you PLEASE PLEASE share exactly where you ordered it from?

Thanks!
    Pamela

6. brittany says

that is soooo cool! I would love to have something like this in my bathroom. Sadly my bathroom isn’t big enough. Maybe one day.

I LOVE this! I have been dreaming about a way to get the hair tools off of the counter and in a usable space of their own. This has inspired me (to inspire my hubby) to create a personally tailored hair tool closet of our own! Thanks!!!

that is a really awesome idea! so clever and I too love that it’s out of the way and “hidden” when you need it to be.

I am FOR SURE breaking the commandment about not coveting right now. That is FANTASTIC! I hope you sense the depth of your genius. Seriously.

10. Kathryn says

Hi Amy! I sent you an email in regards to your rug, but I’m sure that you get tons of emails everyday :) do you mind sharing the color of your “the mat” bathroom rug? I’m trying to figure out if it’s the gardenia white color…Thanks!

Simply brilliant idea!
    No more tangled up cords and cluttered up vanities.
    I was lazy and just cut off my hair. ; )

@Tina Me too! I have an afro. Too much work not just doing the hair, but also having to find storage solutions for all the gadgets to do the hair! AHHH.

This is a great storage idea though and it looks good.

How great!! Just curious- how do you use them from way down there?? I’m guessing you still have to plug them up higher and then just store them there?
    Great job!

I was worried about that but they are able to reach just fine. I stand by the cabinet and do my hair. I also thought you could add an extension cord to it if needed.

14. Tonya says

I see this has already been asked, but please share where you bought your mustard yellow and white rug. I love it. The cabinet is beautiful as well.

nifty idea! just wondering, since everything is so neatly tucked out of sight, if you’ve had any issues with items getting left on. i know i would totally forget i turned something on the moment i couldn’t see it any more. maybe you’ve already got some fix that would save a space cadet like me. :)

16. Susie says

You could also use assorted sizes of pvc pipe cut to length instead of ordering the holder. I have saw them mounted to the inside of a cabinet door that is already there. This would be just for storage tho which is what I need. Beautiful bathroom by the way.

Holy cow Amy. This is awesome!!! I am so totally completely jealous of your beautiful home…And, I am allowed to say that because I’ve seen it in person.

xoxo

18. Alicia says

Wow! What a great idea! I love it! Did you ever consider putting a mirror where the towels are hung and making that a hair station all around? You did say you have daughters and that means they’ll probably always be in the master bathroom fixing hair and doing make-up. with a mirror there, the mirror above the sink will always be available for brushing teeth and washing hands and doing make-up.

19. Lesley says

Hey, I’m a little late to the scene, but I still have a question. I love the cabinet, but what about the heat from the irons. Do y0u leave them to cool first and then put them away?

You can really help most of your clients by helping them use financial statements as a basis for making better business decisions.

Educating these customers in how to handle their tax affairs
    in the future can save them many thousands of dollars.

This method pts are crucial inside working with a defined talent management strategy.

1. […]  DIY Hair Tool Storage Cabinet DIY – PVC Pipe Toothbrush Holders PVC Pipe joiner to organise the hair dryer and straightner Hair tool holder (PVC Pipe) You can even spray paint or paint to  match the color of your wall… Decorative Room Dividers Made of Plastic Pipes Οργανώνουμε και την κουζίνα μας! Measuring Cups Organization PVC and bottles of wine Using PVC pipe to store and display bottles of wine we used 4″ PVC for these bottle holders Αλλά φτιάχνουμε και άλλα πράγματα για τους υπόλοιπους χώρους του σπιτιού μας! Use Picture Molding pretty pvc vase How to: Make a DIY Lighted Umbrella Stand DIY – spraypaint pvc pipes and hang them Και για τους μικρούς μας φίλους μπορούμε τα φτιάξουμε μοναδικές κατασκευές! how to make your own plastic pipe desk organizer diy lazy susan book caddy playhouse Pvc pipe bowling Happy crafting! 28 MAY 0 […]

2. […] to the tutorial: Hair Tool Cabinet via The Idea […]

3. […] Share on Facebook Tweet Keeping your hair styling tools up and out of the way not only saves space but helps you to keep them from getting damaged. You can easily build storage for hair tools inside a cabinet with just a few key essentials. If you have a power outlet near the cabinet, you can drill holes in the back of the cabinet and stick cords through so you will always be able to find the cords and they won’t get tangled during storage. Via: The idea room – Hair Tool Storage Cabinet […]

4. […] Hair Tool Storage Cabinet – A small cabinet used for small bathroom hair appliances will make a huge difference when it comes to organization. This will decrease clutter as well as provide structure. Details… […]