Homemade Lemonade recipe

The weather is getting warmer outside and I have summer and sunshine on my brain.  And I always equate summer with one of my favorite drinks…
Homemade Lemonade.

homemade-lemonade 3wm cover 1

This stuff is pretty amazing.  We tested the recipe twice this week just to make sure!  You guys know that I am forced to do this for you right?  The sacrifices I make…{you’re welcome}!

homemade-lemonade 7wm

Homemade Lemonade Recipe

*Recipe from AllRecipes

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 8-9 cups water {more or less for a sweet or tart taste}
  • 1 1/2 cups lemon juice from freshly squeezed lemons

homemade-lemonade 5wm

Directions:
  1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
  2. Remove seeds from lemon juice, but leave pulp. In a pitcher, stir together chilled syrup, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups water.
    *Tip—to get the most out of your lemons you can either soak the lemons in hot water for 10 minutes or put them in the microwave for 30 seconds.  This helps to release the lemon juice.  Then before cutting them in half, roll them on the counter with the palm of your hand.

homemade-lemonade wm

Whip it up and serve it with some ice cubes or freeze it in your ice cream maker to make it a nice cold Frozen Lemonade!  And…one little tip I learned to prevent your ice from watering down your lemonade as it melts is to freeze some lemonade in your ice trays and use them to keep your drinks ice cold.  It works great!

Where did I get the cute Lemonade Mason Jar Lids you ask? They are from We Love Citrus!

Are you a Lemonade fan?

Comments

I haven’t tried it with the mint or basil! Thanks for the great idea. I have thrown in some mashed strawberries or raspberries before and that adds a yummy twist. So we will definitely be trying your idea :) Thanks Kim!

1. Laurie says

Yummy, we always make homemade lemonade, sometimes using lemon concentrate but still the most refreshing drink all year around!
    Thanks for sharing the jar lids, Love them!

2. WarsawNan says

Same as my recipe, but I add the zest from the lemon peels (only the yellow part, not the white!) to the sugar water when boiling. After it’s cooled, pour through a strainer to remove the zest. Gives it a brighter lemon flavor and color.

GREAT idea! I love the idea of adding the lemon zest. I also like that it will add some fun color to the lemonade! Thanks for sharing that!

• WarsawNan says

When I made it the other day, saved the lemon peels after straining from the sugar water, then I dried them for hours in a low oven until they were crisp. YUM! Can’t wait to try them on top of some Chinese chicken recipe.

This is so cool, this looks delicious, I love lemonade too! I would like to try this at home… :) But I didn´t know it had t be boiled, the sugar with water… curious…

I think the reason you boil it is to completely dissolve the sugar crystals. This makes a nice smooth lemonade that will not have sugar crystals.

Thanks for the pin and the comment :)! I always appreciate it! I used 7 lemons! And you just reminded me that I forgot to add my tip for getting all the lemon juice out of the lemon. I really should not be writing posts late at night :). I will go back and edit it. My tip is to either soak the lemons in hot water for 10 minutes or put them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Then before cutting them in half to juice you can roll them on the counter top to get the juices ready for squeezing.

4. Ann says

The recipe I use is 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup sugar and 5 cups of water. I don’t boil it just stir in room temperature water and stir it real good. Will save you the extra step of boiling and having to dirty another dish.

Ooh I love a good lemonade recipe! We’re just waiting for the lemons on our tree to ripen and then we’ll have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing (and for making the difficult sacrifice of having to taste test this for us! :) )

I just pinned this and finished making my syrup. Can’t wait to taste it later today. We have a beautiful lemon tree in our backyard.

7. Christian Mathis says

I woudl love this bundle, as I enjoy making handmade gifts for my family and clothing for my children

8. Ashley says

I made this yesterday. It was sooo good. My husband loved it! He said he was the best lemonade he has had. I too agree!

I use this same recipe, and love it! Most store bought lemonades have corn syrup in them, so all this work for homemade lemonade is totally worth it! I think it is even better when you puree some strawberries into it— it’s incredible. If you want some melt in your mouth lemon cake, you should check this recipe: http://familysponge.com/food/lemon-yogurt-cake/

It’s from a Dutch friend who know how to bake like nothing else. And it tastes soooo good with fresh squeezed lemonade.

10. Staci says

I use this recipe also, except I just quarter the lemons, peel and run through juicer! It is such good lemonade!

11. Mark says

For Pink lemonade, Try a touch of grenedine to the batch, or to the cup for a newer fangled touch!

12. Amy says

So this is a silly question but I don’t know anything about cooking/making things :P
    How many lemons did you use to get 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice??
    Thanks! LOVE you site!

I’m going to have to try this recipe! I grew up drinking orange lemonade, my grandmother mixed a small can of frozen lemonade with a larger can of frozen orange juice. I never realized there was high fructose corn syrup in the frozen juices. I recently had a craving for lemonade and just happened to find some Organic lemonade in the store, made with zero high fructose corn syrup or other artificial sweeteners. It was delicious, but much more expensive than making it at home.

I’ve been looking for a great lemonade recipe to satisfy my summer dreaming during these cold winter months and this recipe is fantastic! Not too sweet, just perfect and very easy!
    Thanks!

Elizabeth

15. Monica Ward says

Water, lemon juice and simple syrup are in the fridge chilling now. Cannot wait to surprise my girls with this homemade lemonade at dinner tonight. The only problem? Probably should have prepped for 2 batches! Thanks for sharing :)

16. Liz B says

OMG…. As soon as I saw this My girls and I ran to the store and bought a bunch of lemons and made this! I have to say this is by far the best lemonade I have ever made! THANK YOU

17. Lauren says

Hi Amy,
    Where can I find the cute printable lemonade label and recipe to tie onto a pitcher? Thanks! Lauren

18. Georgee Chandler says

This recipe is so fabulous.

I made 12L of it for our engagement garden party. It was so popular.

I was wondering if you knew the store life once made? How long will it store in the fridge without going bad?
    I’m thinking of making bottles of homemade lemonade for gifts.

Any suggestions what I could put as a used by date?

Thanks for this amazing recipe.