A couple of weeks ago, I shared with you this Halloween Sign for the Salem Broom Co. that I made with my Cricut Explore. I had originally wanted to hang the sign up on the wall but did not have a great location for it. I wanted the sign to be horizontal because the vertical version was harder to read. So, of course, I decided to make a DIY Sign Post to hang the sign from. I figured I would be able to use the sign year round for the other holidays as well.
4 x 4 post (cut to 36 inches tall)
Square Base (11 x 11 inches)
Molding (2 x 4 with 1 inch cut off)
- 4 pieces measuring 2 and 3/8 and cut at 45 degree angles
Post Cap (for 4 x 4 post) (found near fencing aisle)
Staples or Nails
Staple Gun or Nail Gun/Hammer
Hook or Hardware to hang sign from (I took apart on old sign and used the hardware plate)
1. Cut your 4 x 4 post to 36 inches with your saw.
2. Cut your square board to 11 x 11 inches.
3. Screw the square base onto the bottom of the post. We put 3 screws into the base.
4. Glue the post cap onto the top of the post with wood glue. Wipe off any access glue or drips.
5. Cut your molding strips so they fit around your base of the post and sit on the square base. Cut the ends at a 45 degree angle so the corners match up nicely at the edges of the post. Glue and nail into place.
6. Let the glue dry completely.
7. Use Painter’s Caulk to fill in the edges and cracks and let dry completely.
8. Paint your post white (or stain it). Mine took three coats.
9. Screw on the hook or hardware for hanging the sign.
Hang your favorite Holiday or Home Decor sign from the post. If you are interested in how to make the Salem Broom Co. Halloween Sign, you can follow our tutorial here:
In addition to the Halloween Salem Broom Co. Sign, I made a Broom Parking Sign and hung some brooms from it. I will be sharing a tutorial for that soon. The brooms are from Michaels.
Have you had a chance to sign up for Lowe’s Creative Ideas Magazine. It’s FREE and offers a bunch of DIY inspiration. Go ahead and connect with Lowes Creative Ideas to find a lot more fun and creative ideas.
*Disclosure–In accordance with the FTC Guidelines, I am disclosing that I received compensation from Lowe’s for my time and participation in the Lowe’s Creative Ideas Influencer Network. However, all opinions and statements are mine and mine alone.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.