Sharing a super easy but amazing Wild Orange Body Butter Recipe that you can make at home. Makes a great gift and leaves skin feeling smooth and soft.
Another spa recipe? You bet! I just love coming up with new ways to use my doTerra essential oils. And…living in a dry, desert state has me craving some super yummy lotions and body butters, especially with the approach of summer time.
If you have been following along with me for a while, you will know of my love for my doTerra oils and of all things citrusy. One of my favorite oils is doTerra’s Wild Orange essential oils. It smells amazing. Sometimes I will just dab a little drop on my neck so that I can smell it all day long!
I decided to take it one step further and make a lovely, creamy cocoa body butter with it. You could substitute mango butter or shea butter instead of cocoa butter and it would be equally as delicious. But, since I already had some cocoa butter on hand, I used that. I actually really loved the final outcome because the cocoa butter gives the body butter a hint of cocoa smell…so it smells like chocolate oranges…and you can’t go wrong with that.
This homemade whipped body butter is a rich moisturizer, easy to make, and smells amazing! This cream is rich in vitamins and leaves your skin feeling soft and smooth. Give it a try with our recipe below!
HOW TO MAKE BODY BUTTER
This homemade body butter is a great basic recipe and you should be able to substitute any essential oil with the Wild Orange oil to make a number of great smelling body butters! For instance you could make chocolate lavender using a lavender essential oil. You could make chocolate mint, chocolate raspberry, or any other citrus flavor. You can never go wrong with citrus oils! There are many essential oil blends that you could use as well–the options are endless! So, if orange isn’t your favorite, experiment with something that you are going to love!
- 1 cup Cocoa Butter
- 1 to 2 TBSP of Sweet Almond Oil (Coconut Oil)
- 8 drops of Vitamin E oil (optional)
- 8 drops of Wild Orange doTerra Essential Oil
- Soften Cocoa Butter in the microwave if yours is hard. Do this by melting it in 5 second intervals. You want it soft like butter…not liquid.
- Whip up the cocoa butter with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) and slowly add your almond oil. I use less almond oil and just slowly add it till I have a good consistency.
- Add in the Vitamin E oil and your essential oils and stir together to fully incorporate.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Only scoop the body butter out of the container with clean hands to prevent bacteria from growing in the body butter.
- Should last for up to 3 months.
- Use as a body lotion to make hands and skin soft, smooth and smelling amazing.
WILD ORANGE BODY BUTTER
This makes a perfect gift for friends and family! Put it in a cute container and add this adorable printable Wild Orange Body Butter Label to finish it off nicely!
Wild Orange Body Butter Recipe
- 1 cup Cocoa Butter1
- 1 to 2 TBSP of Sweet Almond Oil2
- 8 drops of Vitamin E oil optional
- 8 drops of Wild Orange doTerra Essential Oil3
Soften Cocoa Butter in the microwave if yours is hard. Do this by melting it in 5 second intervals. Make sure not to melt it all the way--you want it soft like butter...not liquid.
Whip up the cocoa butter in a bowl with a hand mixer (or stand mixer) to obtain that airy texture. Slowly add your almond oil. I use less almond oil and just slowly add it till I have a good consistency.
Add in the Vitamin E oil and your essential oils to the mixture and stir together to fully incorporate.
Store in an airtight container4 out of direct sunlight.
Only scoop the body butter out of the container with clean hands to prevent microbial growth in the body butter.
Should last for up to 3 months5.
Use as a body lotion to make hands and skin soft, smooth and smelling amazing.
- If you are substituting the cocoa butter for shea butter, it is a 1:1 ratio so just use 1 cup shea butter instead.
- Instead of using sweet almond oil, you can use coconut oil, jojoba oil, or sunflower oil.
- The more drops of essential oil you use, the stronger the scent will be. I found that 8 drops gives it the perfect amount of scent.
- Any airtight container will work. You could use a lotion or body butter container. Mason jars work great too!
- Of course, adding preservatives would extend the shelf life of the product, however, since I was looking for an all-natural product, I did not add any preservatives. It may not last as long, but I love the fresh feeling of it and knowing that it is made of all natural products!
- If you find the body butter is too greasy, try adding 1 tsp arrowroot powder, cornstarch, or tapioca starch and that should do the trick! I can't speak to the success of it because I haven't tried it out myself, however I have done a lot of research and this is what people suggest.
FREE PRINTABLE LABELS
The labels can be printed off from here, which I am happy to share with you below. Simply print the label (which comes in a couple of different sizes to fit your needs) on white computer paper or white cardstock on your colored laser printer (this is keep it from bleeding ink if wet). Then cut it out with a circle punch or scissors and glue onto the container lid or side of the container with a simple glue stick. The labels look just like a real sticker label! If you want to reuse the container, all you have to do is soak the label in warm water and it comes right off!
If you would like to download the Wild Orange Body Butter Labels, click on the link below:
SUGAR SCRUB AND BATH SALTS
Sharing some of our favorite DIY Sugar Scrub and Bath Salts that you might be interested in checking out:
- Frankincense Sugar Scrub
- Myrrh Bath Salts
- Homemade Bath Salts Recipe
- Chocolate Sugar Scrub
- Cinnamon Vanilla Sugar Scrub
- Coconut Lime Sugar Scrub
- Peppermint Sugar Foot Scrub
- Candy Cane Sugar Scrub
- Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub
- Lemon Sugar Scrub
- Brown Sugar Scrub
- Citrus Bliss Sugar Scrub Cubes
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.