Tamale Pie Casserole
This Tamale Pie Casserole is a quick and easy dinner recipe the whole family will love. A delicious Mexican Dish made easy!
I love a good tamale, but don’t always have the time to spend to make them right! So, the next best thing is to make this super simple and easy Tamale Pie Casserole! This recipe is packed with delicious flavor and couldn’t be easier to make. Now, I don’t know about you, but that is the perfect combination when it comes to a great family dinner recipe.
This Mexican Dish is sure to be a big hit with everyone in the house. My kids really like this recipe and that doesn’t always happen. There is usually one child who turns up their nose at something on their dinner plate!
Tamale Pie Casserole
1 to 1.5 pounds of ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16 oz.) can corn, drained
2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
4 cups cold water
1 cup onion, chopped
2 (15 oz.) tomato sauce
1 (15 oz.) can olives, chopped
4 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
Corn Meal topping:
1½ cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a large saucepan, combine tomato sauce, corn olives, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, brown ground beef with onion, pepper and garlic.
- Drain off fat and stir into thickened sauce.
- Add shredded cheese and pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Make the Cornbread Topping: Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients over the cornmeal mixture and stir together until barely incorporated.
- Pour the cornbread batter over the filling, using a spatula to spread it into an even layer. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
What are your favorite Casserole recipes? Do you have a favorite your whole family enjoys? I would love to hear about it!
Thanks for stopping by! xoxo
Would you like more recipes, printables, DIY/Decor, and organization ideas?
Sign up for updates and get a free copy or our Sugar Scrubs eBook!