Father’s Day Gift Ideas

I have procratinated figuring out what to give my hubby for Father’s Day this year because things have been a bit crazy around here. We already picked out a new suit for his gift this year because he could no longer wear his other one due to a large hole he had worn on the seat of his pants.

But I wanted the kids to be able to give him a gift so he had something to open on his special day. I made him some homemade BBQ sauce using one of our favorite recipes and a homemade meat rub to go along with it. I put some of the sauce into an old store bought BBQ sauce bottle and packaged up the BBQ rub. I bought some meat and have all the ingredients for a delicious barbeque ready to go for our Sunday dinner. Here are the recipes if you are interested.

Homemade Pork Meat Rub:
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika

Directions:
In a medium bowl, mix together white and brown sugars, salt, pepper, and paprika. Rub onto pork 10 minutes prior to grilling. Store any leftover rub in a sealed container.

The Homemade BBQ sauce recipe is from our neighbors who I grew up next to. It is so yummy. Or use your own homemade BBQ sauce or find one on the internet. There are a lot out there.

Homemade BBQ Sauce:
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup margarine
1 lb pkg. brown sugar
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
32 oz bottle ketchup

Then I found this fun idea at kmckaydesigns.com. Since my hubby has a few favorite snacks, I decided the kids could help me make this cute snack case for him to take and keep at work.

It is made using a six pack of IBC Cream Soda and some scrap book paper. I found the directions and templates for everything you need to make them here.

I am really tempted to make these for my guy too. I seriously can not get over how talented Bakerella is. These look so yummy.

What fun things are you making for the Father’s in your life?

Comments

1. Layne says

I love your ideas! We saw the bakerella burgers and we are ready to bake them in the morning!!

2. TODD TAYLOR says

What a great idea! Trash to Treasure is always a good thing!Too cute, great advice.The truth which has made us free will in the end make us glad also.

3. **Amy** says

I had to think about your "interesting text" comment for a minute…then I realized what you were referring too! I didn't mean to be vulgar! Haha! That is just what they are called. Hope I didn't offend anybody. any alternative names out there?

4. Ryder Royalty says

I have a question…when you make the BBQ sauce and the meat rub, what do you do with it? For instance, if I wanted to give it as gifts, how do I have to store/package it? The sauce would need to be refrigerated…would it not?

5. **Amy** says

The meat rub is litterally used to rub into the meat. It will tenderize and flavor the meat. Then you cook the meat on your BBQ grill. I let the meat sit in the refrigerator with the rub on it in a plastic bag for a couple of hours before I cook it. Yes, the BBQ sauce needs to go in the fridge.

6. **Amy** says

Not sure how long it can last. I would guess you go with the quidelines for spices and brown sugar and storage life. My best guess would be about 3 months. Maybe longer if you stuck it in the fridge or freezer.

I might be missing it, but I can’t seem to find a link to the pop bottle kit you made, the word “here” doesn’t seem to get me anywhere, can anyone help me?

Great blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make
    my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your
    design. Thanks a lot

Love, Love, LOVE the Retro Soda Bottle Snacks! Featuring this today on my Father’s Day Roundup :)
    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

Thanks so much Katie! And thank you for featuring this. I always appreciate that. Hope you have a great Father’s Day with your family!

Screenshot Windows security warning courtesy of author.

So make sure that you have the correct and appropriate driver to ensure smooth functioning of your hardware and software applications and to make your faster PC faster and better.
    It can occur during everyday usage, when you install new programs, when windows updates automatically
    install themselves and for many other reasons as well.

1. Apartments near Kirkwood Community College - Kirkwood Community College Apartments near Kirkwood Community College and Kirkwood Community College housing says:

[…] Snack Attack! Decorate an old 6 pack (cleaned out of course!) and fill each bottle with his favorite snacks.  Get the full tutorial here. […]

2. Des Moines Apartments Grimes Apartments in Ankeny Johnston Iowa Apartments in Pleasant Hill area Apartments | Haverkamp Properties says: