Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes

Tis the season for baking…and CINNAMON! I LOVE Cinnamon. I also love eating breakfast foods for dinner. So the other night we whipped up some yummy Cinnamon Roll Pancakes for dinner. Ummmm….Hello! This should not be legal. It was practically like eating a big cinnamon roll for dinner. Probably not a great habit to get into, but they were a hit with all! I also ended up using wheat flour…does that cancel out the bad?

cinnamon-roll

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes:

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups buttermilk

2 tablespoons butter

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 tablespoon honey

Cinnamon swirl:

2 tablespoons melted butter

(Instead of butter we used a little milk to thin it out)

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon flour

1. Mix all the ingredients together to make the pancakes and set aside. Preheat your pan or skillet and lightly grease it.

2. Make the Cinnamon Swirl mixture and place it into a a small bottle with a squirt nozzle (the name is escaping me…I used one)or a small baggie with a snip in the corner.

3. Spread your batter into small pancakes on the griddle. Immediately add the cinnamon swirls.

4. Cook the pancakes until small bubbles form on the topside of the pancake and do not fill back in with batter.

5. Flip over the pancakes with a turner and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute.

Photobucket

Buttermilk Syrup:

4 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup sugar

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1. In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, sugar, and buttermilk. Set over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and allow too simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off heat and stir in vanilla and baking soda. Stir and the mixture will become thick and bubbly.

Photobucket

Go ahead and try them. I was given this recipe by a good friend and she has never steered me wrong…Thanks Michelle! And of course if you give them a try I would love to hear how you like them!

Comments

1. Megan says

oh, yum! That swirl makes it look so pretty too! I made some cinnamon pancakes a while ago that tasted like cinnamon rolls, but these actually LOOK like one, how cool!

2. Nancy's Couture says

YUM!!!! I love pancakes and cinnamon. We like to have breakfast for dinner to. The kids always ask for seconds and even
    thirds. I know these would be a hit!!!!

3. Megan says

Thanks for sharing! We also love cinnamon & breakfast for dinner so I was hooked as soon as I read your opening sentences!
    My husband didn't have class until 10 this morning (usually he's out the door before 8) so we tried these today & YUM!!!

4. Gretchen says

I LOVE cinnamon as well! I'm going to try these pancakes! My daughter isn't old enough to eat solids yet so I will make these for the rest of the family. I will let you know how they turn out! Thanks for the recipe!

5. Carrie @ Dittle Dattle says

Amy, I couldn't love you more! LOL. Seriously the most fabulous thing I've seen and can't wait to eat!!!! We love breakfast food anytime of the day :D

6. Kasey says

I have the same buttermilk syrup recipe and I love it! I can't wait to try it with these pancakes because I too am in love with Cinnamon. Have you tried Saigon cinnamon? Yum! Thanks again for sharing!

7. Kristi says

These look ah-mazing! We love cinnamon rolls at our house, but all of the time and effort can be a bit much. I will definetely have to keep these in mind the next time we are craving cinnamon rolls. Thanks so much for sharing.

8. Steph says

These look really fun! And I'm glad you shared the buttermilk syrup recipe because it is AMAZING and not enough people know about it.

9. Charlie says

Made for 15year old daughter morning and was quite the hit! Thanks for helping me get her day off to a great start!

10. Heidi says

Oh, my. I made these for dinner last night and they were delicious! My cinnamon swirl ended up really thick since the butter squeezed out, so I mostly sprinkled it instead. Still amazing. Just not so pretty.

11. Andrea says

I added a ripe mashed banana to the recipe and sprinkled them with powdered sugar. Fast and easy banana bread! THanks

12. jomama says

Beware of the buttermilk syrup- it is so delicious, you will start dreaming up excuses to make it. Can't wait to try the pancakes.

13. Robins Fam says

Made these and LOVED them! They were a big hit with all the kiddos and hubby, too. They didn't turn out as beautiful as yours, but what does? The circle swirly was fun, though. Thank you for sharing!!

14. **Amy** says

Thanks for the comments everyone. Glad you like them. And thanks for those of you who made them and took the time to come back and tell me.

As far as how pretty they look, you should have seen the first few I made. I learned that they turn out better when you are *patient* and wait to turn them.

15. Sue says

I LOVE these! The cinnamon swirl sounds so yummy! I'm going to make some! Thanks for the great idea! Have a great weekend!

16. Nana's Fun Stuff says

Amy I just had to let you know that I tried them this morning for breakfast and OMGosh they were so YUMMY!!! A big hit with the hubs that's for sure. The only thing different I did was make them with wheat pancake mix so they didn't show up as pretty as yours but still absolutely delicious. A new family fav that's for sure. Thank you so much for sharing and have a great day!!

Hugs,
    Laura

17. Myrtle says

LOVE THIS! We will try these for sure! You could probably do these with pureed fruits too!

18. Jessica says

Can you use the ole lemon juice and milk or vinegar and milk trick if you happen to not have any buttermilk on hand? Or does it not taste the same? Just curious.

19. Whatever Dee-Dee wants says

Oh my those look good! I know what we're having for breakfast at my house :)

20. Carrie @ Dittle Dattle says

Amy you are still my hero! I've made these twice now for my little goblins and we just adore them. I had to share your recipe with my readers.

The pancakes went so fast in my house that I borrowed your photograph. (I hope that it's okay)

Have a safe and wonderful Halloween weekend ~Carrie

21. Charis says

We made these this morning and they were great!! The kids asked for THIRDS, which never happens – though my husband commented this meal was "more cake than pan." We used the old lemon juice and milk trick to make the buttermilk and everything turned out fine. Also, I had to double the recipe for the cinnamon swirl in order to have enough for all the pancakes. Thanks for posting such a fun recipe!

22. **Amy** says

Thanks for all the kind comments. I especially love it when I hear back from those of you who actually made and loved them!

I forgot to mention that I had to double the cinnamon swirl filling as well till someone mentioned it. I will add that to the recipe.

We also did not have buttermilk so we too did a cup of regular milk with a TBSP of white vinegar. Worked like a charm.

23. Jessi says

So I attempted to make the buttermilk syrup but it never set up. U just checked out some other recipes for it, and they all called for corn syrup. Was this ingredient left out of yours accidentally? I was so bummed when it didn't turn out

24. taradaramadeit says

Um, those look sooooooooo good! I'm going to have to make that for my family. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

25. suzlovejoy says

I have made this recipe twice since you have posted it. Today we had the cinnamon swirls with my sourdough pancake recipe. Delicious and great idea!

26. Jennifer says

The cinnamon swirl is delicious! I highly recommend trying it on baked sweet potatoes too!

27. christine says

gonna make these and serve them with sauteed apples on top… i quiver in anticipation…

28. BreakfastGirl says

I must be missing something. Are the portions in the recipe correct? 1 1/2 c buttermilk but only 1 c flour? When I made these they were too runny and wouldn’t keep their shape on the griddle.