These oven baked Cheesy Potatoes are the perfect side dish casserole. Cheesy Potato Casserole is filled with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and potatoes!
CHEESY POTATOESThese oven baked Cheesy Potatoes are the perfect side dish casserole your whole family will love. This creamy Cheesy Potato Casserole is filled with cheddar cheese, sour cream, hash brown potatoes and a tasty, crunchy cornflake topping! This Cheesy Potato Recipe is also known is some areas as Funeral Potatoes. Why Funeral Potatoes? Such an unfortunate name, but they have earned that nickname because of their popularity. A potato dish that so many love, it has been served up to family’s at the funeral of their loved ones as a delicious comfort food in a difficult time.
CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE
HOW TO THAW HASH BROWNS BEFORE MAKINGIf you are using frozen hash brown potatoes in your cheesy potato casserole, you can put the package of frozen hash browns in the refrigerator overnight. Or, you can empty the hash browns into a bowl or strainer, cover, and let stand at room temperature for about 30 to 40 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid before using the thawed hash browns in your recipe.
HOW TO REHEAT POTATOESWe usually don’t have very many leftovers when we make these cheesy potatoes. But if you do, you can easily reheat them and eat them as leftovers or as a midnight snack! Reheating on the stove or in the oven is the best way to get your leftovers warm without making them soggy. Cover your potatoes with a layer of foil or an oven-safe lid. Preheat your oven to 350 F, and place the dish on the middle rack. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are warmed all the way through.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHEESY POTATOESCheesy Potatoes can be used as a side dish to go along with a savory breakfast, brunch or as a side dish to your main dinner dish. Some of our favorite things to serve with casserole are the following items:
- German Pancakes
- Grilled/Baked Salmon
- Roasted Asparagus
- Baked Ranch Chicken
- Garlic Cheddar Chicken Strips
- Roasted Broccoli
- Rhodes Rolls Copycat Recipe
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY POTATOES
- Place your potatoes in a colander. Let set until thawed and drained.
- Combine sour cream, soup and butter in a large mixing bowl. Mix it well.
- Add salt, onion and cheese to this mixture and mix until all combined.
- Add potatoes to mixture and stir until all combined. Place in greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Melt butter and pour over crushed Corn flakes.
- Sprinkle Corn flake mixture over potatoes.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE SUPPLIES
- 9×13 Non-Stick Wilton Pan with Cover
- Hot Pads
- Wooden Utensils
- White 9 x 13 Stoneware Pan
- cheese grater
- stainless steel colander
- wooden measuring spoons
- wooden measuring cups
- spice bottles
- spice labels
- rubber spatula
CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE VIDEO
CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE RECIPEThese potatoes are so delicious! You might want to double them so that you have enough to go around or some to save for later! These are always a hit and are always requested as part of our Thanksgiving Dinner.
Cheesy Funeral Potatoes
- 2 12 oz. packages Frozen Cubed Hash Browns, thawed
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder optional
- 2 cups cheddar cheese1 shredded
- 2-3 cups corn flakes crushed
- 1/4 cup butter melted
Place your potatoes in a colander. Let set until thawed and drained.
Combine sour cream, soup and butter in a large bowl. Mix it well.
Add salt, onion and cheese to this mixture and mix until all combined.
Add potatoes to mixture and stir until all combined. Place in greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
Melt butter and pour over crushed Corn flakes2.
Sprinkle Corn flake mixture over potatoes.
Bake uncovered at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
Add salt and black pepper per liking when serving.
- For a little extra flavor, you can use sharp cheddar cheese.
- I like to use Corn flakes, however, you can also use Ritz crackers, potato chips, or panko bread crumbs to sprinkle over potatoes.
- To enhance the flavor and make this recipe your own, you can add green onions, mushrooms, or garlic powder.
THANKSGIVING TABLEAnd, we are also sharing these fun Thanksgiving Table Printables! They make decorating your Thanksgiving Table so easy! All you have to do is print and cut! Save yourself the time and use ours!
Sharing recipes, printables, DIY home and craft ideas!
Sign up for updates & grab our free ebook by joining us here!