One of our VERY favorite breakfast recipes are these German Pancakes. They are sometimes named Dutch Babies, German popover pancakes or German Puff Pancakes, But whatever name they go by these German Pancakes are a delicious breakfast your whole family will love.
One of my most requested breakfast recipes are these German Pancakes. They have been a family favorite for years. I grew up eating these and have passed the recipe on to my own family. I love to make them on a busy school morning because they literally blend up in a few minutes. They do have to bake for 20 minutes so all you have to do is get them started first thing. Then they will be ready to go before you kids leave for school.
GERMAN PANCAKE RECIPE
This classic german pancake recipe is a great recipe to make when you have company or have to feed a few people at once. I sometimes have to make two batches when all my kids are home. My big boys like to eat 4-5 pieces of these german pancakes.
We love to eat ours with a little bit of powdered sugar sprinkled on the top of the german pancakes. Then the kids love to add some whipping cream, fresh fruit and top it with a little bit of our favorite buttermilk syrup or maple syrup!
HOW TO MAKE GERMAN PANCAKES
There are a few tips for making these pancakes that will help your pancakes be light and super puffy. If you follow these tips for how to make german pancakes, it should help you get the best results possible.
- The pan needs to be hot before putting your batter into it. So don’t skip the part where you melt the butter in the pan in the oven. Don’t melt the butter in the microwave which may seem easier. The hot pan helps the pancakes begin to puff immediately. Preheat the oven with the butter in the pan so it can melt as the oven and the pan warm up. Then pour the batter directly into the hot pan.
- Using white all purpose flour will give you the best, fluffy pancakes. You can use wheat flour, just know that they pancakes will not be as fluffy.
- Use real butter. While the butter is melting rub a little of the butter stick up on the sides of the pan. This helps the pastry puff up the sides of the pan.
- Only use real eggs and not an egg substitute for this recipe.
- The type of pan you use will also effect the results. I get pretty good results with my 9×13 glass pan. You can also use a cast iron skillet to get great results.
GERMAN PANCAKE SUPPLIES
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 9×13 Non-Stick Wilton Pan with Cover
- Whipped Cream Dispenser
- Powdered Sugar Spoon
- Blendtec Blender
- Hot Pads
- Stainless steel skillet
- Wooden Utensils
- White 9 x 13 Stoneware Pan
GERMAN PUFF PANCAKES
Sometimes called German Puff Pancakes, these pancakes literally take a few minutes to prepare. If you can wait 20 minutes for them to bake, these are one of the easiest breakfast recipes out there! When you take these out of the oven they will lose a little of their puffiness and that is normal!
German Pancake Recipe
One Of Our VERY Favorite Breakfast Recipes Are These German Pancakes. They Are Sometimes Named Dutch Babies, German Popover Pancakes Or German Puff Pancakes, But Whatever Name They Go By These German Pancakes Are A Delicious Breakfast Your Whole Family Will Love.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 Tbs butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. As oven preheats, place the butter in 9x13'' baking dish and put in oven for the butter to melt.
Place the eggs, milk, flour, salt and vanilla in a blender; cover and process until smooth.
Pour batter into the baking dish with the melted butter. Bake, for 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.
Remove from oven and sprinkle generously powdered sugar.
Serve with whipping cream, fresh fruit and syrup if desired.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES
- Easy Breakfast Casserole Recipe
- Overnight Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Casserole
- Baked Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chip Pancake Poppers
- Oven German Pancakes
- Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Gluten Free Blueberry Oatmeal Yogurt Pancakes
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with Homemade Blueberry Syrup
- Light and Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes Recipe
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Mint Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- Candy Cane Pancakes
- Homemade Pancake Mix
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.