Do you have some doily’s that your grandma made? Why not display them or make them into something useful. Doily’s can be made into accessories, art, or home decor. With these DIY Doily Craft Ideas that I found are a great way to inspire you to create something with all those Doily you have sitting in a box.
WHAT DO PEOPLE USE DOILIES FOR?
In the past doilies were used to display items, or go under an item to protect a surface or furniture. They were used as ornamentation on clothing or worn as lace collars. Today they are used more as an craft or in home decor.
WHAT CAN YOU MAKE OUT OF DOILIES?
Do you have vintage doilies or lace doilies that you would like to save, display or repurpose? Maybe you have wondered what you can do with grandma’s old doilies…or how you can use crocheted doilies in your modern home decor. Today I am sharing a lot of creative ideas I gathered to give you some creative ways to display your store-bought or handmade doilies.
WHAT TYPE OF DOILIES ARE AVAILABLE? WHERE CAN I FIND THEM
There are actually several different kind of doilies that have been handmade or sold over the years. They may have been a lot more popular back in your grandparents day…but they have made a little bit of a comeback in the crafting world and in home decor projects.
If you don’t happen to have any vintage doilies passed down from a relative or a friend, you can easily find them in thrift stores or second hand stores. I have also found several for you and have linked to them here:
- handmade lace doilies
- paper doilies
- crocheted coilies
- vintage doilies
- Round Doilies
- Square Doilies
- Runner Doilies
- Lace Doilies
- Filet Crochet Doilies
HOW CAN YOU DISPLAY YOUR GRANDMA’S VINTAGE DOILIES?
I have gathered several fun tutorials that use doilies for you to check out! Please be sure to click on the link and go to the original owners site.
HOW TO USE AND DISPLAY DOILIES IN YOUR HOME
Check out the following ideas for using doilies to add a touch of whimsy in your home in a beautiful way.
- Doily Wall Art from The Coloradolady
- DIY Lace String Lights from The Sweet Escape
- Doily Table Runner from Sadie Seasongoods
- Doily Tablecloth from Feminine Modern
- Doilly Lamp from DOSFAMILY
- Doily Dream Catcher from My Pinterventures
- Doily Covered Lampshade from A Beautiful Mess
- Doily Pillow from Etsy
- Doily Garland from Etsy
- Doily Quilt from V and Co.
- Doily Luminaries from Crafts by Amanda
ACCESSORIES MADE WITH DOILIES
Make some doily jewelry and other accessories with some of these fun doily ideas.
- Ombre Lace Jewelry from glamour and grace
- Doily Bracelets from Country Living
- Vintage Doily Necklace from Elizabeth Anne
- Doily Pockets from The Polka Dot Closet
- Doily Handwarmers from Rangi Rangi
- DIY Ombre Doily Onesie from V and Co.
HOW TO MAKE ART OUT OF DOILIES?
- Doily Button Flower Art from The Whoot
- Doily Dream Catcher Art from The Whoot
- Doily Bouqet from Lillybuds
- Doily Cake Toppper from Poppytalk
- Doily Bowls from Free People Blog
- Crocheted Covered Rocks from free people
- Doily Hot Air Balloon from JoAnn
- Doily Pin Cushion from Etsy
- Clay Ornament Doily from Nina’s Apartment
- Doily Pumpkins from fave crafts
- Valentine’s Day Doilies crafts
HOW TO FRAME VINTAGE LACE DOILIES?
Tips for Framing an Antique Doily
- You will want to make sure to use acid-free backing and materials when you frame your vintage doilies. The acid can weaken and cause the lace doilies to yellow over time.
- Hand sewing the doily to the back of the frame display board will allow you to be able to attach it safely. Most adhesives can cause discoloration.
- Leave some space in front of the doilies so that the glass is not laying against or touching the material.
- If you can try to find a UV filtering glass in your frame so you can protect your doily from fading from exposure to sunlight.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER REPURPOSED CRAFT IDEAS
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.