Learn how to make these hanging paper rose balls! They are made out of tissue paper and we are sharing a step-by-step tutorial! These tissue paper flowers make great decor for a wedding or a girls bedroom.
Have you ever made Tissue Paper Roses? These paper roses were one of my very first projects I shared here on The Idea Room…several years ago and they have also been one of my most popular craft projects.
There are so many ways to use them in in your holiday decorating, as part of your home decor or for some fun and unique wedding decor. The possibilities are endless! And they are really simple to make. You just need a little patience and a good chick flick to watch while making them.
*side note: The crepe paper streamers in the Dollar Store are VERY thin and the paper roses don’t seem to turn out as nicely as the thick crepe paper streamers.
HOW TO MAKE A PAPER ROSE
- Cut the Crepe Paper into strips that measure about 24 inches. If you want the roses to be smaller (less wide) cut your strip shorter. If you want them wider increase the length to include more inches.
- Crumple each strip by crushing the paper into a ball. This will make the tissue paper and the paper roses softer. (This part is optional, but I like how it looks in the finished project better than not crushing the tissue paper).
- Fold the top 1/3 of it down so it is not as wide (again…optional).
- Start rolling the paper up while pinching the bottom of the paper together. You want the top to grow wider as the bottom stays pinched together.
- As you roll, twist the tissue paper as you roll it up to create a slightly uneven top edge. This will give your roses a more realistic look.
- Add a small dot of hot glue as you get the rose half rolled to keep it from unraveling. Be sure to put this in the middle of the rose and not at the top so the glue doesn’t show.
- When you get all the way to the end add another drop of glue to hold the whole rose together.
- Glue the roses onto your styrofoam ball or other surface.
- Repeat until your roses cover the entire project.
The kissing ball has a history as a nostalgic symbol of holiday goodwill and romance. Originating during the Middle Ages, evergreen kissing balls were hung in passageways and doorways to bring good fortune and blessings to anyone who passed beneath them.
TISSUE PAPER BALLS
Centuries later, the kissing ball we know now can be covered by flowers and foliage for a beautiful hanging ornament or round ball, while symbolizing kindness and love. Our version of the tissue paper balls make a beautiful decoration throughout your home for any holiday occasion or every day decor!
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER TISSUE PAPER FLOWERS
BUY TISSUE PAPER FLOWERS
Don’t want to make your own, or don’t have the time? Check out these adorable tissue paper flowers that you can buy!
If you liked this post, I would love for you to pin or share it! It helps me keep this website going and sharing more projects with you! Thank you so much! xoxo
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.