Mississippi Mud Brownies

I recently needed a little chocolate pick me up.  And I was craving brownies.  Who doesn’t crave a brownie every now again? But I wanted something a little more fancy than a regular brownie.  So I decided to make some Mississippi Mud Brownies.

Brownies

All you need is your favorite brownie recipe and some Oreo Cookies to crush.

Best Brownie Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup mini marshmallows

Oreo Cookie Crust (crush about 30-40 Oreos after removing frosting center)

1/8 cup melted butter

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan.
  2. Pull out 1/8 cup of crushed Oreos and set aside.  Spread the rest of the Oreo Cookie crust into the bottom of the pan with the melted butter and press firmly. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes on 350 degrees.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually stir into the egg mixture until well blended.  Fold in the marshmallows.  Set aside.
  4. Remove from oven and layer on the brownie mix.  Sprinkle the rest of the crushed Oreos on the top of the brownie mix in clumps.
  5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the brownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. Let cool on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

Brownie Recipe

Enjoy with a friend and a your favorite glass of ice cold milk!

mississippi-mud-brownies 2wm

Comments

Rebecca–I am sure it would be totally fine to replace the marshmallows with the cookie centers. I just don’t like the centers of the Oreos ;). So that is why I added marshmallows. But I think it would be a great way to use up the entire Oreo cookie and not have any waste.

• Nikole says

That is an awesome question! as a mother of 3 i am always looking for ways to conserve. So using the oreo filling instead of marshmallows is GENIUS ! I never thought of that! Ok totes trying that!

I’m sure she’ll never ask for the boxed kind again after eating your wfdenroul brownies. You just can’t beat homemade, especially a kicked up homemade version.

Oh yum and since I’m not a marshmallow fan, I think I’ll try Rebecca’s suggestion and use the whole Oreo. These are very dangerous!!

2. Megan says

Just made these! They are lovely and extremely decadent. Definitely think I’ll serve them warm with some vanilla ice cream to break the richness. I didn’t use so many oreos though. I used a box of 16 and added a little extra butter to get the crumbs to bind better. I feel a thicker crust as well as the crumble on top will be too overpowering.

3. Kristen says

This looks yummy! I do not see a print friendly option under the recipe though — am I overlooking it?

There is not a print option. That was before I was using a recipe plugin. Sorry!! Working on getting them all printer friendly!!

yummmmy…i love chocolate…will bake these for my almost 2 yr. old great grandson’s b’day party next week. will be the first recipe in his recipe book. i made recipe books for my grand-daughters…what ever home-made recipe we made together i copied and it went into their recipe books…they still have them and now another generation making cookbooks filled w/home-made recipes. technically gavin hasn’t made these w/ me but his mom can make them w/him and continue our tradition…thanks for a great recipe…thelma

What a fun and lovely tradition. Your grandchildren will have a great momento and memories of baking with you! Thank you for sharing that!

1. [...] This dessert is too good to be true! I’ve never seen any dessert creation as voluptuous as this. Just looking at this would surely make you smile, so a bite would surely make you feel contented. I’m sure this is a lavish dessert that you would never get tired eating everyday!For the recipe and full instructions go here [...]