We had 10 uneaten ripe bananas last week. Sometimes I buy bananas and they disappear in one day…other times they sit…uneaten…for days…and I am forced to make some delicious banana recipes. This time we used them up in some Cinnamon Banana Coffee Cake, our favorite Banana Bread and these Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These are one of my absolute favorite cookie recipes. I like to make a big batch and then freeze most of them. Then just grab a cookie or two out of the freezer and either pop them in the microwave when I need one or throw them in the kids school lunch box.
The dough can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days if you want to save some dough and bake the cookies later. Dough can also be frozen and used for later. Just be sure to thaw it in the fridge before using.
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 large egg
2 small/medium or 1 extra-large ripe bananas (about 1/2 heaping cup banana)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned whole rolled oats
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the egg, bananas, sugars, butter, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until well combined, about 4 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the chocolate chips, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- Using a large spoon or cookie scoop, form cookie dough into equal sized balls.
- Place dough mounds on greased baking sheet and bake for about 13 minutes
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet or a cookie rack for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
These cookies are a great way to use up your overripe bananas. They are a great little twist on the classic Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies! I think you might enjoy them as much as our family does. They go fast so you might want to make a double batch.
Would you like more recipes, printables, DIY/Decor, and organization ideas?
Sign up for updates and get a free copy or our Sugar Scrubs eBook!