The weather here has been so unusual. We usually are knee deep in snow and cold temperatures but we have been enjoying 50’s and 60’s for a few weeks now. I am not going to lie…it has been pretty nice and has me dreaming of Spring, in the form of Lemon Meltaway Cookies!
But, we were reminded that it is still Winter yesterday, as a big snow storm blew in. The last time we had any measurable snow at my house in the past few weeks was on Christmas Day!
Are you feeling like you could use some Spring in your life too? These Lemon Meltaways ought to do the trick. These are light and flakey and are melt in your mouth delicious! These cookies are made with 5 simple ingredients that most of you probably have in your home right now!
Lemon Meltaway Cookies
1 cup butter
½ cup powdered sugar
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
½ cup cornstarch
1 2/3 cup flour
food coloring (optional)
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Roll Cookies into 1 inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet (or parchment paper).
- Bake at 350 for 9 minutes.
- Remove from oven and press down and flatten the cookie with a glass.
- Place back in oven for 1-2 minutes.
- Cookies are done when top starts to crack. Edges may be slightly browned.
- Let cool completely.
- Make the icing. Place about a cup of powdered sugar in a bowl, slowly add some lemon juice until you have the consistency you want.
- Add food coloring if desired.
- Gently spoon frosting onto cookies with the back of a spoon…these cookies are very delicate and a little crumbly so handle with care.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest if desired.
I ended up making some with a yellow tinted frosting and some with a white frosting which I added a little bit of lemon zest too. I think my favorites were the ones that I used the white frosting on. They both tasted exactly the same, but I just loved the look of the white frosting with the lemon zest in it. Such a pretty cookie!
So light and refreshing! Are you a fan of citrus in your desserts?
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.