*This post is in collaboration with JOANN. I am honored to be working with a company that I truly love!
With summer drawing to an end, I have been eager to put up some lovely fall decor! I absolutely love this time of year for so many reasons. Fall brings with it some of my favorite things…cooler weather, rainy days, colorful fall leaves, sweaters, boots, pumpkin spice and pumpkins!
I don’t know what it is about pumpkins that I love so much…but they are one of my favorite fall decor items. If it is a pumpkin or something related to a pumpkin, I always seem drawn to them.
I found some beautiful fall decor items from my local JOANN! They have such a wide variety of Holiday and Seasonal Home Decor items that are perfect for decorating your home for the upcoming holidays. It was difficult to narrow down my favorites to just a few items with which to create my fall mantle.
I hung up the wooden Farmhouse Pumpkin Sign that I made last year. Then I added these gorgeous Gold Lanterns in the large and small sizes. I am really loving gold right now…are you?
I love them so much, and I think I will grab a few more for some other areas in my home!
I also picked up these faux floral Hydrangea’s in this classy cream color. Hydrangea’s are one of my favorite flowers, and I just love displaying them in my home! I placed them in this small bamboo basket that I also grabbed from JOANN.
I initially was going to fill the bottom of the basket with some tissue paper or green leaves, but I actually am loving that you can see through the basket!
And because one can never have too many pumpkins, I wanted to make some DIY Fabric Pumpkins to add my fall mantle. These fabric pumpkins are so easy to make. If you can sew a straight line, you’ve got this! I love that you can get really creative with them and customize them to your own personal preferences!
How to Make DIY Fabric Pumpkins
fabric of your choice (mine measured 9 x 18)
sewing machine (or needle and thread)
hot glue gun
- Take you fabric of choice and cut a piece that measures 9 x 18. You can make this any size you want. I wanted my pumpkins to be round and square-ish, so I made sure my pumpkin would be about 8.5 x 8.5 inches when it was finished. If you want a taller pumpkin increase the height of your fabric.
- Fold the material in half so the the right sides of the material are on the inside.
- Sew together the shorter sides using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
- Turn the material that is now connected in a circle like tube, so that the right side of the material is on the outside.
5. Sew a running stitch on one open side of the tube. You can do this on your machine or with a needle and thread. (This will be a very big and loose stitch so that you can pull the thread to gather the material together). Do not backstitch.
6. Pull the thread on each end to gather the material together.
7. Pull it as tight as you can without breaking your thread. You will want the end completely sealed together. You may need to stitch it together with a needle and thread to secure it tightly.
8. Sew another running stitch on the other open end of the tube.
9. Pull the ends of the thread on each end and gather the material together again. This time, don’t pull it all the way tight.
10. Stuff the pumpkin with the fiberfill stuffing as tightly as you like and until the pumpkin is the shape you want it to be.
11. Take a tree branch and cut off a small piece to create a stem for your pumpkin.
12. Cut a pumpkin leaf out of green felt. You can use this free printable pumpkin leaf template if you would like, or create your own!
13. Glue the branch into place in the middle of the pumpkin. Be sure to hold together the edges of the material so that it stem is sealed in the pumpkin. Be careful as the hot glue will be hot!
14. When the glue has set, glue your pumpkin leaf to the top of the pumpkin.
That’s it! I love how easy they are to make. These took me about 30 minutes to put together! I think I will make some more in different colors to add to other areas of my home. You can also get creative with the type of material you use to add different textures to your pumpkins!
Be sure to check out your local JOANN (or shop online) for some great Holiday and Seasonal decor and creative inspiration!
Would you like more recipes, printables, DIY/Decor, and organization ideas?
Sign up for updates and get a free copy or our Sugar Scrubs eBook!