Make your own DIY Heart Hand Warmers with this simple step by step tutorial. FREE printable Heart Pattern and Hand Warmers gift tag. Great Valentine’s Day gift idea.
Is it cold and wintery where you are? January and February here is usually cold and snowy…but we have been having a very mild winter. I am kind of missing the snow but can’t complain about sunshine and warmth :). But…I know things could change back to winter very quickly. At any rate…the mornings and evenings are cold enough that some Hand Warmers would be particularly nice.
VALENTINE’S DAY GIFT
How cute are these? These Hand Warmers are not anything new. I have seen them in all shapes and sizes, but I thought they would be such a great gift for Valentine’s Day. And they are so easy to make. Most likely you have everything you need to make some RIGHT NOW! They literally take minutes to make and you can use up your scrap fabric to make them.
HOW TO MAKE HAND WARMERS
I am sharing the pattern with you so that you can create some with the same pattern. You can find the pattern below.
- Flannel Fabric
- Pinking Shears Scissor or Fabric Scissors
- Sewing Machine
- Cut out 2 hearts in your fabric (I used Flannel I bought at JoAnn’s)
- Place the two hearts together with the right side of the fabric facing out on the front and back of the heart (we will not be turning the hearts inside out).
- Start sewing around the edge on one of the flat sides of the heart leaving about a 1/4 seam on the edge of the heart. Be sure to reinforce where you stop and start with some back stitching.
- Leave a small opening so that you can fill the Hand Warmers with some rice. I used a funnel to make it really easy. If you don’t have a funnel, simply roll up a piece of paper and use it as a funnel.
- Finish sewing up the opening on the sewing machine or by hand.
- Trim the edges of the hearts with pinking shears if you want the zig zag edges.
That is it! Such a simple project. My girls are obsessed with these and have been complaining of “cold hands” so they can use them. They are the perfect size to heat up and pop into your coat pockets too. Great for warming up cold hands while walking to school, or when they come in from playing outside.
HOW TO USE HAND WARMERS
I know a few people who would love to receive these as gifts too this year. So I created a simple little gift tag to go with them if you end up giving some as gifts. These can be heated in the microwave for about 30 seconds (microwave time may vary depending on your microwave). Always remember to use caution as they can become pretty warm. Always check how warm they are before giving to small children. If you pop them into the freezer, they can also be good for kids when they get an owie or a bruise too!
PRINTABLE GIFT TAG
Looking for the DIY Heart Hand Warmers Pattern and Gift Tag? Click on the links below to download and/or print them.
VALENTINE’S DAY IDEAS
I came up with some other Valentine projects. Sharing them below:
- Valentine Hearts Yahtzee Game
- Valentines Day Table Decorations
- Handprint Activity for Kids
- Heart Hand Warmers
- Valentines Day Classroom Parties
- Valentines Day Classroom Boxes
- Paper Heart Garland
- Valentines Day Sign
- Sealed with a Kiss
- Candy Cane Heart Suckers
VALENTINE DINNER PRINTABLES
Interested in grabbing the Valentine Party Labels? If so, I am offering them for a great deal at only $3.99! Simply click on the button below!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.