Use our Office Organization Tips to help you tackle your cluttered office space. Office Organization helps you regain control of your space which enables you to become more productive and successful in your work.
My work space is a combination of an office and a craft space. Since my work is pretty intertwined with crafts, it makes sense that the two are combined. I am always involved in a project and usually have several going at the same time. I love it! But that means that my office and work space can become cluttered and messy very quickly which can interfere with my productivity some days.
I finally took the time to get this space REALLY organized and functional and I wish I would have done it months ago! If you are interested in seeing a video of the whole room right before I tackled it, you can see it on my IG feed highlights under ORGANIZATION here.
Do you have an office/craft room that needs some organization? Today I am sharing with you some of my best organization tips so you can take control of your work space too!
TIPS FOR OFFICE ORGANIZATION
Taking control of your work space allows your freedom to work without the distraction of clutter. An organized office can also leave you feeling more competent and in control, thus allowing you to be more productive with your time.
- Empty out spaces. Clean everything out of your cupboard or drawer.
- Purge. Go through and purge your items to de-clutter, throw away, donate any items you do not need or want to keep.
- Gather and redistribute. Gather up every item that isn’t where it belongs and put it where it does…or place it in a pile with other similar items until you create a space for it to go.
- Determine a work flow. Organize items in cupboards and drawers in a way that makes sense with your work flow. I like to organize items in groups of how they are to be used and how you like to work in your space.
- Close proximity and easy access. Place items that are used often in easy to grab spaces for easy access. Place items that are used less often in an area that you don’t need to access often so they are not in the way of your work flow.
- Labels. Create and label your storage items so that they are found easily. This also adds some flair to your office space. It’s a fun way to personalize your space.
- Organize your desktop. Make your work space as organized as possible promote success and productivity.
- Clear off countertops. Leave countertops clean so you have ample space to work and spread out projects as needed. Nothing is more frustrating that having to work in a cluttered space where its hard to find what you need, when you need it!
ORGANIZING OFFICE SUPPLIES
ORGANIZE YOUR OFFICE DRAWERS
I am a firm believer that an organized office can increase your productivity and your motivation. I just work better and feel more motivated in a clean space. There isn’t clutter which has been proven to cause feelings of depression.
So…when you are organizing your office drawers, fill them with the things you use on a daily basis. If it is the drawer right by your active work area, be sure to place items in an organized manner in there that you will need access to. This prevents you from having to get up and grab something which can interfere with your focus and your momentum.
By using drawer organizers, everything can have a place and also helps keep things in order. As a result, organizers remind you to put it back where it goes when you are finished using it.
- Clear plastic drawer organizers
- white plastic drawer organizers
- bamboo organizer
- multipurpose junk drawer organizer
- desk organizing tray
- A lot of paper comes into my home on a daily basis from mail, to homework and school projects and it can be hard to maintain it all. Having set up some systems really work for us.
- Keep all unused paper in drawers organized as the type of paper. I keep the computer paper in the office by the printer in the drawer just below it.
- We organize all the kids papers into their own filing folders in the kitchen desk. Anything they want to keep goes in their file. I sometimes take a photo of the project if they want to remember it and then recycle the paper so I don’t have to store it somewhere.
- All my work files get filed in a filing drawer.
PAPER ORGANIZATION SUPPLIES
- Paper Shredder
- Hanging File Folders
- Manila Folders
- Avery Sticker Labels
- 3 drawer bin (12 x 12 paper fits in here perfectly)
SEWING SUPPLIES ORGANIZATION
If you sew and have sewing supplies, gather and group them all together so they are easy to find when you need them. I found it easiest to group them in drawers. Then when I am sewing, I can actually pull the drawer out and have it next to me when I am using the sewing machine. That way I don’t have to get up and grab something when I need it since it is in the drawer.
I save my sewing scraps and have them arranged nice and pretty in one of my storage drawers. I have a few larger pieces of material that I don’t store here. Because I use them rarely they are in a bin in my downstairs storage room.
I love using storage bins to organize various items. I can’t buy a storage bin unless I know exactly what I am going to use it for, this way I have a definite plan for how I am going to use something. Having a plan saves a lot of money and allows me to plan out how to use my space to it’s fullest potential!
STORAGE BIN ORGANIZERS
These are the storage bins that I used in this space.
- Large Flip Top Box
- Small Flip Top Box (2 of these fit perfectly on the large flip top box)
- small 3 drawer storage bin
- 6 qt. drawer
- 16 qt. drawer
- 27 qt. drawer
- 3 drawer bin (12 x 12 paper fits in here perfectly)
- 6 qt. shoe box storage
- 1/2 qt. glass jar
- 1 gallon glass jar
- 1 gallon candy jar
- cable clips
- embroidery floss organizer
OFFICE ORGANIZATION LABELS
Using labels in my organization really helps me feel like the organization process is complete. I love how it just finishes off the space so nicely. I also love that my kids don’t really have an excuse that they don’t know where things so…which is why they didn’t put it away properly!
There are a lot of ways you can add a label. You can use a Cricut Maker to create and customize your own labels like I did. In fact, you can use my exact labels by clicking on the button now!
OTHER ORGANIZATION LABELS
I have had many of you ask about our white storage cabinets in our room. While those are a custom build we had someone come in and do, I have found some comparable ones for you to check out if you are interested. I have some in our garage that we bought from Lowe’s but I can no longer find them on their site. I found some similar ones from Home Depot as well.
I love how using a storage cabinet I can hide everything away for a fresh clean look in my office…although now that it is so nicely organized, I might just think about leaving the storage cabinet doors open all of the time!
Many of you may know that I am releasing an Organization Course to help you bring clarity and balance to your life and home. My Organization Course is called The Balanced Home. I am so excited to be able to share with you so many of the tips and tricks I use to keep my home clean and organized with 5 busy children! It makes me so happy to be able to share that with you and help you get on top of your clutter!
If you are interested in learning more about the Organization Course, you can check it out by clicking on the button below. I would love for you to join us!
OTHER ORGANIZATION PROJECTS
If you are interested in taking a deeper look into some of the spaces in my home, check out the following posts!
- Medicine Cabinet Organization
- Laundry room
- Pantry Organization
- Spices Organization
- Clothing Organization & Storage Labels
- Printable Gluten Free Labels
- Printable Kitchen Organization Labels
- Christmas Decor Organization Labels
- Recipe Binder
- Weekly Meal Planner
Happy Organizing! I hope it makes you as happy as it does me!
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.