Sharing how and why you should get your family out skiing together in Utah with the Ski Utah Program. With 10 major ski resorts within one hour from the Salt Lake Airport, anyone can take advantage of the great Utah snow!
THE GREATEST SNOW ON EARTH
Utah has long claimed to have some of the greatest snow on earth. What exactly does that mean and why is it so important? According to scientific research Utah really does have great snow. I wanted to share some of the research that goes in to determining what makes snow so great.
5 REASONS UTAH’S SNOW IS SO GREAT
- Snow Density: According to Ski Utah, Utah’s snow density is about 8.5 percent. The percentage is the amount of water content. This means the snow is the perfect mix of dry and fluffy snow mixed with wet and heavy snow.
- Amount of Snow: Utah Ski Resorts get an average of 500 inches of snowfall per year with many getting more than that some years. From December through March, more than a foot of snow falls every five days. Compared to other ski resorts in the nation, Utah is always a good bet when you want lots of snow!
- Large Snow Storms: Each year, Utah averages about 18 Utah Powder Days…or storms that bring more than 12 inches of snow or more within a 24-hour time period.
- Lake Effect Snow: Because of the unique features of the Salt Lake Valley, storms develop over the Pacific Ocean and move into the area. As the storms moves over the Great Salt Lake, we get a lot of Lake effect snow. The air gets colder and drier as it progresses the mountains. This causes the snow to be denser as the precipitation falls as a light, dry snowfall.
- Number of Ski Resorts: There are 15 ski resorts in Utah, of which, 10 are within an hour’s drive of the airport. That is a lot of great skiing options with a wide variety of terrain!
SKIING WITH FAMILY
Skiing anywhere with your family is fun. Whether the snow is the greatest snow on earth or not. But when you have access to the greatest snow, you should really take advantage of it. Plus, spending time in the outdoors with your family is always a great idea!
As a family we have always enjoyed spending time together on the ski slopes. I grew up in Utah skiing with my family at Park West, which is now part of Park City Ski Resort. So when I had my own family, my husband and I were excited to teach our kids how to ski so we could continue to enjoy the sport together.
SKI UTAH PASSPORT PROGRAM
Ski Utah created a skiing program to help families and their kids to get outdoors, learn and develop great skiing or snowboarding skills, and be able to experience all of Utah’s Ski Resorts at a great and reasonable price.
WHAT IS THE SKI UTAH PASSPORT PROGRAM?
Want To Make Your Holiday Planning EASY And ORGANIZED?
Check Out Our CHRISTMAS ESSENTIALS
- The 5th Grade Ski Pass: 5th Graders can ski or ride 3 times at each of Utah’s resorts.
- The 6th Grade Ski Pass: 6th Graders can ski or ride 1 time at each of Utah’s resorts.
SKI UTAH PASSPORT DETAILS
- Ski Utah’s 5th and 6th Grade Passport Program is completely digital. You don’t need anything special to redeem your day tickets. Your children just need to go up to the resort window and give their name and birthdate to the resort employee. They will look your child up in the system and give them their ski pass for the day!
- 5th graders get 3 days (45 days total) and 6th graders get 1 day (15 days in total) at all 15 Utah resorts for a one-time fee of $45. The program is available to any 5th and 6th graders in the world…not just those living in Utah! So you can plan a family ski vacation here and use this amazing discount for your own children!
- The Passport also provides hundreds of dollars in discounts on lessons, rentals, off hill activities and even accompanying adult lift tickets, a huge savings for families.
We have 10 resorts within an hour of the airport, so it’s easy to try different mountains with the Passport program. What a great program to take advantage of if you are wanting to plan a skiing vacation with your family this year!
As an outdoors family, skiing is one of our favorite things to do together as a family in the winter. We taught all of our children to ski when they were about 5 years old…and they have enjoyed skiing with us ever since. There are so many great options to get your kids on skis whether you teach them yourself, or sign them up for ski lessons.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SKI UTAH PASSPORTS
If you have any more questions about the Ski Utah Program and how to take advantage of it, you can ask me in the comments below or you can click on the link provided to see some of the commonly asked questions about the passport program here.
UTAH SKI RESORTS
Utah is blessed with several amazing ski resorts ranging in price from very family friendly to luxury resorts! There is truly something for everyone depending on what you are looking for…and the skiing is great at all of them. Here are a lists of Utah’s Ski Resorts.
Metro Area Resorts
Big Cottonwood Canyon | Salt Lake City
- Brighton Ski Resort
- Solitude Mountain Resort
Little Cottonwood Canyon | Salt Lake City
- Alta Ski Area
- Powder Mountain
- Nordic Valley Resort
- Deer Valley Resort
- Park City Mountain
- Woodward Park City
- Sundance Resort
Northern Utah Resorts
- Beaver Mountain Resort (2 hours from Salt Lake City)
- Cherry Peak Resort (2 hours from Salt Lake City)
Southern Utah Resorts
- Brian Head Resort (3.5 hours from Salt Lake City)
- Eagle Point Resort (3.5 hours from Salt Lake City)
To learn more about each of the resorts listed above, you can visit Ski Utah’s site here for more information and links to each resort’s site.
Disclaimer: Compensation was provided by Ski Utah via Momtrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of Ski Utah or Momtrends.
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Would you like more Recipes, DIY, Printables and Organization Ideas?
Subscribing to the newsletter will enable us to periodically send you creative content exclusively for Idea Room subscribers.